Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2019, 08:38 PM

2,466 posts, read 2,764,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNooYawk2 View Post
Calling him a 'bum' isn't something done lightly. It's not easy on a forum like this to list his various transgressions but I'll highlight the latest (last) one: he communicated to my daughter's entire family that 'in future, if you wish to contact her in any way, you are to do it through me. I will be monitoring all her family interactions'. Needless to say, that fell flat.
Based on the previous interaction, resulting in all of you basically disowning her, I don’t see a problem with her husband being protective of her and her feelings. Overall, the situation wasn’t handled well by your or your other children. Perhaps she is suffering from a mental health crisis altering her perceptions and recollections but basically cross examining her and ostracizeing her, in the way your family had, is in no way beneficial to any of you but mostly her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2019, 07:27 AM

15,866 posts, read 21,445,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNooYawk2 View Post
Calling him a 'bum' isn't something done lightly. It's not easy on a forum like this to list his various transgressions but I'll highlight the latest (last) one: he communicated to my daughter's entire family that 'in future, if you wish to contact her in any way, you are to do it through me. I will be monitoring all her family interactions'. Needless to say, that fell flat.
Sounds like he's protecting her from her bums of a family to me.

In your other posts, you seem very focused on what she said when she was a teenager. I'll give you my own experience: I was raped when I was 17, ended up pregnant as a result, and miscarried. I only told 3 people - the two police officers who didn't believe me and someone who I thought was a good friend. Because that "friend" started some gossip and rumors about how I was lying about it not being consensual, I denied, denied, denied what was happening. Had my parents asked me, I likely would have said something similar to what your daughter said. When people asked me point blank if I had been raped after hearing the rumors, I denied it. It is truly heinous to be violated in such a way and to feel that kind of vulnerability, and many of us who have been through it are not able to accept or process what happened until many years later.

If you immediately jump to the "BUT SHE HAD SUCH A GOOD HOME" defense, I can understand why she would not have felt comfortable talking to you as a teenager.

Many of my friends are still Facebook friends with my rapist. My brother knew him. I doubt any have a clue. I'm only a few years younger than your daughter and I remember very well the culture when we were in high school. Rape victims were generally not believed (my experience reporting my rape only to meet brick walls seemed to be about the norm rather than the horrible exception). It was nothing like today. This article struck a chord with me and, based on my Facebook comments when I shared it, a LOT of women experienced horrible things that have stuck with them that they never told anyone about because they didn't want to end up like this girl: https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...=.72fd892fba2d Girls knew not to talk about it because they would be doubted, shamed, and ostracized in many communities. You only talked about your rape if it was a stranger pulling you into an alley, not a friend or a date.

I also question the judgment of asking her friends if they believed/knew she was raped. Did you ask her before you did that? I can't even begin to imagine how I would respond if my high school friend's parents reached out because they didn't believe she was raped. I certainly wouldn't have told them what I really thought because that's wildly out of bounds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting