Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 06:00 AM

1,938 posts, read 6,261,635 times

Advertisements

My 2.5 yo has been potty trained for a year now (with the exception of naps and bedtime) She was trained young simply because she was ready.. I even checked with the pediatrician and she agreed she seemed ready. She always notified us when she needed to potty (#1, #2). Lately though she has been having accidents, and doesnt notify us when she has to go. We constantly ask her and prompt her, but she always says no. We started putting her on the potty randomly to be sure there are no accidents and she usually goes. Im concerned as to why she has stopped telling us. Does anyone have any ideas? I feel like Im starting over and she was doing sooo well. There have not been any changes in her environment that would cause her to be under stress or anything like that..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 06:10 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,489,531 times
just a question:
any new baby coming along that she knows about? that may make her think that she would be replaced as baby.
but maybe she is just "busy" playing and doesnt want to stop--many kids do that

Old 04-09-2008, 07:20 AM

2,868 posts, read 9,551,616 times
We had lots of little phases like that...for different reasons...New baby, we moved, now if she is playing and does not want to stop...
I think it is normal for small set backs.

Old 04-09-2008, 10:09 AM
TGS

360 posts, read 1,721,604 times
Your daughter sounds very normal. I have noticed that if the kid is potty trained before 3, there are usually phases here and there where they have a lot of accidents. Don't worry about it as long as she isn't doing it deliberately for attention. If she isn't fully potty trained during naps and bedtime, then she is still developing physically and will be prone to accidents anyway. It isn't a big deal. Just have her wear pull-ups when she goes out of the house.

Old 04-09-2008, 11:50 AM

It's not that she's having accidents.. thats acceptable. But she went from telling us "mommy potty!) when she had to go.. to saying nothing, not even after she wets herself. Thats my concern..

Old 04-09-2008, 01:08 PM
TGS

360 posts, read 1,721,604 times
You might try letting it go for a few weeks, and having her just go back to diapers/pull-ups. If you are asking her about it all the time, and even putting her on the toilet when she isn't asking to go, then she probably is getting stressed out.

We tried to potty train our daughter at 2, when all of the other parents on the block were too. We were very positive about it, and bought her nice pull-ups and big girl underwear. We tried getting all excited and clapping when she sat on the kiddie toilet, and got her special toilet paper with stars on it. After about two weeks, we gave up because she just wasn't having it and the whole process was stressful for her and us. She continued to wear the pull-ups, but that was it. About a week after her third birthday, she just woke up one morning and started using the toilet. There wasn't any notice. She just took off her pull-up, got onto the toilet, and went. She left the pull-up on the floor and put on her big girl underwear. We gave her a few lessons on how to wipe the first day, but that was it. She has never had an accident. I consider it the easiest potty training in history.

I know a lot of parents just can't wait that long, but compared to how stressful and hard all it was on all the other parents on the block to potty train their kids, I wouldn't do it any other way. So many parents get worried if their kid regresses with the potty thing, but they are just kids. As long as it isn't a manipulation thing, then let it go. Don't even ask her about the potty for awhile, and don't make it a big deal when you change her. I bet that she will start using the toilet again in no time.

Old 04-09-2008, 08:05 PM

2,972 posts, read 8,213,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oobie119 View Post
My 2.5 yo has been potty trained for a year now (with the exception of naps and bedtime) She was trained young simply because she was ready.. I even checked with the pediatrician and she agreed she seemed ready. She always notified us when she needed to potty (#1, #2). Lately though she has been having accidents, and doesnt notify us when she has to go. We constantly ask her and prompt her, but she always says no. We started putting her on the potty randomly to be sure there are no accidents and she usually goes. Im concerned as to why she has stopped telling us. Does anyone have any ideas? I feel like Im starting over and she was doing sooo well. There have not been any changes in her environment that would cause her to be under stress or anything like that..
Having potty trained twins, one woke up one morning and said "I have to go potty".... just like that, he was potty trained completely. This already having had potty trained a child two years sooner. The second twin took about 10 months with many, many set backs. The feeling like having to start all over again is very normal. Consistency is key. If you keep evenly after each relapse, it does get a lot easier each time. Hope this helps.

Old 04-10-2008, 12:47 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,444,022 times
Maybe she can have a special treat of some sort. Whatever reading a book, food, anything to reward her in a special way.

Old 04-10-2008, 09:07 AM

1 posts, read 5,103 times
does anyone know of mother's day out programs in central or south new jersey for toddlers?

Old 04-11-2008, 08:01 AM

yesterday she told me 2x! I am so relieved. I praised her like crazy and gave her a few M&M's. When she signaled me for #2, I pulled out a new bucket and shovel for her.. she was elated! Hopefully it will continue.. thanks for all the advice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting