Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2019, 12:20 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
Our schools have one (too short) recess and they still have music and art. The expectations and curriculum for K and 1st are ridiculous and inappropriate. And yes, they are labeled "behind", even though they should not be. The district expectation is that all children are reading by the end of Kindergarten, and math in 1st grade is all word problems. Every child I know with a summer birthday is "struggling". They are pulled out for math and reading. They hate the homework and their parents struggle to get them to do the required reading.

Separately - yes. Giving babies phones and tablets is a huge problem. Books - which should be one of their best experiences - pale in comparison to flashing, moving images, as do crayons and a teacher. They get very expensive OT because they don't have the strength or dexterity to hold a crayon. They have never waited for anything or stood in a line without a screen to make them happy, so school is an enormous change and they can't handle any sort of free time. Many can't even handle recess, because they don't know what to do with themselves. While everyone complains about the lack of recess time, a good percentage of them are raising children that don't know how to play or be outside. So now you have kids that are less prepared than ever for a classroom setting, being asked to do things no one has ever made them do before, and it's at a level beyond what is developmentally appropriate. All you can do is hope you get a great teacher.
Wow, these are amazingly good points! Almost scary!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2019, 01:10 PM

2,956 posts, read 2,342,936 times
There is a huge issue brewing with kids that have never had to wait for anything. Instant access to whatever show, movie or anything in the palm of their hand. They have never had to deal with being quiet, entertaining themselves or being part of something not immediately interesting. They've grown up with a screen and finger tap access to everything they want.

Kindergarten expects that they went to preschool and learned some basics. Vast majority of kids do just fine and are better prepared for first grade. If your child doesn't perform well, then you can either work with them on your own to catch them up or if you can't do that, be honest with yourself, then hold them back. You don't want to compound the problem and end up in third grade only to find out that they still can't functionally read and they've been coasting on extra credit and curve grading to get by.

This isn't the old days folks. Grades mean nothing, kids virtually can't fail anymore. If you don't keep up with how your child is doing, really doing, then you might get that meeting with the teacher only to find out that they are 2 or 3 grades behind in XYZ. How did they pass you might ask? The system is setup to allow everyone to pass. You have to really try and fail. When many schools won't allow anything below a 60 for a grade you can fudge a few easier tests and hide the fact you are really deficient in other areas.

Old 07-21-2019, 02:36 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,746,362 times
When my daughter was “behind” by school standards, her kindergarten teacher explained to me that the current expectations are not developmentally appropriate and to not worry about it. The teacher did her best to make the class fun and appropriate but still had to adhere to the standards for reading, etc. even though she know it was not right.

Old 07-21-2019, 02:40 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
When my daughter was “behind” by school standards, her kindergarten teacher explained to me that the current expectations are not developmentally appropriate and to not worry about it. The teacher did her best to make the class fun and appropriate but still had to adhere to the standards for reading, etc. even though she know it was not right.
This is insightful. It means, that the agenda is driven by considerations other than developmental readiness. I wonder what those considerations are?

Old 07-21-2019, 03:13 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This is insightful. It means, that the agenda is driven by considerations other than developmental readiness. I wonder what those considerations are?
I started teaching in 1975 and only recently retired, so I definitely saw the changing in curriculum over the years. At least in my area, what used to be 1st grade expectations and goals became Kindergarten expectations and goals and ended up as Junior Kindergarten (four year old kindergarten) expectations and goals. IMHO, it was intense parent pressure that was the major force in these changes. Partly, this was because more and more children were having early academic experiences in day care centers and preschools. Also, many parents were pushing for more, and earlier, academics because they did not understand the value of play-based, natural learning and social skills in young children. And, many parents felt that pushing for early academics would help their children in the next environments (upper elementary, middle school and high school), leading to acceptance in great university/graduate school programs and in better, more lucrative careers.

When I was a co-teacher in Junior Kindergarten (four year old kindergarten) I was surprised at how many parents would ask if we were sure that we were preparing the children to be accepted into "good colleges". This was especially surprising as I taught in a typical, middle class suburb. My friends who were teachers in very high ranked, high upper middle class suburbs said that the pressure from parents for their children to achieve was much more pronounced.

Old 07-21-2019, 04:27 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,253,620 times
In 2nd grade reading shifts from learning how to read to reading for meaning. If a child does not read fluently by 2nd grade there are real issues in how they will learn material in science, social studies, literature. Do not poo poo this. Studies show 2nd graders who don’t read near grade level have a much higher likelihood of not graduating and even a greater likelihood of incarceration. .

Old 07-21-2019, 04:53 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,103,034 times
Is kindergarten the new first grade? I doubt it; given that 25 is the new 18. That’s sort of backwards.

Old 07-21-2019, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The federal government and standards based education is the driving force behind this change.

Old 07-21-2019, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
In 2nd grade reading shifts from learning how to read to reading for meaning. If a child does not read fluently by 2nd grade there are real issues in how they will learn material in science, social studies, literature. Do not poo poo this. Studies show 2nd graders who don’t read near grade level have a much higher likelihood of not graduating and even a greater likelihood of incarceration. .
Actually kids typically focus on learning to read from Kindergarten through third grade and then the shift from learning to read to reading to learn starts in fourth grade. https://www.educationcorner.com/lear...-to-learn.html

Old 07-21-2019, 05:38 PM

325 posts, read 207,721 times
Quote:
The federal government and standards based education is the driving force behind this change.

Start with the SCANS Report around 1991...even though it goes back further.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting