Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 04:25 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,371,533 times

Advertisements

My parents didn't complain about it. I watched pretty much everything they watched.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2019, 06:43 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
I'm the parent of a teen and I don't let him watch violent movies or play violent video games, when they are too realistic. Fortunately he's fine with that, and has said that he doesn't even understand why people enjoy watching that stuff. He does play some horror scary stuff like Five Nights at Freddie's but not blood and gore and first person shooter type games.

Old 04-01-2019, 09:46 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,877,553 times
It's not the violent visuals in the video games that make teens violent. That'd be like saying a violent movie makes a person violent. Here's the real reason. It's the ongoing failures in the video games, and the frustration caused by such failures, that causes violent anger/lashing out. It's basically lashing out at the video game calling you a loser, as strange as it may sound. Sadly, there's no way around it, except for using cheat codes. Because video game makers earn more profits when their games are frustratingly difficult.

Old 04-02-2019, 05:20 AM

2,264 posts, read 1,485,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
As a parent in the 90's, many studies then said that watching violence increased violent behavior in kids.

(Not sure if that is true or not, but that is what we parents were told.)
There's a difference between 'many studies' in things like peer-reviewed journals of psychology or sociology backing a hypothesis, and many talking heads on the idiot box or many grandstanding politicians making an unsupported claim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by milesdavid View Post
There's a theory in communication studies about cultivation theory, that is if someone spend enough time to watch TV, they will assume that the reality is similar to what they saw on tv. Psychologically, there're lots of experiments showing about the behavioral changes when kids are being exposed to violent contents.
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
There was a perception that violence affects brains. Studies remain inconclusive. Better safe than sorry IMO, especially since Mortal Kombat was just an awful movie from start to finish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
It's not the violent visuals in the video games that make teens violent. That'd be like saying a violent movie makes a person violent. Here's the real reason. It's the ongoing failures in the video games, and the frustration caused by such failures, that causes violent anger/lashing out. It's basically lashing out at the video game calling you a loser, as strange as it may sound. Sadly, there's no way around it, except for using cheat codes. Because video game makers earn more profits when their games are frustratingly difficult.
And yet here in the real world, while movies and video games have been getting more graphic and violent - and more available - the violent crime rate has been steadily falling.

No, I'm talking about the actual, verifiable violent crime rate, not the vague impression some people get from staring uncritically at the 24/7 news cycle.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...?noredirect=on

Old 04-02-2019, 08:46 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,763,548 times
I never paid any attention to the violence in movies or cartoons. The video games were never mentioned.
Let me say I had all girls. They didn’t care about that stuff. The only thing I worried about when watching anything was if it would scare them. If a movie did, they would leave the room not wanting to watch.
When we make a big deal out of some things, it triggers the rebellion gene, makes it more attractive.

Old 04-02-2019, 09:42 AM

12,042 posts, read 8,425,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarkinson View Post
Why is it that parents always get in the way of fun and cool stuff?
Because, "It's all fun and games until somebody gets their eye poked out."

Old 04-02-2019, 01:15 PM

16,548 posts, read 19,703,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Have you ever been the parent of a pre-teen or teenager?
OP is obviously young as you can tell by his last question.

Quote:
It's the ongoing failures in the video games, and the frustration caused by such failures, that causes violent anger/lashing out. It's basically lashing out at the video game calling you a loser, as strange as it may sound.
WTF? no... no it's not.

Old 04-02-2019, 01:30 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
Quote:
You're not completely wrong, I do agree from observation that the games seem designed to cause frustration by sometimes being too difficult to win without cheating.

But that's a separate topic from the violence. Both aspects can be problematic but it doesn't make them the same thing.

Old 04-02-2019, 02:16 PM

412 posts, read 275,908 times
Violent behaviors have been linked to violent video games more than shows and movies. It's because they are engaging and reward for violent behavior.

I don't know if in the 90s was more than any other decade though. I don't recall parents of my friends being like that.

Old 04-03-2019, 11:56 AM

1,955 posts, read 1,760,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post

And yet here in the real world, while movies and video games have been getting more graphic and violent - and more available - the violent crime rate has been steadily falling.

No, I'm talking about the actual, verifiable violent crime rate, not the vague impression some people get from staring uncritically at the 24/7 news cycle.
Yes but realize that while movies and video games have been getting more graphic and violent and available, it's also the case that parental controls are getting more prevalent and widely used, and more and more parents are not allowing their younger children access to the graphic and violent media. Which is much more likely to account for the drop in violent crimes as shown in your graph.

That's exactly what the OP said, right? Parents in the 90s started restricting the violence their kids were exposed to? And your graph shows violent crimes starting to decline in the 90s? That's a direct correlation, right? And therefore it obviously shows causation, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting