Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2019, 09:58 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
You should start a separate thread for this as you will get more answers there. I would certainly be concerned about the little one since doctors recommend no screen time at all for children this young.

Since you share a house with the dad, can you talk to him and offer some caregiving for the child? What is your relationship to the dad? You say the dad is bipolar. Is he taking meds for that? He may not be able to interact well with his son? Where is the mom in all this?
Great questions. My grandchildren (3 and 5) do not have any TV screen time (no TV in the house) and 15 to 20 minutes (usually an educational video) before bed. They also can use iPads during long car or airplane rides.

IMHO, too much screen time means less book time, less fine motor time, less social interaction time, less independent play time, less learning basic skills time, less gross motor/play outside time, less language/talking/sharing time, etc. That can cause many problems for a young child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2019, 01:44 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Before bed is the worst time for screens.
Stop 30 minutes prior to bed.

Adults, too.

Old 10-04-2019, 05:47 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Before bed is the worst time for screens.
Stop 30 minutes prior to bed.

Adults, too.
I completely agree, but as the mother/MIL I am limited in how many parenting suggestions/advice that I make (if any). My point was more that the 3 and 5 year old are limited to 15 to 20 minutes of screen time (computers and TV) per day (except for special situations, like on an airplane) and not when the screen time happened.

Old 10-04-2019, 07:59 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,546,864 times
If children are allowed to use screens before bed, there should be a blue-light blocker installed on the device. Research is showing bad effects on children's sleep due to exposure to blue light.

Old 10-04-2019, 08:19 PM

11,161 posts, read 7,967,013 times
We were only allowed limited screen time. There was no argument. Limited time or NO time... your call.

Old 04-13-2020, 06:28 AM

117 posts, read 392,358 times
I appreciate all the input. I have a background as a broadcast technician, so I feel like the first one qualified to say all of this is too much. I don't even or want to watch that much TV myself! I have left printouts of articles from child and medical professionals referencing this. The dad just gets angry. I'm noticing now that the kid is about 6 mths into his second year, that he blinks ALOT, in an exaggerated manner. I am sure there is some ADHD going on, because it is near impossible to get him to entertain my trying to read a book to him.

He already evidences communication difficulties. He can repeat numbers, the alphabet, and some colors from overexposure to TV, but no real conversation skills. He knows some television characters, but terms like 'Daddy' or 'Aunt' don't come from him. He evidences intelligence, but can't/doesn't express himself.

The son does play by himself, ALOT, and I am pleased to notice that often, he doesn't actually pay attn. to the TV, but still, it seems like the constant stream of repetitive noise is detrimental . . .

I'm so distraught, because the father raised 4 boys previously with a different mother, and is licensed sports coach, so I expected him to be a really great dad. He takes care of the needs, but this argument over the TV has been had with the current mother, as well as myself. I just can't comprehend the ignorance of the dad to believe this is a good idea. I play with the little one as often as I can, and willfully have no television on, but certainly can't overcome this created addiction, especially when the kid starts asking for this show or that show.

I am not a mother, but I am intelligent, and am disappointed that I am dismissed because of my 'lack of experience'. I can't help but think people have their first baby every day and have to figure out care and some of this is just common sense. I know this is a little repetetive, but I canNOT understand how someone can think TV exposure during a kid's every waking moment is beneficial. I think it is odd that the dad thinks there has to be a continuous stream of broadcast, of whatever type, feeding into the kid's head . . .

I asked dad once, what was the little one's favorite bedtime story.
"He doesn't have one."
I didn't risk asking directly, but I figured that because I'm pretty sure he doesn't read to him before bed. I don't know what the deal with that is, either. I never am aware that the dad is reading to the little one at all. Dad is not illiterate, spends lots of time online . . .

---- Very sad for kid

Old 04-13-2020, 06:58 AM

6,796 posts, read 2,910,085 times
Don't worry too much about anything too long term. The issues we discuss here are only temporary for all of us. In a hundred years time no one will remember any of us us unless we accomplish something of value to the world ...or assassinate a president or a celebrity ...and make the history books. I hate to say this but it will be as though you, me, our kids, everyone of us never existed. I know ...I don't like it either.

Old 04-13-2020, 12:56 PM

2,871 posts, read 1,150,567 times
Are you for real, OP? Take the gadget away.
Problem solved.

Old 04-13-2020, 02:30 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,414,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentingimproved View Post
I am a father of 3 year old. Limiting screen time has been definitely a challenge for me. I am thinking to immerse myself in this topic & find a solution for this problem. I asked some of my friends. They all seem to have the same problem. Would you be interested in advice on the same?
Take the screen away. Problem solved.

Is it really that difficult to think of the solution?

Old 04-13-2020, 04:30 PM

19,807 posts, read 9,367,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentingimproved View Post
I am a father of 3 year old. Limiting screen time has been definitely a challenge for me. I am thinking to immerse myself in this topic & find a solution for this problem. I asked some of my friends. They all seem to have the same problem. Would you be interested in advice on the same?
Here you go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TK9z23x8QJY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting