Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2020, 02:49 PM

1,651 posts, read 1,304,327 times

Advertisements

I see some babies as young as a few months swimming in water. How did they learn to not breath when submerged in water? Is it possible to teach month-old babies to hold breath when underwater?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2020, 03:27 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,128,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
I see some babies as young as a few months swimming in water. How did they learn to not breath when submerged in water? Is it possible to teach month-old babies to hold breath when underwater?
Babies that young are not learning how to hold their breath or swim. They are learning to roll over and float on their backs in case they fall in a pool. Babies a bit older may also learn to kick until they hit the side of a pool.

Old 01-28-2020, 03:32 PM

2,144 posts, read 1,879,306 times
The bradycardic response, it seems. It's a natural reaction to stop breathing when dunked under water. Lots of more scientific explanations about it online.

Old 01-28-2020, 06:27 PM

1,159 posts, read 620,298 times
Actually if u put a newborn in water they float

Old 01-28-2020, 06:37 PM

14,316 posts, read 11,702,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilLisa83 View Post
Actually if you put a newborn in water they float
No, they don't float, if you mean they float in a position with their head above the water so they can continue to breathe. By instinct, newborn babies will hold their breath if submerged. But when they can no longer hold their breath, and exhale, they drown. Just like anyone else.

Quote:
You may have seen videos of very young babies moving under water or heard that newborns have an innate swimming ability due to floating in the womb. These stories and videos are deceptive because a newborn cannot float or hold his head above water.
https://www.hellomotherhood.com/arti...n-babies-swim/

Old 01-29-2020, 11:57 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,781,844 times
Pediatricians advise waiting on swim class until they're a bit older. Nothing wrong with playing with them in the pool, keeping their heads above water. But they don't want their faces in the water, partly because they can swallow a lot of pool water, wind up with seizures from overdilution of their blood sodium levels due to swallowing too much pool water.

Old 01-29-2020, 12:54 PM

735 posts, read 452,724 times
I enrolled my kid in swimming lesson at 18 months old, and the youngest I saw in that class is 12 months old. Even then, one parent had to be holding the baby in the water, not letting them go. It's more to get them comfortable in the water setting than actual swimming. I had my kid in a baby float in a inflatable pool at home at 6 months old so she's enjoyed being in the water. Her actual swimming lessons were when she's 4 years old. I taught her snorkeling in a pool when she's 6. She's finally comfortable snorkeling in the ocean when she's 8 (with me next to her).

Old 01-29-2020, 02:41 PM

3,155 posts, read 2,700,812 times
You can blow in a baby's face to get them to hold their breath, then shoot them underwater like a toypedo. My parents did this to me as a baby and I swim like a fish.

However, it's imposible to tell if a baby has swallowed or inhaled water and a number of babies drowned (mostly "dry drowning" after the fact) due to undetected water in their lungs.

So don't.

Wait until your kids are old enough to communicate that they swallowed or inhaled water before letting them submerge.

Old 01-30-2020, 12:45 PM

1,651 posts, read 1,304,327 times
This is what I am talking about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYfIkvEYQn4

Some bigger babies seem old enough that you can communicate what to do, but there are some, like the first 6 or 7, that look like less than 1 year old. What if they accidentally take a breath underwater and suck in water at the first try?

Old 01-30-2020, 01:09 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,746,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
Pediatricians advise waiting on swim class until they're a bit older. Nothing wrong with playing with them in the pool, keeping their heads above water. But they don't want their faces in the water, partly because they can swallow a lot of pool water, wind up with seizures from overdilution of their blood sodium levels due to swallowing too much pool water.

I also think part of swim lessons is to introduce kids to the water in a non scary way. There is a baby swim class at the pool we go to and we call it the baby torture class because almost all of the babies scream and cry as they are held by the instructor on their back, getting water in their eyes, nose and mouth. It seems like a bad idea to me for many reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting