Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 06:14 PM

2,839 posts, read 10,006,079 times

Advertisements

If your son had a reaction from shots, was it documented at all? You may be able to get a medical exemption.

If not, you can seek a philosophical or religious exemption if you live in any state other than West Virginia or Mississippi. If you live in one of those two states, you may have no choice but to vaccinate if you cannot get a medical exemption and if you want to send him to daycare.

If you do want to do the vaccines, then yes, you can get them done here. Since he had a reaction in the past, I'd highly recommend spacing them out and finding a practitioner who takes your concerns seriously. A good book to read on the subject is Stephanie Cave's "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Children's Vaccinations."

Good luck! And welcome to the US of A!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 07:28 PM

2,908 posts, read 3,887,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
That is to bad that they reacted poorly to their immunizations and now hvae issues, but i see no reason to freak out and make blanket statements about vaccines.
This is no different than if you are allergic to peanuts your child would get sick. But the child is the variable. Not the vaccine.
Not all children who were vaccinated that very day with the same batch of vaccine reacted that way which means it is the child and perhaps that childs environmental and genetic factors that react to the vaccine.

The facts are there are no studies that vaccines caused autism and the one case that went to court turns out the girl had something else wrong with her first which made her weaker than your average child(the variable).

I understand not vaxxing your child because of other reasons- Religion-although you really shouldn't lie and say your religion is against it when it is not, that lets your child know you lie to get what you want and someday you will have to explain to them about this because all kids are nosey about their past.
If you have just a general aversion to getting vacciness for your kids than say it. But to say it is austism when there are no studies linking it is irresponsible as a parent. Sort of like a boogeyman of sorts.

You can say out of fear you don't want vaccines, that is a perfectly good excuse.
You could also say that it has to much "stuff" in it and it makes you uncomfortable to put that in your kid. That seems reasonable enough.

As much as I love Jenny McCarthy and I've met Jim Carrey a few times and yet they are not DOCTORS and they have no degrees on this subject. Her resume is stripping for playboy and eMpTyVee and his resume is making us laugh. I will trust people who went to college for 10 yrs to specifically study the human body over 2 actors thanks.

Do you know what they call the people who finish at the bottom of their second rate medical school?

DOCTOR!!!!

Old 04-20-2009, 08:37 PM

153 posts, read 691,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnico23 View Post
Good afternoon,my name is Nicole and i have a 5 yrs old son,we just came in u.s and he only have 4 shots,because when he did in romania he was sick from that,and i stopped taking him for shots,because i was afraid,what can i do now?Can he get the shot's here?It's not to late??I want to put him in daycare,does he needs all shots? Thank you verry much for your time. Nicole
I've linked to the CDC recommended immunization catch-up schedule. Even at age 5, your son can get his vaccines, though the number of shots and the spacing is somewhat different than with infants. And yes, schools and daycares have vaccine requirements, though exemptions may be available.

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/recs/schedules/downloads/child/2008/08_catch-up_schedule_pr.pdf (broken link)

Old 04-21-2009, 08:03 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,392,478 times
Default Vaccines affect children differently

I have two children. They received their vaccines on the regular schedule used by most pediatricians and never had any adverse reactions.

My sister's son had horrible reactions after his first and second round of vaccines (crying uncontrollably, fever, etc.). After that she asked if the pediatrician could spread out his shots over a longer length of time, even if that meant extra office visits. He agreed to administer the vaccines one at a time with the exception of certain vaccines that contain more than one antibody. Her son never had a bad reaction again. He is now two and up to date with his vaccines.

Maybe your doctor would agree to a similar plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting