Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2019, 02:09 PM

2,532 posts, read 1,866,746 times

Advertisements

I hear a lot by people that their parents were/are abusive but make better grandparents and get along with their grandkids. Parents and their own adult kids often argue and don't get along despite being past teenager years. Every once in a while you do hear about grandparents having bad relationships with their grandkids or not even acknowledging them but that is in the minority. Seems like compared to the olden days, grandparents have become more involved with grandkids lives maybe in part to longer lives and retirement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2019, 04:24 PM

3,263 posts, read 5,005,094 times
I am a MUCH better grandparent than I was as a parent! I take care of my 4-y/o granddaughter (my only grandchild) two days a week, and I love the time I spend with her. I find I have almost infinite patience with her, something I never had with my own kids when they were small.

Maybe it's because I'm older, and have presumably learned a few things in my life. Maybe it's because I only have her for two ten-hour days a week, and then I take her back to her parents. Maybe it's because I'm a retired widow, and I don't have the pressures of work, raising a family, taking care of a husband. Maybe it's because she's the most wonderful, beautiful child ever born.

Maybe it's all of the above.

Old 04-03-2019, 09:13 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,185,020 times
A grand parent's role is different. They aren't responsible for turning the kids into responsible, functioning adults. they are there to provide junk food and fun. I also think they relax a lot, compared to a new parent (or any parent in a new phase with their child), and they hopefully learn from the mistakes they made as parents. Sometimes I can't believe the things that come out of my mom's mouth. She tells me not to do things with my kids that she always did with me.

Old 04-04-2019, 06:30 AM

5,821 posts, read 5,306,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
I hear a lot by people that their parents were/are abusive but make better grandparents and get along with their grandkids. Parents and their own adult kids often argue and don't get along despite being past teenager years. Every once in a while you do hear about grandparents having bad relationships with their grandkids or not even acknowledging them but that is in the minority. Seems like compared to the olden days, grandparents have become more involved with grandkids lives maybe in part to longer lives and retirement.
Grandparents usually have more money, free time and less stress. Too much stress and not enough money makes any endeavor difficult. Grandparents mantra is; feed 'em sugar, red Kool-Aid, and send 'em home.

Old 04-04-2019, 06:37 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
Perspective.
Patience.
Pocketbook.

The reason older parents also tend to be more chill.

Old 04-04-2019, 09:44 AM

801 posts, read 615,878 times
The demands are less and hindsight is 20/20.

Old 04-04-2019, 10:26 AM

2,067 posts, read 1,866,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Perspective.
Patience.
Pocketbook.

The reason older parents also tend to be more chill.

I agree, and will add a good night's sleep!

Old 04-04-2019, 10:52 AM

21,950 posts, read 9,517,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
I am a MUCH better grandparent than I was as a parent! I take care of my 4-y/o granddaughter (my only grandchild) two days a week, and I love the time I spend with her. I find I have almost infinite patience with her, something I never had with my own kids when they were small.

Maybe it's because I'm older, and have presumably learned a few things in my life. Maybe it's because I only have her for two ten-hour days a week, and then I take her back to her parents. Maybe it's because I'm a retired widow, and I don't have the pressures of work, raising a family, taking care of a husband. Maybe it's because she's the most wonderful, beautiful child ever born.

Maybe it's all of the above.
It's this.

Old 04-04-2019, 12:09 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,765,333 times
We don’t have the day to day stress and responsibility of being the go to for a child like a parent does.
We’re not cleaning the daily messes, doing countless loads of laundry, running to activities, worrying about homework and school functions, tests, etc.

We just get to enjoy them, they leave, and the mess gets cleaned to stay that way until the next time.

Old 04-04-2019, 03:51 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,954,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
That's easy. Being a grandparent is a much easier job, and a lot more fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting