Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2018, 11:52 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,229,741 times

Advertisements

Wow, you all are judgemental. Anyone stop to think that maybe this mom had an older child or stepchild graduating, or husband, even sibling, wasn't able to get a sitter but did not want to miss such an important occasion? I get some people don't think the ceremonies are a big deal, but for others they are, who knows what kind of an achievement it was for them. Imagine a young adult looking to see their mom there and not seeing her, they wouldn't even know she left because of the baby, they would just be disappointed. My husband got his PhD when our son was 18 months, and we went and sat through the ceremony until he walked on the stage, keeping DS as quiet as I could, I packed snacks and books and let him play with my phone, luckily he made it through but even if he screamed, I think I would try to maybe leave but come back to make sure I don't miss it. People don't usually enjoy sitting in a crowd with a screaming toddler. If she did it she probably had a good reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2018, 01:02 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,105,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
It used to be common for many churches to have "cry rooms" to take the little one so as not to disturb everyone else. There would usually be speakers in there so the mom, or whoever wouldn't miss what was going on. Those were a great invention.
I love the cry rooms; I wouldn’t be able to attend church at all without them. My youngest is 14 but disabled & can be unexpectedly & spontaneously noisy. He also rocks back & forth & flaps his hands. I don’t even try getting a regular spot & go directly to the cry room.

Funny thing is; babies are really attracted to him. If he even walks past a crying kid in a shopping cart; they will stop mid scream & stare at him ... When we are in the cry room, it turns into a quiet room.

I don’t understand why more parents aren’t embarrassed by their child’s behavior & insist on remaining somewhere when the kid is being disruptive. It mattered to me when my older kids were little; I’d be out of there.

Even my youngest with a disability, that doesn’t mean he gets to ruin everybody else’s time. He’s funny, though: Even if we are somewhere that he doesn’t want to be, if I say “Okay, that’s it, we can just leave!” He’ll protest “No, no!” As if it were somewhere he wanted to be all along.

In absence of a designated cry room, I will look for handicapped seating (such as in theatres) because they provide a “quick exit” in the event he gets disruptive & in restaurants I will wait for a booth to open so I can put him towards the inside. I also avoid the interior of an establishment & prefer to be close to restrooms & exits.

Old 05-14-2018, 06:03 AM

3,248 posts, read 2,457,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
Wow, you all are judgemental. Anyone stop to think that maybe this mom had an older child or stepchild graduating, or husband, even sibling, wasn't able to get a sitter but did not want to miss such an important occasion? I get some people don't think the ceremonies are a big deal, but for others they are, who knows what kind of an achievement it was for them. Imagine a young adult looking to see their mom there and not seeing her, they wouldn't even know she left because of the baby, they would just be disappointed. My husband got his PhD when our son was 18 months, and we went and sat through the ceremony until he walked on the stage, keeping DS as quiet as I could, I packed snacks and books and let him play with my phone, luckily he made it through but even if he screamed, I think I would try to maybe leave but come back to make sure I don't miss it. People don't usually enjoy sitting in a crowd with a screaming toddler. If she did it she probably had a good reason.
Whether or not she had a good reason, the child should have been taken out of the space as soon as he or she started disturbing others who were also undoubtedly there for important reasons. No one I know sits through graduations for fun as they tend to be tedious. One mother's inability to find a sitter does not trump everyone else's observance of the graduation. This is not "judgement" just common sense. As a parent, at the first sign of any meltdown my children are taken to a private space. Its just what you do. And yes, sometimes you miss out on things you wanted to see or might have enjoyed. When your child is preventing more people than you from enjoying the event with his/her crying and your primary duty is to attend to that.

Old 05-14-2018, 10:17 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,888,603 times
Quote:
I went to my son's graduation with my kids and I took them out because they weren't sitting quietly. I waited until my son was about to be called, went back in, watched it, clapped and then took them out again.

We also went to a funeral and I took my child out several times and camped next to the door so I could step out as needed.

You can take your kids to special events but you might not be able to sit through the whole thing of they get fussy.

Old 05-14-2018, 10:51 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
I think this is what event ushers should be for... they can hire some people or have volunteers to tell people to leave.

Problem is, they probably wouldn't leave. Sorry the graduation sucked because of that inconsiderate person.
No-brainer. Sorry you (and everyone else present) had to suffer through that, OP. Someone should have complained to the ushers. A bunch of someones.

Old 05-14-2018, 10:53 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Yes, as a matter of fact, I thought that, when reading the OP, but I also thought that taking the child outside wouldn't deprive her or her graduating child (or other relative) of her presence at the occasion. Nobody said she should have gone home. They're only saying she should have taken the incessant screamer outside.

Old 05-14-2018, 02:06 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Yes, as a matter of fact, I thought that, when reading the OP, but I also thought that taking the child outside wouldn't deprive her or her graduating child (or other relative) of her presence at the occasion. Nobody said she should have gone home. They're only saying she should have taken the incessant screamer outside.
People have said she should have left the ceremony. Just what is the difference whether she went home, or out to the parking lot? There's nothing in any post about a jumbotron of the event outside which some graduations provide.

And we have only the OP's side of this situation. I personally have a hard time with the idea that this child screamed non-stop for two hours. I do think when one goes to such an event, one should be prepared for some disruptions. Had it been me, I probably would have taken my kid to an area where people weren't sitting (concession stands, whatever, depending on the layout of the venue) until my person was close to being called. It's possible had she left, she would not have been allowed to re-enter. Some places have policies like that.

Old 05-14-2018, 02:11 PM

10,502 posts, read 7,043,034 times
Gotta say it. The graduation ceremony is right up there with waterboarding as a form of human torture. I have a nice, long attention span, but it is the most excruciating rite every devised by man. So small wonder that kid screamed. Every adult in the arena probably felt like it, too.

All that being said, the parent should have gotten a sitter or something. Or, failing that, gone outside when the kid became disruptive.

Old 05-14-2018, 02:13 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,308,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post

Ive got my flame suit on. I'm went to college graduation today. Yes I get it, motherhood is tough but seriously a mom is sitting there with a kid that screamed for 2 hours and refused to take him out. Screamed through the graduate names being presented, through guest speakers, every thing.

No words because I'm looking for the biggest bottle of tylenol I can find for my massive headache.
Yeah that is annoying and it isn't the kid's fault.

It's the mother's fault for being incompetent.

Just because some of you parents think your kids are special and everyone should like them doesn't mean we have to suffer through their tantrums. It's rude to let them yell like that.

Last edited by 49ersfan27; 05-14-2018 at 02:22 PM..

Old 05-14-2018, 02:30 PM

125 posts, read 184,421 times
Maybe you all should stop judging someone that you don't know.

Maybe that woman wanted to see the first person in her family graduate.

Maybe that child had some medical condition.

We don't know so it's not our place to judge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting