Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 11:17 AM

820 posts, read 972,420 times

Advertisements

I am now 21 years old and in college, and sometimes my mother calls me by my first name or a mature nickname, but most other times she calls me "boyzee" (sounds exactly how it's spelled). I appreciate the sentiment, but I really don't like being called that as it makes me feel like a little kid. Even my dad laughs when she calls me that. It's one thing to call me "honey" or "sweetie," because those are more mature pet names, but "boyzee" really doesn't sound good for someone my age. I haven't asked her to stop saying "boyzee" because I know she likes it and I'm afraid she will be devastated if she can't call me that anymore. Parents, do you think you would be upset if you called your adult child a nickname like this and they asked you not to? I certainly don't want to hurt her feelings but I want to feel like an adult, and she does treat me like an adult besides that name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2018, 11:39 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,723,943 times
Does she call you this in front of other people or only in private? Certainly it's okay to ask her not to call you that in front of others.

If one of my kids asked me not to refer to them by one of the nicknames I'd oblige. I wouldn't be bad or upset. I might mess up occasionally.

Old 06-12-2018, 12:00 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,426,646 times
My dad used to have a name like that he used to call me. I went through a phase during my teenage years where I hated it. As I matured, I realized that it wasn't something to be embarrassed by, but rather was something to treasure. It made me special. He may have called other people "honey" or "sweetie" but this was all mine. It sort of signified our relationship as being at a different level than any other. It meant we had a closeness that was unique to us.

Depending on what your relationship is like with your mom, I think you may feel differently about it as you get older.

And I'm going to sound like a real old fuddy-duddy now (I'm 46), but I lost my dad suddenly 6 years ago. And I look back on that nickname, and how I got it fondly. I'd give anything to hear him call me that again.

Old 06-12-2018, 12:00 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Sure ask her. Or explain to your friends about her affection for the city of Boise.

As far as nicknames go, that isn't a bad one. My kid was Be-bah. I can see how that would be irritating as a kid got older.

Old 06-12-2018, 12:08 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,070,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxblue100 View Post
I am now 21 years old and in college, and sometimes my mother calls me by my first name or a mature nickname, but most other times she calls me "boyzee" (sounds exactly how it's spelled). I appreciate the sentiment, but I really don't like being called that as it makes me feel like a little kid. Even my dad laughs when she calls me that. It's one thing to call me "honey" or "sweetie," because those are more mature pet names, but "boyzee" really doesn't sound good for someone my age. I haven't asked her to stop saying "boyzee" because I know she likes it and I'm afraid she will be devastated if she can't call me that anymore. Parents, do you think you would be upset if you called your adult child a nickname like this and they asked you not to? I certainly don't want to hurt her feelings but I want to feel like an adult, and she does treat me like an adult besides that name.
I suspect that this more about you trying to leave your childhood behind, separate more from your parents (especially your mom) and become a full fledged adult.

At 21 you are literally just starting out in your adult life, and often there is a certain pressure to start being "grown up".

If you really want to act like an adult, then recognize that it's not easy for your mother to see her little boy grow up, and realize that "boyzee" is a term of affection for the little boy she still holds close to her heart. It doesn't mean that she doesn't see that you are growing up and maturing. It just means that you will always be her son. And that is OK.

Old 06-12-2018, 12:23 PM

50,371 posts, read 63,964,084 times
I call my son Matthew, MattU, and so does his Dad. It’s just a habit from when he was little. I would stop it, if he asked me to.

I bet your mother would do as you asked, if she knew it bothered you.

Old 06-12-2018, 03:03 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,884,716 times
Besides an occasional private moment, she should stick with more grown up names. I dropped the baby nick names when my kids were tweens...except for in absolute private when we were having a moment.

Old 06-12-2018, 03:18 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
You can ask her, but there's no guarantee she will stop. Much of it is habit.

I would try very hard to let this go, if you can.

Old 06-12-2018, 03:53 PM

820 posts, read 972,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
Does she call you this in front of other people or only in private? Certainly it's okay to ask her not to call you that in front of others.

If one of my kids asked me not to refer to them by one of the nicknames I'd oblige. I wouldn't be bad or upset. I might mess up occasionally.
She calls me that in front of my dad (they are divorced) and sometimes my grandparents. Otherwise, just in private.

Old 06-12-2018, 04:07 PM

3,829 posts, read 6,731,744 times
My poor cousin is in her 40s and still called Boob by almost everyone- publicly and on social media. I would hate it.

I didn't even get the cutsie-young nickname my family calls me until I was in college. My mom started calling me by it to annoy me, which it didn't, and it stuck. Now all of my family calls me by that name nearly 100% of the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting