Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2019, 04:19 PM

13 posts, read 12,125 times

Advertisements

What's it like for a mother to have all daughters and no sons?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2019, 04:21 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,967,503 times
with girls you have to worry about all the boys.

Old 09-29-2019, 01:00 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
I have two girls. We're happy with our family.

My father in law was very unhappy that we stopped having children before having a son. He made a bellowing idiot out of himself about it, when he could have been a happy part of our family, and been included in our daily life. He insisted that I needed to let my husband go so he could marry someone who could "give him sons". My FIL was an old man in poor health. I knew I wouldn't have long to wait for peace and quiet. He disowned my husband but he wasn't good at paperwork or hiring lawyers, and so we still got the money when we got the peace and quiet.

Old 09-29-2019, 04:53 AM

2,146 posts, read 3,062,186 times
There’s a level of concern parents of sons don’t have, an awareness of your daughter’s physical vulnerability you try to instill without making them timid. From the obvious- always park in a well-lit area, always be aware of your surroundings and who is around you, to learning how to stand up for yourself without escalating the situation, etc.

Then there’s the cultural routines that need to change-you don’t always need to be agreeable or nice, having a boyfriend isn’t the end-all of your existence, having a media-approved body size shouldn’t be a goal.

I can’t tell you how often men/boys feel they have the right to say anything to a young woman minding her own business-from stupid comments about how she should smile to vulgar, under their breath comments on their attractiveness.

Not that boys are immune to being on the receiving end of crappy behavior or don’t need to be aware too. A friend’s son was roofied one night and completely lost 5 hours of his night, his wallet, phone, and had a financial mess to untangle. A family member’s son broke up with a girl who proceed to tell everyone he got her pregnant and forced her to get an abortion. The online harassment forced the school to intervene before it finally calmed down.

It can be dangerous out there. It’s a hard balance to strike between teaching self-advocacy/independence and being safe.

My daughters are older, obviously, but you need to start addressing these issues when they’re young so there’s a foundation to build on.

Old 09-29-2019, 05:09 AM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
I have 3 sons and one daughter. I am closer to my daughter’s family than my son’s. It’s not that I don’t have lovely daughters in law, but it is only natural that they are closer to their mothers than me.

The old saying is true, “Your daughter is your daughter for all of your life. Your son is your son til he takes a wife.”

If I had to choose between all girls or all boys, I’d choose girls.

Old 10-05-2019, 09:32 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,353,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
with girls you have to worry about all the boys.
An old friend has a saying..."With a son, you have to worry about ONE p***s. With a daughter, you have to worry about FIFTY p***ses".

I have two daughters, 33 and 27. Neither put us through any "boyfriend" drama...then again they have an overprotective dad and a mom who knows how to do criminal background checks. Oldest has been married for over ten years and has two boys.

DD was happy with two girls. He says it's just as well he didn't have a son, because DH always hated sports.

Old 10-05-2019, 05:16 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
There aren't going to be enough bathrooms and far too much stuff in them.

Old 10-05-2019, 06:12 PM

16,076 posts, read 21,154,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reebo View Post
There’s a level of concern parents of sons don’t have, an awareness of your daughter’s physical vulnerability you try to instill without making them timid. From the obvious- always park in a well-lit area, always be aware of your surroundings and who is around you, to learning how to stand up for yourself without escalating the situation, etc.
Not true, I know I worried as much about those same things for my son as I did for my daughter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I have two girls. We're happy with our family.

My father in law was very unhappy that we stopped having children before having a son. He made a bellowing idiot out of himself about it, when he could have been a happy part of our family, and been included in our daily life. He insisted that I needed to let my husband go so he could marry someone who could "give him sons".
Funny considering it's the dad's sperm that determines if the baby will be a boy or girl. I had a family member that was determined he was going to have a son, he gave up after five daughters, lol.

Old 10-06-2019, 07:32 PM

408 posts, read 259,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybyrd96 View Post
What's it like for a mother to have all daughters and no sons?
I know that you want moms perspective but as a dad, I love my two girls. No boys and that is fine. In fact, I was hoping that the second one would be a girl.

Old 10-07-2019, 11:06 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,181,366 times
It's the best! Though I'd be happy with any combo of two kids.

I've got one who likes things like dresses and baking but doesn't realise she's the farthest thing from graceful as one can be and one that's fascinated with bugs, is tough as nails, skateboards, but seems to be shaping up as a knock-out beauty. She wouldn't touch a dress if you paid her. Her class is attending the Nutcracker in December and everyone is required to dress up. She told me she wants to rent a tux.

Both of my girls play hockey and can (and do) pin their boy cousins in a wrestling match.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting