Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 05:57 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,728,534 times

Advertisements

So basically he learned not to volunteer information or use words he’s unsure of. Great lesson to be taught in school, which is supposed to be a place to get your questions answered. This is a six year old, not a ten year old who would know that “sex” isn’t generally a polite thing to talk about in mixed company. I agree that it was handled stupidly. By making a big deal out of it by requiring a meeting and an apology, the teacher just made it certain that the other children will remember the word “sex” and that it’s a Naughty Word much along the lines of “poop head.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2018, 06:30 AM

666 posts, read 643,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
"Political Correctness" run amuck -- courtesy of the teachers' desire to turn the entire school system into their personal fiefdom.

These are first graders (six-year-olds)!; and we're supposed to let the urban dictionary impose adult(?) standards?
No.

It really seems like a shame that a child can't even be corrected anymore without the immediate cry of "political correctness". When I was in school the kid would have probably gotten a real punishment, not just had to issue an apology.

Old 04-11-2018, 07:48 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,195,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aboom View Post
My son said "that means sex" when he saw a boy do the "rabbit ears" behind a girls head in class. ....

Thoughts?
I would have said, "Joey, sit down and be quiet," and moved on with class. Afterwards I might have mentioned to Joey, "We don't say that in class. Okay."

What the teacher in his school would be obliged to do after that I don't know, tell some counselor. But, I think the next move would be just to tell the parent what happened and let them handle what Joey knows, etc.

This is, of course, a rather old fashion approach.

Old 04-11-2018, 07:48 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,736,853 times
Quote:
I have let it go but the way it was handled was not the way i would have done it. Thanks for your thoughts.
No you do not need to let it go.

I do like what Kevxu said above! He is 6 and he obviously had no clue what he was talking about. I would send the teacher an email and explain to her that what your son said did not warrant an apology. Even if he did know what it meant he didn't do or say anything wrong. I find the younger the teacher is the more "politically correct" they try to be. I agree that kids need to apologize to others when they do something wrong, but in this case I don't think anything was wrong here. The word "Sex" is not a bad word and again, I would think most 6 yr olds don't even know what it means.

I have 2 kids, one in 6th and one in 4th. Don't hold back your feelings or concerns when it comes to your child at school. Now I don't mean for you to be one of those parents who calls about every little thing, but if something is truly bothering you then you need to discuss it with the child's teacher. Most teachers welcome interaction with the parents.

Old 04-11-2018, 08:05 AM

250 posts, read 148,342 times
Let me put it this way: i have blown it off in the sense of acting upon anything as that would be silly and counterproductive. I have not blown off the desire to hear the thoughts of others regarding the matter. As i mentioned in another response, my experience with another public school system was not good. Nowadays, when issues arise, seeking out others thoughts help me to stay on target with seeing the matter properly. If i am wrong in my perception i am open to acknowledging that. Thanks for your responses.

Old 04-11-2018, 08:28 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
It sounds like you are upset, and I guess I would be too.

On the other hand, I looked it up on urban dictionary, and apparently he's right.

So the teacher and counselor learned something that day. ;D
Oh My!

If you want to lose your breakfast, just look up bunny ears in the Urban Dictionary. I wish that I had not done that.

Old 04-11-2018, 08:35 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,888,603 times
Quote:
Let me put it this way: i have blown it off in the sense of acting upon anything as that would be silly and counterproductive. I have not blown off the desire to hear the thoughts of others regarding the matter. As i mentioned in another response, my experience with another public school system was not good. Nowadays, when issues arise, seeking out others thoughts help me to stay on target with seeing the matter properly. If i am wrong in my perception i am open to acknowledging that. Thanks for your responses.
I agree it was an over reaction on the school's part. We have been in some terrible schools and seen some absurd things. But I also learned over the years its really important to let some things go and be a cheerleader for the school. It helps the kids feel like they belong there, like its a home away from home. It makes everything much easier in the long run for them.

But...not all schools deserve to be their home away from home. Some really suck.

I guess what it comes down to is trusting the school and the teacher...which means letting them do things we don't always agree with as long as it isn't harming the child.

Is there other things about this school that you haven't liked?

Old 04-11-2018, 08:37 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,888,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Oh My!

If you want to lose your breakfast, just look up bunny ears in the Urban Dictionary. I wish that I had not done that.
Thanks for the warning...I think I will skip it...although now my mind is running amuck.

Old 04-11-2018, 08:39 AM

12,847 posts, read 9,060,155 times
The question is "what was he corrected for?" Correction implies he did something wrong. What was done to the kid who actually made the sign? Opportunity for learning for the whole class lost.

Old 04-11-2018, 08:51 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,633 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
The question is "what was he corrected for?" Correction implies he did something wrong. What was done to the kid who actually made the sign? Opportunity for learning for the whole class lost.
I don't get it. What should be done to the kid who made the sign? It's a funny, cute thing people do, no harm meant.

And then the boy informed that person of the new/risque connotation to that symbol, out of innocence.

Seems to me the teacher might have just pulled the kid aside and said when kids do it, it's a fun bunny ear thing and it doesn't mean anything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting