Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2020, 04:26 AM

3,166 posts, read 3,360,802 times

Advertisements

I’ve seen many having car parades done for them Others still have small gatherings with family and friends celebrating their birthday not caring about social distancing and the stay at home order. I’ve noticed some dropping off birthday packages on porches. These are some of the creative ideas I’ve seen on FB or seen people doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2020, 10:02 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,962,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
I’ve seen many having car parades done for them Others still have small gatherings with family and friends celebrating their birthday not caring about social distancing and the stay at home order. I’ve noticed some dropping off birthday packages on porches. These are some of the creative ideas I’ve seen on FB or seen people doing.

My daughter's birthday is Wednesday and I'm not sure what we will do. We might wait until the weekend to do something as we should go into Phase 2 on Friday at 5 pm. We will try to do something outside as long as the weather cooperates.

Old 05-18-2020, 10:06 AM

3,155 posts, read 2,702,162 times
We just cancelled out Twins birthday party early in the pandemic. It was scheduled for the day after they closed the schools. We went to an indoor playland instead and spent the whole day there. They loved it. There were maybe 2 other children in the place the entire day, they could do whatever they wanted. This was a day or two before all businesses were ordered to shut down.

One of their friends had a drive-by birthday greeting. It seemed to go okay. The cars lined up, the mom handed out birthday favors and collected gifts. Then we all drove past the kid and waved. It was very short.

We would not attend any party to which we were invited, presently.

Old 05-18-2020, 10:24 AM

15,799 posts, read 20,513,219 times
Car parade for my 7-year old stepson. He loved it and proclaimed it the best bday ever.

We've attended many car parades since march...some people we don't even know.

Old 05-18-2020, 06:39 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,549,657 times
My sons 6th bday is this weekend. We just moved about 40 min away from his classmates so I’m not sure on the parade thing. We are getting a cake and he is getting a lizard that he’s been dying for. I’ve seen some people even asking the police and fire depts to drive by for their kids bday parade. My daughter’s bday was at the end of March right when all this started and we didn’t do a parade for her. Seems kind of unfair to do one for her brother. Lol. Agh corona

Old 05-18-2020, 07:21 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
I don't find that creative. I find it, well, stupid.

Old 05-18-2020, 07:35 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,549,657 times
For my daughters bday at the end of March it was just our immediate family, me, DH, her brother. For my sons bday I will likely include my parents. I live in MA and our state has opened up a bit today. Next weekend salons will be open.

Old 05-18-2020, 07:59 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
My sons 6th bday is this weekend. We just moved about 40 min away from his classmates so I’m not sure on the parade thing. We are getting a cake and he is getting a lizard that he’s been dying for. I’ve seen some people even asking the police and fire depts to drive by for their kids bday parade. My daughter’s bday was at the end of March right when all this started and we didn’t do a parade for her. Seems kind of unfair to do one for her brother. Lol. Agh corona
I wouldn't worry so much about "fairness" in this case. My experience is that it all comes out pretty even.

Old 05-18-2020, 08:12 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:

Asking the police or fire dept? No wonder Americans come off like a joke to other countries, oh the entitlement....LOL.

Those parades should be for critically ill childern, only, not due to this. I can't even imagine someone having the gall to call up request this for a birthday party.

A cake, a lizard, and the family is more than enough.

I think this whole situation if anything positive can come out this is people looking at their priorities, what
s important in life.

Old 05-18-2020, 08:42 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Asking the police or fire dept? No wonder Americans come off like a joke to other countries, oh the entitlement....LOL.

Those parades should be for critically ill childern, only, not due to this. I can't even imagine someone having the gall to call up request this for a birthday party.

A cake, a lizard, and the family is more than enough.

I think this whole situation if anything positive can come out this is people looking at their priorities, what
s important in life.
I lived and taught in the suburb of a large city for over 30 years. We had six elementary schools (4K to 5th grade) each with about 500 students, plus at least six private schools with (I'm guessing) an average of about 150 students K4 to 5th graders in my suburb. That is 3,900 children who are "prime" birthday party age. We have been under safer at home policy for nine weeks. So, during that time over 600 children in my community had a birthday. Can you imagine the chaos if all of their parents called the police and/or fire department to ask them to participate in a birthday parade for their child or loved one?

Just think about that during the self-quarantine so far over 600 elementary age children in my community had a birthday. And, that is not even counting older children with special needs who may have wanted a birthday party/parade or preschool children or senior citizens celebrating milestone birthdays like 80 or 90 or 100 years old or children/young adults with cancer or other serious illnesses.

Last edited by germaine2626; 05-18-2020 at 08:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting