Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2018, 03:34 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,902,095 times

Advertisements

I am all for vaccination since studies have overwhelmingly shown it to be safe and vaccines are effective in preventing illnesses that can cause lingering health issues.

Vaccines do not cause autism; there have been many studies which have been validated that have shown this. The amount of methylmercury in vaccines today is MUCH lower than it was in years past. If the theory of vaccines causing autism was true then autism should have a very high incidence rate in the later Boomers and Gen X but it does not. The "experts" who talk about vaccines and autism often have very questionable research and/or credentials.

People who have had chicken pox are at risk for shingles as they get older. My dad had shingles and it was 5 months of pure agony--and he's a guy who has a very high pain tolerance and usually does not complain. The chicken pox vaccine can prevent that kind of misery now.

I've also known people who had polio as a child and some were pretty badly affected. Why would we want to risk a resurgence of illnesses that are preventable by simple vaccination?

I've had cervical cancer caused by HPV virus. The Gardasil vaccine covers the most common types of HPV that can cause cervical cancer so I don't understand why anyone would not do this for their daughter.

Old 08-03-2018, 03:38 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,843,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
My children were very young in 1995 and were literally among the first offered the vaccine given their ages. Our very well respected pediatrician gave me the option of having them immunized at that time. The 10-15 year idea came directly from him. That was the information being circulated to doctors at the time. He and I had a long discussion about it: pros/cons. He also happened to have children exactly the same age as mine.

Having known myself in college, I knew that once they reached their teens/college age they might not go for a booster or a new vaccine. I didn't want to risk them getting chickenpox as adults. No one at that time really mentioned anything about shingles. I might have made a different decision if that was the case then.

BTW--To put his skills and knowledge into perspective: he was one of the first doctor's warning about the overuse of antibiotics. Many times I took my daughter in for a visit because she was experiencing symptoms of an ear infection. There were quite a few times he wouldn't prescribe her antibiotics that day, and I would have to return a few days later. There were no antibiotics prescribed for symptoms that many of the other doctors at the time would prescribe for--at least according to the numerous mothers I knew at the time.
OK, I know it's hard to say stuff like I did and not make someone angry, and diplomacy is sadly not my strong suit. However, no matter how respected your pediatrician was/is, he was wrong about the chickenpox vaccine re: waning immunity.

It is true that in 1995 we really didn't know how long people would remain immune from the cpx vaccine, however, we did know that in Japan, the original immunizees of 8 years prior were still fully immune. Immunity does not just go along at full speed and then drop off like a stone, if it wanes, it does so, gradually. So there was certainly reason to think that immunity was long-term.

I was working in immunization admin/clinical practice at a large urban health department in the Denver metro area at the time. Our information came from the CDC and the Colorado Department of Health. There was no expectation that immunity would only last 10-15 years. You are correct that it's hard to get college students to comply with any type of vaccines. I remember an argument with my daughter about flu shots when she was an undergraduate.

Many people, including health care providers, including physicians, were opposed to the chickenpox vaccine when it first came out. A big argument was that cpx is a mild disease. Those of us who were "pro" said, "It's still an illness. If you can prevent it, prevent it". It's true some kids are not very sick with it, but they still have to be isolated, miss some school, and the parents if both working have to miss some work. Others said "It's a rite of passage". This one really flummoxed me; I couldn't think of what having chickenpox entitled one to do, as in a rite of passage, except be around someone who had had chickenpox. Sadly, a death d/t chickenpox at Denver Children's Hospital shortly after the vaccine came out got the local doctors on board.

As for antibioitic resistance, it has been known about as long as antibiotics. By 1955 there were strains of bacteria resistant to penicillin. I too knew kids who were on antibiotics a lot back when my kids were little. That doesn't mean their doctors weren't aware of antibiotic resistance.
https://www.medicaldaily.com/antibio...history-373773

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
Chicken pox, flu shot, HPV
Chickenpox-see above. Plus, we know now that immunized people are far less likely to get shingles than people who have "natural" chickenpox.

Flu-the vaccine-preventable disease one is most likely to contract, be hospitalized for, and die from. This is pretty true across all age groups.

HPV-Over a lifetime, at least 80% of women and 90% of men will have an HPV infection. About 12,000 women are diagnosed with cervical cancer every year, and about 4000 die from it. Altogether there are about 41,000 cases of HPV-related cancer diagnosed each year in the US. (CDC)

Old 08-03-2018, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
But the patent for pills expires and then generic versions can be introduced. The patents on vaccines are protected by different intellectual property laws and don't really expire. So there will be a generic version of Invokana eventually, meaning the manufacturer will lose a substantial market share, as most insurance companies will require generic. But the pharmaceutical companies reap all the profits on vaccines they develop pretty much forever. So actually vaccines are more profitable for them in the long run.

Ironically, the number of vaccines required suddenly increased pretty dramatically when the intellectual property law regarding this was changed, making the vaccines more profitable. I hardly think it's a coincidence.
There are a couple of generic vaccines, Td and DT. Anyway, it's foolish to "cut off your nose to spite your face" because the others are not generic and make money for the pharma companies.

Old 08-03-2018, 03:43 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,440,811 times
I'm age 29 and still have not gotten chickenpox.

Old 08-03-2018, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
I'm age 29 and still have not gotten chickenpox.
You should get the vaccine. You'll need two doses at your age. Adults can be quite sick with cpx. In fact, back in the days when 99+% of kids got it, of the 100 or so deaths each year, half were in adults. 50% of the deaths were in less than 1% of the cases in other words.

Old 08-03-2018, 03:49 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,438,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
There are a couple of generic vaccines, Td and DT. Anyway, it's foolish to "cut off your nose to spite your face" because the others are not generic and make money for the pharma companies.
If you've read my previous posts, you'll see that I'm not anti-vaccine at all. Quite the opposite. However, I also think that the pharmaceutical companies are out to make as much money as possible. So, yes, I do think they've changed and added vaccines solely to make more money. Does that mean they don't work? Not at all. But I do think there are diseases that we could probably be fully vaccinated from in two doses rather than 3 or 4.

Old 08-03-2018, 03:51 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,660,768 times
The majority of people have been indoctrinated by the current culture, which has been manipulated by pharmaceutical companies.

Today's vaccine schedule is much different than that of yester years.

Giving a newborn a HepB vaccine, for instance, is nonsensical and dangerous.

The pro-vaccine crowd (the "flock" - majority of people) will bully you, so educate yourself and don't even think of having an intellectual conversation with them (already one person has called people who question pumping children full of toxins "morons") . . .

Read up on the current literature.

Here's a great resource:

https://www.facebook.com/jbhandleyjr/

Old 08-03-2018, 03:54 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,660,768 times
The guilt producing ads for HPV and Meningitis B vaccines are over-the-top. Sick, sick, marketing and a dumb culture that just gobbles everything sold on TV up, without question.

Old 08-03-2018, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
If you've read my previous posts, you'll see that I'm not anti-vaccine at all. Quite the opposite. However, I also think that the pharmaceutical companies are out to make as much money as possible. So, yes, I do think they've changed and added vaccines solely to make more money. Does that mean they don't work? Not at all. But I do think there are diseases that we could probably be fully vaccinated from in two doses rather than 3 or 4.
I see. What are those vaccines and what is your scientific, peer-reviewed rationale?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
The majority of people have been indoctrinated by the current culture, which has been manipulated by pharmaceutical companies.

Today's vaccine schedule is much different than that of yester years.

Giving a newborn a HepB vaccine, for instance, is nonsensical and dangerous.

The pro-vaccine crowd (the "flock" - majority of people) will bully you, so educate yourself and don't even think of having an intellectual conversation with them (already one person has called people who question pumping children full of toxins "morons") . . .

Read up on the current literature.

Here's a great resource:

https://www.facebook.com/jbhandleyjr/
"We give more vaccines than we used to is the weakest excuse of all, IMO. Which of these diseases would you like your kid to get?

Hep B for newborns is neither nonsensical or dangerous. It's been going on since 1991; 27 years now. If there were a danger, it would have shown up by now. There is a birth cohort of about 4 million babies born every year, and probably 90+% of them get the vaccine. That is 280,000,000 doses of vaccine given to infants, through 2017. 95% of infants who get Hep B go on to become chronically infected, with the risk of cirrhosis of the liver and liver cancer. A big risk factor, after birth to an infected mother, is living with someone with Hep B. We test the mothers, but we don't test the fathers or anyone else in the home. Most people with chronic Hep B have no symptoms until complications develop.

JB Handley? Surely you jest. He has his own entry in the Encyclopedia of American Loons. Here's what they say: "J.B. Handley is the founder of Generation Rescue (GR), an organization advocating the view that autism (and related disorders) are primarily caused by environmental factors, and in particular by vaccines (shifting goalposts for the previous “autism is misdiagnosis of mercury poisoning”). For anyone in doubt, these claims are biologically implausible and lack scientific evidence. . . Today, Generation Rescue is known as a platform for Jenny McCarthy's autism advocacy, but Handley is still pulling most of the strings. . . He is generally known for supporting discredited researcher Andrew Wakefield and offering arguments of dubious coherence." Plus much more.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation_Rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
The guilt producing ads for HPV and Meningitis B vaccines are over-the-top. Sick, sick, marketing and a dumb culture that just gobbles everything sold on TV up, without question.
Then don't watch them.

Old 08-03-2018, 04:12 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,440,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
You should get the vaccine. You'll need two doses at your age. Adults can be quite sick with cpx. In fact, back in the days when 99+% of kids got it, of the 100 or so deaths each year, half were in adults. 50% of the deaths were in less than 1% of the cases in other words.
I will. And to think, when visiting my grandpa one weekend, he didn't tell me he had shingles until well into the conversation after I was already there. This was some years ago.

I hate when people assume that everyone had chickenpox as a child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting