Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 04:07 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,640,250 times

Advertisements

In private, I wouldn't mind. Just ask her not to call you that in front of your friends. I'm sure she would agree.

Last edited by Praline; 06-12-2018 at 04:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2018, 04:09 PM

6,301 posts, read 4,197,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxblue100 View Post
She calls me that in front of my dad (they are divorced) and sometimes my grandparents. Otherwise, just in private.

I’d say let it go . You could be 21 or 56 and you will still be her baby. My mother was still reminding me when I was 56 that I should wear a scarf when I go out and I’d give anything to hear her nag me about that now or call me by my pet name. If you are secure and mature you don’t let a private family nickname bother you, unless it was rude or insulting.

Old 06-12-2018, 04:52 PM

75 posts, read 55,279 times
Quote:
I am now 21 years old and in college, and sometimes my mother calls me by my first name or a mature nickname, but most other times she calls me "boyzee" (sounds exactly how it's spelled). I appreciate the sentiment, but I really don't like being called that as it makes me feel like a little kid. Even my dad laughs when she calls me that. It's one thing to call me "honey" or "sweetie," because those are more mature pet names, but "boyzee" really doesn't sound good for someone my age. I haven't asked her to stop saying "boyzee" because I know she likes it and I'm afraid she will be devastated if she can't call me that anymore. Parents, do you think you would be upset if you called your adult child a nickname like this and they asked you not to? I certainly don't want to hurt her feelings but I want to feel like an adult, and she does treat me like an adult besides that name.
Sure my son is 27. We never called him pet names but my mother did. There is nothing wrong with wanting to be an adult and addressed as one. If she finds issue, it is her issue she needs to grapple with, not yours.
But give her time to adjust. Inadvertanly she may call you the pet name for a while until your new name lol becomes habit

Old 06-12-2018, 05:06 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,578,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinimalistMary View Post
Sure my son is 27. We never called him pet names but my mother did. There is nothing wrong with wanting to be an adult and addressed as one. If she finds issue, it is her issue she needs to grapple with, not yours.
But give her time to adjust. Inadvertanly she may call you the pet name for a while until your new name lol becomes habit

^^^^ This. Just do it with love and she will probably understand, especially since she already only does it around family.

Old 06-12-2018, 05:27 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,455,196 times
My aunt who for years us kids called her by a nickname given to her when she was a wee little one. She is quite the refined and darling lady. At around age 35 her husband told our family..call her by her birth name. She isn't 2 anymore!!! Mind you we loved our Uncle equally and his bout sent ripples thru the family. Not a one of us ever thought it was insulting or hurtful. So we all for months called her by her birth name. Finally one evening she said....loved ones...call me by the knick name , I miss the endearing tone you spoke it with. She is going on 70 now....beautiful as ever inside and out...and we all still call her by her knick name. The funny thing is...I have a family knick name and only my older bros and older relatives can call me it. My cousins, and niece,nephew cannot. They know it's reserved for the elders. I guess it's because ..the elders say it in a loving way ..yet the younger ones tend to mock it. Not the same.
Anyways OP, I can understand the uncomfortableNess if out in public or accepting an award to have a family knickname..you want that independent recognition. Ask if those using it can keep it at informal and close gatherings.

Old 06-12-2018, 05:40 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
Quote:
I am now 21 years old and in college, and sometimes my mother calls me by my first name or a mature nickname, but most other times she calls me "boyzee" (sounds exactly how it's spelled). I appreciate the sentiment, but I really don't like being called that as it makes me feel like a little kid. Even my dad laughs when she calls me that. It's one thing to call me "honey" or "sweetie," because those are more mature pet names, but "boyzee" really doesn't sound good for someone my age. I haven't asked her to stop saying "boyzee" because I know she likes it and I'm afraid she will be devastated if she can't call me that anymore. Parents, do you think you would be upset if you called your adult child a nickname like this and they asked you not to? I certainly don't want to hurt her feelings but I want to feel like an adult, and she does treat me like an adult besides that name.

You can mention it to her nicely if it bothers you....it does sound boy-ish

Old 06-12-2018, 05:50 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
I understand OP. I have endearments for my own sons, but I dropped the nicknames based on their given names a long time ago. It took my husband 40+ years to get people to stop adding an "ie" to his name.

Old 06-13-2018, 01:21 AM

23,688 posts, read 9,383,197 times
i beleieve it should be her house her rules....so i think u should be fiene wit ever she decides but u could ask her to respectfully quit but she still is in chrage.

Old 06-13-2018, 01:33 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,578,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
i beleieve it should be her house her rules....so i think u should be fiene wit ever she decides but u could ask her to respectfully quit but she still is in chrage.

OP didn't say he lived with her. But even if he did, why would this have anything to do with "rules"?

Old 06-13-2018, 05:59 AM

6,460 posts, read 7,796,492 times
Quote:
She calls me that in front of my dad (they are divorced) and sometimes my grandparents. Otherwise, just in private.
We have cute nicknames for our kid too - mostly my wife calls him the one's that he gets embarrassed by and doesn't like (in public). The deal was that she can call him that in private.

But yeah, she did not like having to stop that and was a bit hurt. Your mother may be hurt but I'd guess she'd also completely understand. You're growing up, she'll realize that when you talk to her. And she'll hate it. And that'll be that. So be sensitive but you have to let her know. She doesn't want to make you feel bad about it and she doesn't want you to dislike it. But it is what it is.

Best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting