Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2019, 11:14 PM

8,447 posts, read 4,753,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empidonax View Post
Wearing a MAGA hat would be overly political, just like wearing a Bernie shirt or Che Guevara shirt at story-time.

Drag is not explicitly political, though the political left has generally become the province of diversity, acceptance, and inclusion. Some conservatives talk about the "big tent" in their party, but I guess that tent isn't quite so accommodating.

In any case, very few library storytellers are in drag, and when they are, publicity and announcements are made well in advance. OTOH, take a closer look at the library storytellers who are regulars at the task. Some wear crosses and other religious symbolism. I remember some such folks I interacted with as a kid wore such things, but somehow I managed to turn out alright.
So someone in drag should be allowed to read books to children but someone in a MAGA hat shouldn't?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2019, 12:54 AM

7,029 posts, read 4,898,284 times
Um, one thing I haven't noticed yet was whether or not the drag people were actually going to show up in drag. I mean, maybe they just mean to show up in regular everyday clothing. Wouldn't that make this whole thread moot (unless you hate people who wear drag)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Recall the uproar over Harry Potter from the religious conservatives. They couldn't have their kids reading some other mythology. They'd rather have them illiterate.
In Saratoga, CA grade schools, the teachers introduced a game that would help the kids spell. From all accounts, it was very successful. But...the game had wizards and dragons in it and so religious parents threw a fit about it and had the game taken out of the schools. Why don't these people set up a church to homeschool all their kids and be done with it, instead of screwing over all the other kids in the public schools?

Old 09-02-2019, 07:35 AM

2,567 posts, read 5,315,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifty Seven View Post
So someone in drag should be allowed to read books to children but someone in a MAGA hat shouldn't?
I personally wouldn't want anyone with an overtly political appearance (liberal or conservative) to do that in a public venue. Reading to kids should not be a campaign event. YMMV.

But I don't consider dressing in drag to be the leftist political-statement equivalent of wearing a MAGA hat. Wearing a Bernie hat or Che shirt would be such an equivalent, and I wouldn't support that.

(Keep in mind that there are some cross-dressers and drag performers who support Trump. Others are apolitical. Dressing in drag is not an exclusively or fundamentally "leftist" thing. Didn't J. Edgar Hoover dress up as a woman?)

Part of my point is that dressing in drag is not primarily a political statement. Neither is wearing a crucifix, or looking like the Church Lady, or wearing a headscarf, or wearing Amish clothing, or wearing veterans' gear, or wearing a police or firefighter uniform.

(Of course, not all uniforms are acceptable. I wouldn't want strippers reading to my kids.)

I don't see anything wrong with people in any of these costumes reading books to children in a public forum. Even though we (adults) can probably (but not always) guess the political leanings of some of these people, the costumes are not overtly political.

Of course, pre-event publicity should allow for parents to decide to bring their kids or not. If there are people in MAGA hats or Bernie shirts reading to the kids, so be it--public tax money is going to help their campaign, but at least there's public warning ahead of time.

Last edited by Empidonax; 09-02-2019 at 07:43 AM..

Old 09-02-2019, 08:07 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,789,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriank7 View Post
Drag queens are fun for adult entertainment. But for 2 to 8 year olds?
To be honest, I'd not let my kids go to such an event. If they asked why I'd tell them such people are not the type to be alone with or near. I'd never be near then for any reason (Other than medical emergency)

Old 09-02-2019, 01:45 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,949,172 times
Question for those who say it's good because it teaches kids about "differences."

How often do you expect your child to encounter fully made-up drag queens? Do they attend adult drag queenshows? Is that why kids need to be exposed to drag queens?

Here's a novel idea, and one that was taught to me in kindergarten: Be civil to each other. Period. Works for EVERYBODY. No inclusivity training necessary.

Old 09-02-2019, 02:49 PM

25,445 posts, read 9,809,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
To be honest, I'd not let my kids go to such an event. If they asked why I'd tell them such people are not the type to be alone with or near. I'd never be near then for any reason (Other than medical emergency)
Your name suits you, lol.

Old 09-02-2019, 03:40 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,326,193 times
It's a deviation of the norm. Unfortunately deviation is becoming norm.

It's actually pretty mild compared to other things that pass for acceptable.

Old 09-02-2019, 05:36 PM

4,430 posts, read 2,709,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Recall the uproar over Harry Potter from the religious conservatives. They couldn't have their kids reading some other mythology. They'd rather have them illiterate.
Recall? Pffft. It's still ongoing!

Quote:
September 2, 2019

Students at a Catholic elementary school in Tennessee will no longer be able to borrow copies of the Harry Potter book series after a pastor there outlawed them — claiming they contain real curses and spells.
https://nypost.com/2019/09/02/harry-...n-real-curses/

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
It's a deviation of the norm. Unfortunately deviation is becoming norm.
This is indeed a difficult era for conformists (snowflakes) who can't handle the fact that others don't feel the need to conform.

Old 09-02-2019, 06:24 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,864,317 times
Quote:

https://calendar.vapld.info/eventsig...&page=&pgdisp=
I think anything that builds interest in reading and promotes understanding is great, but if people don't want their kids to go, they don't have to send their kids. As it's an event being done by pre-registration it's not like someone at the library can just accidentally end up wandering in there.

I do think there's some drag that's rather hostile to women, but that's true of almost every art and entertainment form. I doubt the library will be inviting any ragingly misogynistic performers. Neither would I expect to see anything that'd get above a PG rating. If it was Movie Hour at the library, you could safely assume they weren't going to show Debbie Does Dallas, couldn't you? Drag is and has been a lot of different things to a lot of different people.

Last edited by Frostnip; 09-02-2019 at 06:41 PM..

Old 09-02-2019, 07:46 PM

37,619 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:

https://calendar.vapld.info/eventsig...&page=&pgdisp=
Nope. All day long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting