Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2018, 06:04 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,942,367 times

Advertisements

Eh. My sons are all adults now, and I've loosened the swearing reins. When they were younger I told them I didn't much care what they said while hanging out with their buddies, but it was inappropriate to swear around adults or younger children.
They upheld that rule, so what they choose to say now doesn't bother me. I swear rather frequently at work anyway, dealing with the homeless and poor can be stressful. I don't swear AT them of course, but my boss has certainly heard me let some blue language out in the office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2018, 07:47 PM

329 posts, read 511,805 times
I let my 10 year old Chihuahua do it at age 5.

Old 07-07-2018, 09:17 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,228,022 times
I live in NY; swearing is just how people talk here. Typically at an elevated volume. I hardly ever swear, but my husband does. Our teenager has taken to swearing now and then; testing limits, thinking he’s grown. I don’t like it, but it’s not the hill I’m willing to die on. I tell him that how he talks when he is with his raggamuffin friends is not how he should speak in other venues. My not making a big deal about it seems to have taken the thrill out of it.

Old 07-08-2018, 08:50 AM

1,299 posts, read 822,615 times
When my daughter was in high school I told her to choose her audience very carefully if she was going to use certain language, and that she would be judge by that language. That's just good social skills. Now she's in her 20s, and occasionally throws out an expletive. I have no issues with that, I can drop a good one sometimes, too.

No one in our house name calls or swears at anyone, and I have never heard her do that. I think that is much different than saying a bad word when you hurt yourself.

Old 07-08-2018, 09:47 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,048,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
At what age do you allow your kids to swear in front of you, if you swear?
No age. It’s not like I forbid it. But they know I’m uncomfortable with coarse language. It happens. Not often. They get “the lookâ€. Me peering over my nose readers as to say: did you really use that word in my presence ? For the record, I’ll drop an occasional “dayumâ€!

Old 07-08-2018, 10:06 AM

18,525 posts, read 18,735,742 times
Scots swear a lot... not every Scot but most do.. try watching Calibre.. a fantastic new movie on Netfilx and you ll see what I mean as the film progresses.. my grandkids however Ive never heard swearing in front of me.. they range from 23 down to 6.. eight of them and not once have I heard one swear..

Old 07-08-2018, 10:16 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,136,831 times
I'll share a funny swearing story. I am a retired early childhood special needs teacher. One day, after school, the mother of one of my four year students came in breathing fire. She was extremely angry because she over heard her four year old son say "damn" and she said that he had to have learned it at school from one of his classmates. No matter how much I explained that I had never heard any of his classmates say that word, or any other swear word, in front of her son the mom insisted that school was the only place where he could have heard "bad language".

The funny (sad) part was that the four year old had two half brothers who lived with them. They were 15 and 16 and routinely swear like sailors (I had heard them swear on numerous occasions in front of their step-mother and half-brother).

In fact, while the mother was yelling at me I could hear her two teenagers in the hallway using very inappropriate language for a school hallway including the F word. Mom was getting more and more angry at me so I gently suggested that sometimes children hear bad words someplace else like in the neighborhood or from older siblings. I thought that Mom was going to have a stroke. She insisted that no one in her neighborhood ever swore and her teenage step-sons never used bad language (which, of course, they were using that very minute just on the other side of the door). I finally just had to apologize to the mother and admit that maybe her son did hear "damn" at school and I would be extra, extra careful about it in the future.

Old 07-08-2018, 10:17 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times
Our 16 will swear where appropriate, I can't even say what the rule is, but he seems to understand it.

I know they all swear a lot when playing video games, and sometimes I will walk in on it, wait a bit and be like "good evening Matt" and then they all freak out and apologize.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 07-08-2018, 11:37 AM

8,876 posts, read 13,909,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
We didn't set a particular age and say "Now, you may swear in front of us". Mild profanities became acceptable during the college years, IIRC.
That's how it is in our family.

I would not swear in front of my parents when they were alive, but DW and I take no exception to our kids using some swear words as a perceived sentence enhancer (thanks SpongeBob) or as an exclamation.

Fortunately for us, they do not drop the F bomb or use "smutty vulgarity" when they do swear so it's not a big issue.

Old 07-08-2018, 03:09 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,722,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
At what age do you allow your kids to swear in front of you, if you swear?
Mine started to curse in front of me mid to late teens. Our only house rules with regard to cursing were to not curse AT anyone, and to not curse in front of their great grandmother.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting