Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 12:29 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times

Advertisements

I'm certainly willing to be corrected by someone with different experience than I have but I have never heard of a school having a bus stop at a suburban strip mall. Stops are typically within neighborhoods, or maybe a particular school is a staging area for buses that go on to serve other school.

I also have a hard time with the idea of a 16 year old who doesn't know how to reach her parents - I mean, if you want to make that part of the story, claim to have lost your phone and you can't remember the number, which is reasonable, most people don't bother memorizing numbers any more.

I would have also called the police - probably 911 just because it's easier and quicker, and then they can assess the appropriate response time based on what else is happening.

I don't know if the 16 year old was in danger or if she was part of trying to set up a scenario that would have put the OP in danger. But all the experts on personal safety will tell you to listen to your instincts when they tell you something isn't right. There was something not right about this situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2019, 12:36 PM

6,424 posts, read 4,917,410 times
I would have called 911 or done something. If I found out later she had been killed, raped of kidnapped I never would have forgiven myself. Whatever her motives were and even if I was suspicious I would at a minimum have called a Lyft or Uber and if she refused then I would have been very skeptical of her motives. No way I would have taken her myself, that would only be asking for trouble.

Old 06-10-2019, 12:43 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,654,555 times
I would have dialed 911 and said "there is a lost teenager in a parking lot asking strangers for help."

The non-emergency number does nothing!

Old 06-10-2019, 12:46 PM

3,024 posts, read 2,241,251 times
After reading the responses here, I am changing my opinion. It sounded very off, and I agree with the previous posters who said to follow your instincts. That said, a young teen by herself in a parking lot is not right. I assume that the businesses in the strip mall were all closed at this time?

So, I'm going to change my vote and agree that calling the police is best for everyone's safety.

Old 06-10-2019, 12:48 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,614,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post
After reading the responses here, I am changing my opinion. It sounded very off, and I agree with the previous posters who said to follow your instincts. That said, a young teen by herself in a parking lot is not right. I assume that the businesses in the strip mall were all closed at this time?

So, I'm going to change my vote and agree that calling the police is best for everyone's safety.
No, they weren't. Starbucks was open (the majority of the people in the parking lot would've been going there), the breakfast place that I was going to was open, and the grocery store was open.

Old 06-10-2019, 02:10 PM

9,865 posts, read 7,736,569 times
Just checked, Houston schools are out for summer.

Old 06-10-2019, 02:15 PM

9,865 posts, read 7,736,569 times
I'm going to add something else to this thread. I take photos of everything. Suspicious person or vehicle at home, at work or in the neighborhood? My phone is out and I slyly take photos. They are time/date stamped and may come in handy some day. It doesn't hurt to take the photo, you can delete later if you don't need it.

If the police ask what she looked like, you've got a photo for them to use.

Old 06-10-2019, 02:18 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,385,679 times
Approaching strangers is often a ploy used by predators, and they often use an accomplice. Best to contact the police right away if you have your cell phone with you.

Old 06-10-2019, 02:21 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post
That is weird. A 16yo should definitely know how to contact a parent or other trusted adult.
This whole story is weird. My grandson is in Junior Kindergarten (Four year old kindergarten) and one of the goals is to learn at least one parents full phone number (including area code). My grandson can do that and my three year old grand-daughter is part way there.

Old 06-10-2019, 02:23 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,614,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Just checked, Houston schools are out for summer.
I’m actually not in Houston or Texas, so school is still in session here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Approaching strangers is often a ploy used by predators, and they often use an accomplice. Best to contact the police right away if you have your cell phone with you.
Scary. Well, since the general consensus seems to be to call the police, hopefully one of the quick thinking adults who she approached after me did just that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting