Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2018, 05:12 PM

7,456 posts, read 4,688,527 times

Advertisements

Is 12 years old still young for me to encourage what he wants to be?

He wants to be a pilot from a young age and has read, researched mostly about planes and stuff. He has flew simulations of many planes and choppers; created his own designs of aircrafts and he amazes me with his knowledge of the subject.

I exposed my kids as much to various topics so they are more informed as can be of various fields.

But now that he is turning to 13 in a few months, I wonder if now it is okay to go and support him on his choice -- or should I still keep him off-balanced?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2018, 05:19 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 9 days ago)

35,634 posts, read 17,975,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yippeekayay View Post

He wants to be a pilot from a young age and has read, researched mostly about planes and stuff. He has flew simulations of many planes and choppers; created his own designs of aircrafts and he amazes me with his knowledge of the subject.

I exposed my kids as much to various topics so they are more informed as can be of various fields.

But now that he is turning to 13 in a few months, I wonder if now it is okay to go and support him on his choice -- or should I still keep him off-balanced?
I don't understand - why would you want to keep him "off-balanced"?

It's a true gift in life if you have a strong career passion from an early age. And a lot of kids have that -

Old 05-31-2018, 05:19 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Quote:

Why on earth would you NOT encourage him and what is meant by "keep him off balanced" and why is that a thing?

Old 05-31-2018, 06:24 PM

7,456 posts, read 4,688,527 times
Thanks. Off-balanced in the sense that he is to be continuously exposed to other fields. These other fields will take away/compete for time that he would otherwise put in to what he wants right now.

Old 05-31-2018, 06:27 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,728,534 times
I think the OP might mean well-rounded rather than off-balanced? Anyway, there's plenty of time to both support his interests and encourage him to try other things, too. In school, he will take all different classes and will continue learning new things that might spark a different interest. Or he might decide to continue on his current path and become a pilot. Either way, support what he's interested in!

Old 05-31-2018, 06:38 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
I think the OP might mean well-rounded rather than off-balanced? Anyway, there's plenty of time to both support his interests and encourage him to try other things, too. In school, he will take all different classes and will continue learning new things that might spark a different interest. Or he might decide to continue on his current path and become a pilot. Either way, support what he's interested in!
I agree.

Old 05-31-2018, 06:47 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
You can encourage an interest and still keep him well rounded.

Old 05-31-2018, 11:18 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:

Support him completely.

I supported my daughter's desire to become an M.D., even though I couldn't see it.

She entered the university with no major declared, but she chose to study Latin, thinking that would be beneficial for an M.D. By the end of the first semester, she realized that she loved language more than biology.

She will be a doctor in three more years--a PhD in Mandarin as a second language.

Just encourage them to reach. Life will take care of the rest.

Old 06-01-2018, 05:57 AM

48 posts, read 35,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
there's plenty of time to both support his interests and encourage him to try other things, too. In school, he will take all different classes and will continue learning new things that might spark a different interest. Or he might decide to continue on his current path and become a pilot. Either way, support what he's interested in!
This. We should all be so lucky as to have a career goal in mind at a young age. Lord knows most of my friends had no idea what they wanted to major in when they started college. Some of us wanted to be astronauts or racecar drivers when we were younger but ended up finding something we liked better along the way, or when we found out what the job really entails. That said, maybe there's a way to parlay that desire to be a pilot into some positive habits... "Pilots have to do their math homework. Pilots can't do drugs. Pilots can't drink before they're 21."

Old 06-01-2018, 06:50 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,181,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
You can encourage an interest and still keep him well rounded.
Are his options attend flight school on his 13th birthday or give up his dream forever?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting