Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2019, 08:16 AM

1,153 posts, read 567,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post

In a nutshell, a lot of people are outraged when individuals choose not to stay within the social niche that the conformity scolds and the lecturing finger-waggers demand they stay. And they know that unless children are specifically taught to share this outrage and the demand for conformity, they will accept individuals for who they are.
Nah, I don't care about breaking out of gender roles (in fact, I think that's absolutely fine.) Mary Cheney said it best:

"Why is it socially acceptable—as a form of entertainment—for men to put on dresses, make up and high heels and act out every offensive stereotype of women (bitchy, catty, dumb, slutty, etc.)—but it is not socially acceptable—as a form of entertainment—for a white person to put on blackface and act out offensive stereotypes of African Americans? Shouldn’t both be OK or neither? Why does society treat these activities differently?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2019, 08:35 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly1983 View Post
Nah, I don't care about breaking out of gender roles (in fact, I think that's absolutely fine.) Mary Cheney said it best:

"Why is it socially acceptable—as a form of entertainment—for men to put on dresses, make up and high heels and act out every offensive stereotype of women (bitchy, catty, dumb, slutty, etc.)—but it is not socially acceptable—as a form of entertainment—for a white person to put on blackface and act out offensive stereotypes of African Americans? Shouldn’t both be OK or neither? Why does society treat these activities differently?"
Because the difference here is that blackface was traditionally performed by whites in a position of power.

Sure, drag is not always flattering to women, but it's performed by a traditionally disenfranchised group that is still subject to suppression. Dressing in drag isn't an act of privilege.

This topic hijacks the thread, but it has to be addressed. Drag is not even close to comparable to blackface.

Old 08-30-2019, 09:16 AM

1,159 posts, read 619,809 times
As long as they are friendly and act decent towards my kids, i wouldn't mind. But you know how kids are; they'd probably ask questions like why are you wearing a dress ....

Old 08-30-2019, 11:49 AM

1,495 posts, read 1,671,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Loud View Post
Absolutely not. There is just something mentally disturbing by grown men in dresses mocking women around little kids. A big nope.
That's a good reason not to go to church too.

Old 08-30-2019, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Because the difference here is that blackface was traditionally performed by whites in a position of power.

Sure, drag is not always flattering to women, but it's performed by a traditionally disenfranchised group that is still subject to suppression. Dressing in drag isn't an act of privilege.

This topic hijacks the thread, but it has to be addressed. Drag is not even close to comparable to blackface.
You might need to re-think your comment? Women are the group that has been traditionally disenfranchised and still subject to oppression in certain areas of the world. I'm sure you know that disenfranchised literally means, without the vote (women only got the vote relatively recently in history. My mother couldn't open a credit card or a bank account without my dad or her father's permission and this was the 1970s.)

Men in dresses have always been able to vote and open credit cards and bank accounts. They have so much power they are now in a position where they can act out their sexual fetish* in front of children, and hardly anyone bats an eyelid. I do think this is a case of being so open-minded your brains fall out. Nothing wrong with the fetish but do it among consenting adults. Why involve children?

*That fetish would be auto-gynephilia, which is theorized to be the motivation for cross-dressing among men.

Last edited by Carly1983; 08-30-2019 at 12:12 PM.. Reason: link added

Old 08-30-2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:
You might need to re-think your comment? Women are the group that has been traditionally disenfranchised and still subject to oppression in certain areas of the world. I'm sure you know that disenfranchised literally means, without the vote (women only got the vote relatively recently in history. My mother couldn't open a credit card or a bank account without my dad or her father's permission and this was the 1970s.)

Men in dresses have always been able to vote and open credit cards and bank accounts. They have so much power they are now in a position where they can act out their sexual fetish* in front of children, and hardly anyone bats an eyelid. I do think this is a case of being so open-minded your brains fall out. Nothing wrong with the fetish but do it among consenting adults. Why involve children?
My brains are right where they need to be, thanks.

Bringing blackface into this is nothing more than misapplied noblesse oblige.

Old 08-30-2019, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
My brains are right where they need to be, thanks.

Bringing blackface into this is nothing more than misapplied noblesse oblige.
I think the blackface analogy Mary Cheney came up with is perfect. A privileged group (men) imitating a traditionally oppressed one (women)....no-one can argue that women have historically been more privileged than men or that their representations of women are not stereotypically offensive. On top of that, cross dressing is well known to be motivated by a paraphilia which is quite frankly creepy when you involve children.

If I had children, I would definitely be keeping them away in the same way I wouldn't take my kids to a BDSM convention or a Pride march with people wearing sexually explicit leather costumes.

Old 08-30-2019, 12:52 PM

Quote:
I think the blackface analogy Mary Cheney came up with is perfect. A privileged group (men) imitating a traditionally oppressed one (women)....no-one can argue that women have historically been more privileged than men or that their representations of women are not stereotypically offensive. On top of that, cross dressing is well known to be motivated by a paraphilia which is quite frankly creepy when you involve children.

If I had children, I would definitely be keeping them away in the same way I wouldn't take my kids to a BDSM convention or a Pride march with lots of people wearing sexually explicit leather costumes.
You (and Mary) are showing a real lack of understanding of blackface as a cultural phenomenon. It was FAR more prevalent in mainstream society for decades than drag is. This is derailing this thread.

It's your choice not to take your (hypothetical) kids. I would make the same choice. It doesn't make blackface relevant here.

Old 08-30-2019, 12:53 PM

48,519 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Quote:

If I had children, I would definitely be keeping them away in the same way I wouldn't take my kids to a BDSM convention or a Pride march with people wearing sexually explicit leather costumes.

I think the analogy rings hollow. If men who cross dressed had kept women as slaves historically, THEN it would be offensive.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-30-2019, 12:58 PM

1,495 posts, read 1,671,787 times
Quote:
Nothing wrong with the fetish but do it among consenting adults. Why involve children?

So first you said it was unacceptable (via quote) because it was mockery of women, now you are saying it is okay as long as it is among adults because you think it is something sexual? It's neither of those, it's an artform from when non-straight men could not express themselves openly without getting locked up.

It's essentially performance art, people dressing up and acting. It's a lot better than someone dressing as a giant mouse and feeding them bad pizza to entertain kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting