Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 09:54 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
Actually, it is. Its very dangerous for the child and for any dog if the child cant move beyond it.

First the sweetest dog in the world will run and chase after a child that is screaming and running. Its called play for the dog. If a child is hysterical and behaving irrationally this can easily escalate into something terrible.

Second, frightened children like to stare at dogs for some reason. What is that doing? Its the child challenging the dog. Dogs are no different than people when it comes to getting stared at. At some point they will get annoyed, and challenge back. Again, a situation escalating because of an attempt to show fear actually showing the dog just the opposite.

Third, I have seen people run out into heavy traffic to avoid sharing a walkway with a calm dog. Reality is the traffic is more likely to harm the person.

This can all be avoided if the child is acclimated to animals early. If you want to talk about a disgusting sense of entitlement, think about the parent that wants to coddle and foster hysteria in their child.

I was attacked by a full grown Doberman when I was 3, but all other dogs (including pitbulls) I have mastered as Ive grown. He had me pinned to the ground and I seriously though he was going to eat my cheek. I still don't trust Dobermans to this day, but I don't have a complete meltdown when I see one either.

My parents taught me how to deal.
it’s not easy for a child to just get over fear of dogs. It took my son years of therapy. Every child is different. Because you got over it quickly doesn’t mean every child will.

Old 05-29-2018, 10:19 PM

16,076 posts, read 21,154,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
Would you please explain in plain English WHY a 6 year-old's needs come before an adult? Or, is this simply regurgitated rhetoric? I personally get so sick of society's attitude that the whole world has to revolve around the needs of children to the exclusion of the needs of adults. Children are only a few years shy of becoming adults themselves after which society, generally speaking, will not give a damn about them either.

While I'm usually rather reluctant to involve myself in threads such as this, I can understand why the OP wants to bring their dog along to outings since dogs ARE, to MANY, additional members of the family. And, that's not necessarily a bad thing. If some child has a fear of dogs then that's just too bad ...they have to learn quickly that other people and their pets are a part of this world also.
First of all a six year old is a long way from being an adult, it's not just a 'few' years. Second perhaps the word 'needs' isn't the right word, although I can't think of another at the moment. You put a child's needs before an adults because children are still learning how to handle their needs. At your age you should (mostly) be able to be patient, calm, understanding, reasonable, capable of seeing things from another persons pov, delay your gratification, etc.
I don't believe in catering to a child's every whim, but if the child is truly afraid of dogs then the dog owner needs to understand that their desire to be with their dog does not trump the child's need to feel safe. The grown up is (or should be) more capable of being rational than a six year old is.

Old 05-29-2018, 11:58 PM

6,796 posts, read 2,910,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
it’s not easy for a child to just get over fear of dogs. It took my son years of therapy. Every child is different. Because you got over it quickly doesn’t mean every child will.
That was most unfortunate for you and your child. However, I trust that while your child was in therapy* the rest of society was allowed to continue living their lives?

While this might sound overly simplistic and maybe even a tad callous ...one needs to confront their fears and not expect the rest of society to kowtow to one's personal phobias, whatever they might be. And, it's THIS that appears to be the case with the OP's particular issue.

* YEARS of therapy? And you still stuck with the same therapist?

Old 05-30-2018, 03:35 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,841,954 times
The entitlement of dog owners is appalling to me.

If a child is scared,why should her parents appease YOU?

Geez,let the CHILD enjoy a cookout?

BTW....who brings dogs to a cookout?

I would not want dog fur around my food,but that is just me.

Old 05-30-2018, 03:47 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
Actually, it is. Its very dangerous for the child and for any dog if the child cant move beyond it.

First the sweetest dog in the world will run and chase after a child that is screaming and running. Its called play for the dog. If a child is hysterical and behaving irrationally this can easily escalate into something terrible.

Second, frightened children like to stare at dogs for some reason. What is that doing? Its the child challenging the dog. Dogs are no different than people when it comes to getting stared at. At some point they will get annoyed, and challenge back. Again, a situation escalating because of an attempt to show fear actually showing the dog just the opposite.

Third, I have seen people run out into heavy traffic to avoid sharing a walkway with a calm dog. Reality is the traffic is more likely to harm the person.

This can all be avoided if the child is acclimated to animals early. If you want to talk about a disgusting sense of entitlement, think about the parent that wants to coddle and foster hysteria in their child.

I was attacked by a full grown Doberman when I was 3, but all other dogs (including pitbulls) I have mastered as Ive grown. He had me pinned to the ground and I seriously though he was going to eat my cheek. I still don't trust Dobermans to this day, but I don't have a complete meltdown when I see one either.

My parents taught me how to deal.
On some levels of course parents hope to get their child to a calm place so that they can move beyond their fears. but at a barbque with multiple dogs.....especially who have hostile owners....isn't the ideal place.

Old 05-30-2018, 03:49 AM

6,562 posts, read 8,396,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
Would you please explain in plain English WHY a 6 year-old's needs come before an adult? Or, is this simply regurgitated rhetoric? I personally get so sick of society's attitude that the whole world has to revolve around the needs of children to the exclusion of the needs of adults. Children are only a few years shy of becoming adults themselves after which society, generally speaking, will not give a damn about them either.

While I'm usually rather reluctant to involve myself in threads such as this, I can understand why the OP wants to bring their dog along to outings since dogs ARE, to MANY, additional members of the family. And, that's not necessarily a bad thing. If some child has a fear of dogs then that's just too bad ...they have to learn quickly that other people and their pets are a part of this world also.
But OP doesn’t have a need to keep the dog outside. She’s just throwing a tantrum because she’s not getting her way.

So in this case a child’s need is put before an adult’s want. OP’s mother is being a gracious host in making a reasonable accommodation for her guests.

I do not have children but I do have a dog that’s loved dearly, and OP is just wrong in this instance. Seriously, who is acting like a child in this scenario?

Last edited by HokieFan; 05-30-2018 at 03:57 AM..

Old 05-30-2018, 03:57 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,545,986 times
Well I read to page 3 OP, and I agree with you.

I think a simple solution would be to either keep your dog on a leash beside you, or tie him to a tree or railing nearby to where you are socializing.

The kid can stay away from you or the area the dogs are tied in.

Your mother's door must have a few good scratches from the dog's claws going at it all day

Old 05-30-2018, 04:53 AM

3,563 posts, read 1,880,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
Oh, wow, really? I've noticed some dog people really do have issues with appropriate boundaries, or keeping their dog out of peoples' faces, and keeping them from jumping all over and aggressively pawing anyone and everyone (what they think of as a "friendly" greeting that can be physically painful with a dog's sharp paws). I'm not sure where their reasoning is going that tells them that this would be acceptable?
A dog owner who allows this is as bad and as selfcentered as the parents in this case. They give the responsible dog owners a bad name and they make me mad because just as these parents, they are letting their dog think the world shall shift to accomodate them.

Adults responsible for either dog or child need to NEVER inconvenience others at any gathering at which they are guests. In this case the parents expect others to be inconvenienced to suit their child. I would rather not attend an event than do that as inconveniencing others makes me very very uncomfortable.

It's selfcentered and at the least, poor form to expect others at a gathering to shift to accomodate either your dog or your child; if dog or child cannot attend gathering without "special accomodations" leave them home.

Old 05-30-2018, 05:01 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
I have dogs, I am not afraid of dogs, my dogs are my family, etc. But this is silly. The cookout is for people to get together. Not dogs.

Old 05-30-2018, 05:02 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,700,185 times
OP:

You've had a lot of constructive answers. Most of them involve talking this over with your mom. I'm guessing you aren't looking for advice you are simply looking to vent. Or maybe you simply want people to say "Yeah, you are completely right!"

I bet if you talk to your mom about this - you are going to realize how silly you sound.

And for the sake of your non-existent children - please don't have any. We don't need more poorly parented kids on this planet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting