Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 11:35 AM

50 posts, read 91,745 times

Advertisements

Could you tell me how much space your preteen or teenager needs for his/her personal belongings? I am trying to decide if my boys need to pare down what they own, or if I should squeeze more furniture somewhere in the house to accommodate their toys, books, collections, etc.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2018, 12:42 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,886,067 times
My kids each have a bedroom full of stuff, a few boxes of belongings in the garage, and then coats and shoes in the hallway closet.

Old 06-29-2018, 02:49 PM

50 posts, read 91,745 times
Mine are sharing a bedroom, so it is feeling crowded to them. They each have a dresser, half the closet, a bookshelf, plus one more piece of furniture for their other belongings. This doesn't seem to be enough.

Things for their extracurriculars and school books are stored elsewhere.

Old 06-29-2018, 02:53 PM

14,327 posts, read 11,719,111 times
We have three teenagers and two adults in a 1300-sq ft house. Each teen has his/her own small bedroom. It is a little tight but +/- 120 sq ft seems to be enough for each of them and (most of) their stuff. We have bins in the garage with outgrown books and toys but that is actually by my desire and not theirs; they are pretty good about getting rid of things.

Old 06-29-2018, 02:56 PM

14,327 posts, read 11,719,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAEA View Post
Mine are sharing a bedroom, so it is feeling crowded to them. They each have a dresser, half the closet, a bookshelf, plus one more piece of furniture for their other belongings. This doesn't seem to be enough.

My daughters more-or-less happily shared one of our 120-sq ft rooms until they were 11 and 14, then all hell broke loose. It was clear they each needed their own space at that point. Well, I should say they "needed" their own space. We were able to make it work by adding an additional small bedroom to the house, but if we hadn't been able to do that, they would have had to survive together somehow. It just wouldn't have been pretty.

Old 06-29-2018, 04:41 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,886,067 times
Quote:

Maybe they could have loft beds so there would be more floor space in the room.

Old 06-29-2018, 04:43 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,742,527 times
Quote:
Could you tell me how much space your preteen or teenager needs for his/her personal belongings? I am trying to decide if my boys need to pare down what they own, or if I should squeeze more furniture somewhere in the house to accommodate their toys, books, collections, etc.

Thanks!
People vary from one to the other. Some people need more stuff, some people need less. There is no one answer.

What is clear, is most families have a limit to what can safely be stored. Determine how much room you can give your teen, and let them decide what to keep or not.

Old 06-29-2018, 09:18 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,168,330 times
Do you think that your children have collected too many toys, books, collections? Do they collect small things, like match box cars, or larger things like full size Tonka trucks? Do they have 20 books or 200 books?

I know someone who allows their children to keep only as many toys as fit in their toy box. If they get something new, and want to keep it, something old has to go. They also can have two shelves of books. If it does not fit, a book has to go. Needless to say, Grandma & Grandpa certainly can't go wild on presents for them.

Now, the parents are the same way. They have a specific amount of cookbooks (maybe eight) if they want a new cook book and old one needs to go. If they buy a new shirt an old one needs to go.

Their house is very sparse and empty, but that is what they want.

Old 06-29-2018, 09:42 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,742,113 times
I have two preteen girls. Each have their own room with a bed, dresser and desk. My 10 yr old has a loft bed so her desk can fit underneath which frees up space. We have a finished basement that has all of their other stuff such as my 10yr olds toys and dolls, a gymnastics mat, craft area, bookshelves and tween hangout area with TV and game consoles. Outdoor stuff like bikes, rollerblades, etc is in the garage.

I never had my own room growing up, so I feel my girls are lucky to have their own space. However I do go through there stuff once a year and donate items that they no longer use such as old toys, clothes,, etc. It helps fee up space!

Old 06-29-2018, 10:19 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,185,020 times
They each have their own room and we have a finished basement. They have more than enough room.

If you have space for a shelf, get them a shelf. I'm not sure how to really answer your question. By the the tween and teen ages, mine were done with most of their toys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting