Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2018, 02:09 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodburyWoody View Post
DFL governor and Republican-controlled state house and senate.

Governing is compromise.
How condescending. Yes, I knew that.

It seems like instead of giving money to half the schools, they could have given half the money to all the schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2018, 03:29 PM

50,376 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccernerd View Post
You’re right in that pre-school isn’t necessary to be successful, but I think that it’s a good way to ease kids into elementary school and to gain experience in socialization and educational fundamentals.
This is what kindergarten was for.

Old 08-23-2018, 03:37 PM

2,579 posts, read 2,071,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
How condescending. Yes, I knew that.

It seems like instead of giving money to half the schools, they could have given half the money to all the schools.
Sorry, was not directed at you ... commenting on bigger picture but did not communicate well.

Not sure how they arrived at that. Initially, it covered about 70 or so districts and then another 50 or so added.

Old 08-23-2018, 07:33 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocore View Post
I'm thinking you must have been looking at Preschools and not Child Care centers.

Preschools run on basically the same calendar as the public schools around them. They usually are open from end August/Beginning September through May, don't always offer a full 5 days and their hours are often not a full day.

Child Care centers are meant for those who need full day, year round care. You rarely will find a center that closes for anything more than the basic holidays.

yes, I was thinking the same, my son was in daycare from the time he was 12 weeks old and I never experienced the kind of schedule the OP was talking about. When he was 4, he had a pre-k program in his daycare center. They also offered a private kindergarten, but he switched over to the elementary school at that point, since it was after he turned 5.

Old 08-24-2018, 12:48 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,500,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by etjaipleure View Post
Yes that is right. See why I am confused? lol
Well yeah! I could have offered to pay college tuition amounts to DISD and still my child couldn't attend pre-k at her elementary. It wasn't an option, period. That this is happening in some districts really has me thinking, is it ethical? Truly legal? What if you're a family that falls between being able to afford this and and those less fortunate? I understand the less fortunate side, district is attempting to get those kids up to speed because they are at a disadvantage.

Old 08-24-2018, 01:06 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,500,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cordata View Post
Some districts offer tuition based PreK. In Dallas ISD for example, certain schools are offering tuition based PreK to get "rich" families into those schools. For example, Robert E Lee / Geneva Heights elementary now has tuition based PreK so that the "wealthy" families near the school can try it out the district hopes they will then stay for Kindergarten (which is obviously free for all).

It's not clear which district the OP lives in but the truly wealthy districts (Highland Park and Carroll) probably don't have PreK at all since there are effectively no disadvantaged people there.
I'm reading about it online now. Wow. My child's elementary is on the list of schools offering tuition based pre K.

Old 08-24-2018, 08:17 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Well yeah! I could have offered to pay college tuition amounts to DISD and still my child couldn't attend pre-k at her elementary. It wasn't an option, period. That this is happening in some districts really has me thinking, is it ethical? Truly legal? What if you're a family that falls between being able to afford this and and those less fortunate? I understand the less fortunate side, district is attempting to get those kids up to speed because they are at a disadvantage.
Though I don't know Texas law, I seriously doubt the SD would do something blatantly illegal that they could get hauled into court for an expensive, messy battle. I think the ethics of it are that it's OK to provide services for kids with special needs. Just my 2c.

Old 08-24-2018, 04:59 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,430,859 times
I live in Texas and teach preschool. Free, public preschool is only provided in the following circumstances in Texas: children with a parent who is active military, children with a diagnosed special need, children for whom English is not their first language, and children who are economically disadvantaged. Some (very few, actually) school districts open up their preschool programs who children outside of these considerations, but it is not free for them. Most families send their kids to private preschool.

Old 08-24-2018, 07:08 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
In Wisconsin, 98.3% of communities offer free Four Year Old Kindergarten in public schools.

Old 08-28-2018, 08:01 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,181,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
This is what kindergarten was for.
That's what kindergarten used to be for. Now it's preschool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
In Wisconsin, 98.3% of communities offer free Four Year Old Kindergarten in public schools.
I know our Milwaukee suburb public school offers K-4 and K-5 (4 year old kindergarden, i.e. preschool, and 5 year old kindergarten). We didn't get here until our youngest was in 1st grade so I'm not positive on the numbers but I assume it's free public school but we also pay school fees. I'm guessing k-4 and k-5 is under $100 for the year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting