Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 06:14 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,251,255 times

Advertisements

What sensible parent buys those shorts for their daughter? After all of the recent press about child molesters, why would anyone draw more attention to their childs bottom? I love seeing my daughter with a bow in her hair, a smocked dress and sweet sandals. They are only little for a short time...why rush it??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 12:33 AM

738 posts, read 1,884,419 times
The designers design the clothes so the little girls can look sexy. ?????
I refuse to buy them for my 12yo.
The plunging necklines and the midriff tops. No way. I know what it is like and she is way too young so I refuse to buy.

What irks me is when i hear a mom say to her young girl: "oh you look so sexy."

I saw a couple buying thongs for their little girl who must have been 3YO.

I remember seeing pictures of JonBenet Ramsey in 1996.
At the time, the media described her as "a painted baby, a sexualized toddler beauty queen."

Crazy....absolute nut jobs!!!!!!!!

Old 03-27-2008, 12:43 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
I saw the funniest book about a year ago and the title was "Girl, stop dressing your six year old like a skank!" That title says it all!
I agree. Why do parents buy and dress their daughters like that? Aren't THEY in control????? To me it seems odd when I see a mother dressed naturally in slacks/jeans and a nice top and her little daughter is either dressed like a Shirley Temple doll or a hooker. Makes me think they haven't outgrown their need for a doll to play dressup with or they're trying to sell her to the highest bidder WHY would anyone do that to a child?

Old 03-27-2008, 04:39 AM

893 posts, read 791,220 times
The sooner the manufactruers go back to the basics the better. All stores contain almost 100% crap today, that's why it's all on the clearance racks. Bring me back the old Gap

Old 03-27-2008, 06:37 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,898,795 times
It was hard enough to buy a First Communion dress for my 8 year old back 5 years ago. The stores only sold sleeveless or spaghetti strap ones. My BIL who was visiting with us then and went shopping with us was aghast...I mean when I was growing up, you at least required sleeves to receive First Communion. Needless to say, I had to order on the internet from a store that sold this specifically, and was very happy with the product!

Old 03-27-2008, 09:19 AM

12 posts, read 32,327 times
I buy a lot of my 8y/o daughter's clothes from the Talbots catalog. Target stores also have some shorts without writing. I can not imagine what the industry is thinking with the words they put on the butt of little girls shorts and pants. My daughter will not being wearing them.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:23 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,967,807 times
Any parent who lets their daughters wear the sleazy clothing that is rampant today needs their heads examined. All of these short shorts, tight shirts with belly buttons showing, and pants/shorts with writing across the butt.....I can't believe anyone would let their kids wear this garbage. Too many parents who don't want to take the time to set boundaries for their kids these days.....

I'm just glad I have 2 boys......this is something I don't have to worry about. BUT....I'll be damned if my sons will ever wear the ridiculous huge baggy pants with their underwear showing or the flat-brimmed baseball hats worn cockeyed.

Old 03-27-2008, 10:02 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,269,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsmom View Post
I thank God I have a boy! I could not handle trying to dress a girl today. I was at the school a month or so ago doing a volunteer thing when a class walked by the lounge I was in. I heard this clicking like heels and looked up. This kindergartener(!) had on two of those spaghetti strap tops and the top one was all sparkly with these capri embellished jeans with heeled sandals! Nevermind that is was still cold, but WTF? Who would let a 5/6 year old dress like that?
I had the same thought--Glad I had a boy!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
I saw the funniest book about a year ago and the title was "Girl, stop dressing your six year old like a skank!" That title says it all!

That is funny, but oh, so true unfortunately.

Old 03-27-2008, 10:18 AM

3,086 posts, read 7,615,317 times
It's not a new trend, sadly. I was faced with the same thing with my oldest, who will be 26 next week. Things that were way off base for her age/size when she was growing up.

Right now my biggest challenge is finding clothes that fit my 10 yr old who is very tall and very skinny. I can find lots of clothes that are fine for her to wear, but the fit is the issue.

One note....when you shop, don't even look at the front fixtures as that is where all the focus items go. Head to a round rack or folded clothes on the shelves to find most of the basic clothing. This holds true from Walmart to Old Navy to Macy's.

Old 03-27-2008, 12:40 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,492,794 times
I also can't believe the styles that are out there today for the little girls.
I am also happy to see my little girl in a cute,little knit dress and a bow in her hair.
She is of the few I have to say (in kindergarten) who still dresses like this, and luckily, does'nt mind it-right now.
I stick to mainly ordering out of the catalogs, CW Kids has great play dresses as does LL Bean,and Lands End.
Her "look" is obvious that mommy still has a say in what she wears,but as I said, she doesn't care right now and honestly, when we go out she tends to go in that direction.
So it is fine with me

I saw a shirt in Limited Too the other day while looking for a bday gift for a friend's daughter who is older than mine and I was shocked at some of the t-shirt graphics.
One said " If it wasn't for boys, I wouldn't be in school" and they sold them in sizes that I assume 2nd-5th graders would wear....

I say shame on the parents who purchase those clothes for their girls, because the girls at that age are obviously not doing it themselves!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting