Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2019, 10:43 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,512,386 times

Advertisements

Moderator cut: FYI

This thread had a few posts and responses to the rules of the forums Parenting and Non Relationships

The rule about Social media threads was shelved a long time ago.
Unless they are specifically about parenting, and those sub forums or Non romantic relationships they do not belong in these particular forums but in another forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2019, 12:47 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,326,193 times
I love my friends. Some are going through things I have no clue about. I'll try to be supportive. Our culture is so instantaneous. We don't have time to click on a post to view our friends adventures. I much prefer personal pictures than political stuff, or nonsense, or "find out what kind of tree you are" tests.
On the other hand I try not to indiscriminately "friend" people.

Old 06-15-2019, 07:11 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,593,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josmyth View Post
Sounds like she is needy for attention and is getting it through her daughter. I know several friends like this. If it bothers you, just scroll on by.

So much better that she's feeding her need for attention by bragging about her daughter's positive qualities, than taking the opposite route and becoming a Munchausen's Syndrome by Proxy mother.

Old 06-17-2019, 11:14 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,350,394 times
So a mother is proud of her daughter and what she's doing. That's not unusual. It would be sad if she wasn't proud of her daughter. My daughter completed an IronMan. I posted pictures of her and her current times/status throughout the race when I found one. She was 27 at the time.

I was very excited about the race and very proud of her. Some family members and friends followed along during the day.

Old 06-17-2019, 01:35 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,029,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
And for other people, the most interesting thing about them is their kids, or their job, or their dinner, or their drinking with friends, or the fact that they play the flute. Yes, people have hobbies and interests (hers happen to be running and working out). Yes, they're going to post about that. If that's all they post or it's ad nauseum, that's one thing, but to expect them not to post about the things they're into because it's not "interesting" enough for you? I guess drop them for friends who are professional musicians, find cures for cancer, are on TV, hike the world, etc.

I agree with you. I suppose I should've/could've added "And I'm not interested in marathons, so I scroll on by." But yeah, IMO, it's the most interesting thing about her...and I'm not interested. But I'm not telling her what to do, and she's free to enjoy her life doing what she loves.

I don't block her newsfeed. I just scroll past the latest picture of marathon run, miles ran, etc. Because, yes. It's not interesting to me.

Really, the only newsfeeds I tend to block are people with caustic political rants. I don't need that in my feed. Otherwise...

And I haven't 'dropped' a friend in years.

Old 06-17-2019, 03:44 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,360,802 times
I find it sad some parents live through their children then as they leave the nest, the parent(s) have a hard time coping.

Old 06-18-2019, 05:51 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriank7 View Post
I know that’s not a big deal but now she has gotten her a personal trainer and has albums dedicated to it on FB In her skimpy workout cloths with before and after pics of the muscle she is building. She is 17. Not in any sports or modeling. Is that odd? Some people unfollowed her. I don’t want to. I know some people will post the cliche it’s none of my business. But she makes it our business when she posts it.
Well, I don’t agree. It is not your business what she posts. Block or unfriend if this bothers you. What I’ve sometimes done is put a 30 day block on tiresome FB posters. Or hide the objectionable posts individually.

You say you don’t want to unfollow her, but you find her posts upsetting. I think there is a disconnect there. Think about it.

Old 06-19-2019, 06:48 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,549,657 times
I also can’t believe how much some people post of their kids on social media. It’s like you aren’t a good parent if you aren’t bragging about your kids on Facebook.

Old 06-20-2019, 08:32 PM

25 posts, read 10,256 times
It's her choice.

Old 06-21-2019, 09:30 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,385,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
I find it sad some parents live through their children then as they leave the nest, the parent(s) have a hard time coping.
I've seen the same thing with parents I know who are empty-nesters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting