Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2018, 08:43 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,599,148 times

Advertisements

I imagine if this ingrate were given a car he'd expect you to pay for all maintenance, repairs and gas. And insurance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2018, 11:15 AM

4,004 posts, read 2,086,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
If you give a gift such as concert tickets, to a couple, are you also expected to pay for their babysitter so they can attend the concert? This situation recently came up with some younger friends and I am curious about what other people think.

A college student that I know splurged to give her older brother and his wife (who both have full time jobs) two tickets to a concert that he wanted to attended. Normally she would give a small gift, or a home made gift, to her brother for his birthday but spent at least four times what she would normally spent on his gift to buy two concert tickets. And, while he was (mostly) appreciative of the gift, he informed her that "it was not polite to buy tickets for a night out unless you also include enough money to pay for a babysitter."

Frankly, I had never heard of an etiquette rule like that. So, was she in the wrong or was he just making that up or is this something new or what?

Thank you for any input.

Oops, maybe this should be in Non-romantic relationships instead, but I was wondering what people who needed to pay for baby sitters (parents) thought about this issue.
Hopefully he was kidding, but if not - she should tell him that's its sad to hear he wont be using her gift and he should give her the tickets back so that she and a friend can go instead. She can always redo something homemade just like last year for his birthday.

Old 10-14-2018, 11:36 AM

16,080 posts, read 21,181,230 times
I get the feeling some of you would tell a bald guy to be happy he got a comb for Christmas. Not that it excuses an ungracious reply, but the gifter should put some thought into a gift that matters.

Old 10-14-2018, 12:44 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,920,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I get the feeling some of you would tell a bald guy to be happy he got a comb for Christmas. Not that it excuses an ungracious reply, but the gifter should put some thought into a gift that matters.
...the gift giver got exactly the gift that the wife told her to get.

Old 10-16-2018, 12:30 PM

102,233 posts, read 108,060,523 times
Quote:
If you give a gift such as concert tickets, to a couple, are you also expected to pay for their babysitter so they can attend the concert? This situation recently came up with some younger friends and I am curious about what other people think.

A college student that I know splurged to give her older brother and his wife (who both have full time jobs) two tickets to a concert that he wanted to attended. Normally she would give a small gift, or a home made gift, to her brother for his birthday but spent at least four times what she would normally spent on his gift to buy two concert tickets. And, while he was (mostly) appreciative of the gift, he informed her that "it was not polite to buy tickets for a night out unless you also include enough money to pay for a babysitter."

Frankly, I had never heard of an etiquette rule like that. So, was she in the wrong or was he just making that up or is this something new or what?

Thank you for any input.

Oops, maybe this should be in Non-romantic relationships instead, but I was wondering what people who needed to pay for baby sitters (parents) thought about this issue.
Shocking. This says a lot about the brother's opinion of the younger sibling, IMO. No more nice gifts for him! Completely oblivious to a college student's budget, not to mention--completely unappreciative of a nice gift. The N-word comes to mind: narcissist.

Old 10-16-2018, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Put some thought into a gift that matters? Two concert tickets aren't a thoughtful gift? What, is the gift-giver also supposed to pay for the gas to drive to the concert and back, as well as a babysitter? WTH?!

Old 10-16-2018, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
Hopefully he was kidding, but if not - she should tell him that's its sad to hear he wont be using her gift and he should give her the tickets back so that she and a friend can go instead. She can always redo something homemade just like last year for his birthday.
She could give him a plate of home-backed cookies. Or some fruitcake. The end.

Old 10-16-2018, 09:32 PM

16,080 posts, read 21,181,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Put some thought into a gift that matters? Two concert tickets aren't a thoughtful gift? What, is the gift-giver also supposed to pay for the gas to drive to the concert and back, as well as a babysitter? WTH?!
If he can't use it, it isn't much of a gift, so comb for a bald guy?
Do you actually know many people who give the gift of a one time event without knowing if the giftee will have the opportunity to use it? I don't.

Old 10-16-2018, 11:59 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,377,846 times
Quote:
And, while he was (mostly) appreciative of the gift, he informed her that "it was not polite to buy tickets for a night out unless you also include enough money to pay for a babysitter."
Why stop there. Include money for the babysitter's trust fund to attend any college she wants too. And of course, buy a new car for the couple to attend the concert in.

Some people are so amazingly ungrateful for kind gestures. If someone made that remark about a gift, I would withdrawal the gift and give it to someone else who would appreciate it.

Old 10-17-2018, 12:02 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,377,846 times
Quote:
It really is not a big deal, but it came up in conversation recently and I wanted to get other opinions on it. I think that it was probably meant as a joke but the sister really thought (both then and now) that he meant it seriously.
Someone goes out of their to do something nice and pays for it, that's a really stupid remark to make. Not funny and not kind at all. Some people simply don't know how to behave and it isn't your job to raise them. Withdraw the gift.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting