Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 01:14 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,136,916 times

Advertisements

I don't know whether to post this in tv or here so I'm sorry if this is the wrong place! I'm posting this here to ask if ppl are letting their kids watch this show.

I watched the whole season in just a few days. i didn't know about it, i was just looking through Netflix and saw that the 2nd season was coming out and I hadn't seen the first season. It was recommended on Netflix for me since I love teen shows and so I decided to watch it.

It's a show about a girl who gets bullied and takes her own life, then leaves tapes to everyone in her life explaining why she did it and how they were the reasons (13 reasons why) that she did it.

Im all for teens learning about the real world and real issues but sometimes when watching this I just thought it was so... wrong. And inappropriate! The suicide scene was just way to much and i think they focused on it to long. The show seemed more about the lead girl getting revenge and teaching everyone a lesson by bullying her and treating her bad. The show also has a rape scene which was just really awful. I think they could have just not filmed that and not showed as much as they did. I know its just a tv show but it was very depressing and i don't think young teens should be watching it.

Are your kids watching it? How old are they?

I also watched anne on Netflix a few months ago. it's based on anne of green gables. Now Anne of Green Gables doesn't have suicide or anuything like that in it, and its not the same kind of show as 13 Reasons Why but the remake of Anne is pretty dark and I didn't think it was appropriate for kids either to be honest. And Anne isn't a teen, she's a twelve year old girl. It's supposed to be a fun story about a girl finding a family but it was just really dark and depressing.

I just guess kids TV is changing but I just find it sad. I'm not a a parent and I know every parent decides what's best and what is appropriate I'm honestly not judging anybody. i know that my siblings all used to watch walking dead and all that stuff and my mom let them (even though they are younger and barely understood it) but it's just crazy to me that these shows are teen/kid shows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2018, 06:58 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,176,722 times
What was wrong with Anne? My kids are 8 and 7 and they loved it.

Most of the parents of teens I know have said their kids have seen 13 Reasons Why. I think it's a show that parents should watch with their teens and have discussions.

Old 05-23-2018, 07:12 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,979,232 times
The target audience is teens and when I watched it last year (not a teen), I thought it was pretty graphic, though I was not bothered by the graphic scenes and I think certain scenes are very graphic for a reason. It's definitely NOT intended for teens, or for anyone really, who suffers from mental health problems because obviously, it can be an extreme trigger, especially for those who have a history of self-harm or who are/have been suicidal. I don't think it's inappropriate for teenagers to watch in general but I do think parents need to know their children and whether or not they can handle watching such a show or whether it will be like a trigger for them. I do think a show like 13 Reasons Why is a reason that parents should monitor their kids' Netflix use, because any kid with a laptop or tablet and family Netflix account can start watching in their room at night, and parents may not have a clue.

I do think that in a sense, the show can be kid of educational. I remember watching and thinking, why the hell would Hannah do that, or NOT do this instead?? Can't remember specific examples at this point but I do remember many times wondering why she did something rather than something else, which would clearly have been the better decision for her; same with other characters in her life. Yes, she's a character who was clearly depressed so she may not have been thinking clearly but there was a lot that went wrong or was overlooked in her life, including decisions she made herself, and I think some of what happened in the show is a good learning experience for teens of what NOT to do if you or anyone you know is or may be in Hannah's situation. It's a show that tells the story of what went wrong, who and what failed a child, including her OWN faults, and I think for that, it can be eye opening.

Old 05-23-2018, 10:29 AM

1,019 posts, read 1,043,731 times
My kids haven't seen it.

I would cautiously allow my oldest child, who is 13, to watch it, but only if doing so with me, so we could talk about. I'd prefer that she not, though, at her current age, but she's relatively mature and for the most part, self-regulates pretty well as far as her media intake.

No way would my two younger kids (10 & 7) watch although I can see my 10-year (almost 11) asking. That'd be a hard no.

Old 05-23-2018, 10:51 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,228,599 times
It was tough to watch, but the first season was powerful. My oldest child is 13 and I think he might be a bit young for this show yet, his school has had assemblies with parents of teens who committed suicide, so he's not a complete stranger to the topic.

As far as Anne With an E, I've only seen a few episodes so far, and I'm intrigued that they are exploring what her life was probably like before the Cuthberts adopted her. Life for orphans was brutal in that era, and I don't think we can really appreciate what Anne became, without seeing it in the context of having spent 10 years as an orphan.

Old 05-23-2018, 08:47 PM

1,314 posts, read 2,054,086 times
I would not let my teen watch the show. Educators, mental health professionals and others have all come out against the show, citing how dangerous and problematic it is, and that it doesn't address issues in a realistic or responsible way. It's been produced purely for shock value. For the parent with the 13-year-old above, please note that in the second season there is a violent and graphic gang rape of a teen boy. It's the last episode, so I'm not sure what we're left with other than a lot of teens (and adults) on Twitter saying they've been scarred for life, can't stop shaking and crying, and wish it's something they could "unsee."

Yes, the world is harsh. That dosn't mean kids need a baptism by fire (or Selena Gomez) by way of explicit material detailing every single possible thing that could go wrong in a person's life. Not every problem teens face has to be addressed in one show. It's not believable storytelling, and it's far too overwhelming for young viewers. The reviews are terrible, largely because of the provocative nature and desire to shock for no real educational reason. It's the worst kind of television.

Old 05-24-2018, 06:03 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,668,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelenogirl View Post
I would not let my teen watch the show. Educators, mental health professionals and others have all come out against the show, citing how dangerous and problematic it is, and that it doesn't address issues in a realistic or responsible way. It's been produced purely for shock value. For the parent with the 13-year-old above, please note that in the second season there is a violent and graphic gang rape of a teen boy. It's the last episode, so I'm not sure what we're left with other than a lot of teens (and adults) on Twitter saying they've been scarred for life, can't stop shaking and crying, and wish it's something they could "unsee."

Yes, the world is harsh. That dosn't mean kids need a baptism by fire (or Selena Gomez) by way of explicit material detailing every single possible thing that could go wrong in a person's life. Not every problem teens face has to be addressed in one show. It's not believable storytelling, and it's far too overwhelming for young viewers. The reviews are terrible, largely because of the provocative nature and desire to shock for no real educational reason. It's the worst kind of television.
I couldn’t agree more. I used to be an educator and watched it when it first came out. It made me furious. I have not watched the second season, but it’s absolutely the wrong message to give to teens. There was no positive message to come out of it. I didn’t see any insight and it was mainly just a lot of finger pointing instead of a realistic discussion of suicide and why it happens. I knew kids who were suicidal when I was in HS and this didn’t even come close to addressing the problems.

Old 05-26-2018, 08:06 AM

26,720 posts, read 26,793,862 times
There's a thread on the TV sub forum about this show, with some other opinions about how appropriate it is for certain ages.

//www.city-data.com/forum/tv/27...asons-why.html

Old 05-26-2018, 03:09 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,879,617 times
I watched it and it does glamorize suicide. It isn't about it being graphic, the issues people are most concerned about is that it makes suicide look like a way to get back at people who wronged you and get the attention you wanted while alive. The girl who kills herself is very pretty but in teenage drama and depression. It really did glamorize suicide.

Knowing that, I think it needs to be watched by teens with a parent, if at all.

I imagine season 2 will be similar. I haven't watched it.

The new Anne series is very dark and so I wouldn't let my kids watch it until I felt like they could handle the topics...and with an adult to talk about specific issues. This might be more true for kids who were adopted.

I wouldn't flat out ban either of these shows, but I would pre-screen them, and make sure I felt they were mature enough to handle the content and also I would watch with them and use them for teaching topics.

P.S. Daisy, isn't it a little hypocritical to bash parents who think Show dogs isn't appropriate for children but then think this one isn't good for teens?

Last edited by HighFlyingBird; 05-26-2018 at 04:20 PM..

Old 05-26-2018, 07:42 PM

48 posts, read 34,402 times
Nope. Awful show
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting