Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 12:49 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,419,481 times

Advertisements

I would start contacting the parents and asking them if they plan to attend or not. If you can get five "yeses" then I would proceed with the party.

Also, consider sending invites to every kid in the class, that way, you might get more kids attending the party. It's okay for a child to be around kids he doesn't necessarily like that much, if it's just for one or two hours at a party.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2019, 12:54 PM

356 posts, read 176,616 times
My god the level of negativity here is outstanding sometimes.

To the OP...how did you distribute the invites? Mail? Give to your son to hand out? I ask because our youngest daughter is notorious for not handing out anything we give her on her way to school. We've looked in her bookbag from time to time and found stuff weeks and months old and overdue.

Otherwise a followup with the parents is a good idea. RSVPing in reasonable time is becoming a lost art.

Old 04-16-2019, 01:02 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,797,512 times
I like to use evite for parties like this where I may not know the parents well because it will tell me when people have read the invite so I know who got it and who didn’t. It also makes it easy to send out a reminder a few days before. I would wait and see at this point. Many people won’t RSVP until the week of.

Old 04-16-2019, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
It sounds as if your son has no friends at school. .
I wouldn't jump to this negative conclusion about someone's child, based only on this. A lot of kids don't or can't attend parties due to lots of extra curricular activities. Our daughter has had to miss birthday parties because she is in recitals, even though she badly wanted to go to them. And depending on the timing, lots of kids can miss the party because they have a soccer game or something else going on.

Old 04-16-2019, 01:41 PM

269 posts, read 482,237 times
Don't stress. As a mom who has come out the other side, my advice is to just accept that most people don't RSVP. Plan to contact the parents a few days before. I bet most of the kids are coming. Hope the party is a big hit.

Old 04-16-2019, 03:43 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,775,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmf33078 View Post
My son will have his 10th birthday party in two weeks. He has sent invitations to almost his entire class. But no one has RSVPed yet. Should I just cancel the party and do something with him or just see what happens? I don’t want him to have to go school and see the kids who were supposed to come to his party.
Is this party during spring break? Could that account for people not attending?

Old 04-16-2019, 04:28 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,919,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
Some people are notorious for not RSVPing in just about any situation. Etiquette is definitely something that people need to be better educated about and put into practice more.

True. People are slack about responding.....
call them even if you shouldn't have to do so.

Hope it all works out.

Old 04-16-2019, 09:15 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,151,069 times
This subject comes up a lot. First, did you send the invitations via email or text? Using Evite is great because you can see who responded with yes or no or even who received the invitation. In the past I'd use Evite then put a number where they could text. Nobody I know physically calls anyone to talk or leave a message. It's all texting now whether we like it nor not.

By the age of 10 a lot of parents are "over" big class parties and because of busy schedules kids will only attend their close friends' parties. Does your son have close friends in his class? I'd call those parents first to ensure that at least the kids he knows best will come.

Old 04-16-2019, 10:10 PM

634 posts, read 710,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
People these days rarely RSVP. It's so frustrating.

It's too early to give up. I agree with the suggestion to email the parents individually in a few days.
This has not been my experience. Where we live most invites are sent from popular evite sites. Every time I have RSVP’ED almost everyone Has rsvp’ed as well. This is for well over 50 birthday parties.

Old 04-16-2019, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradomom22 View Post
This subject comes up a lot. First, did you send the invitations via email or text? Using Evite is great because you can see who responded with yes or no or even who received the invitation. In the past I'd use Evite then put a number where they could text. Nobody I know physically calls anyone to talk or leave a message. It's all texting now whether we like it nor not..
I've gotten phone call RSVPs, as well as emailed ones. Not everyone texts.

And I would never send a birthday party invite by text message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting