Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2020, 09:06 AM
Status: "It's WARY, or LEERY (weary means tired)" (set 4 days ago)

16,098 posts, read 21,222,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
The baby wasn't just thrown in the pool. They were doing swimming lessons. My grandson took lessons last year, lots of moms with babies/kids in the mommy and me class.
But did they have to 'throw' the baby, literally? What's wrong with just walking into the water carrying the child and lowering it into the water? Are the elements of surprise, confusion and terror supposed to be beneficial?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2020, 09:22 AM

23,901 posts, read 33,675,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
But did they have to 'throw' the baby, literally? What's wrong with just walking into the water carrying the child and lowering it into the water? Are the elements of surprise, confusion and terror supposed to be beneficial?
I've never seen a baby thrown in where my son went. When they're able to stand on their own, they actually jump in themselves. I'm talking barely toddlers that are standing and not walking. The kids and babies seem to love it

Old 07-19-2020, 02:29 PM

388 posts, read 537,087 times
Baby swimming classes are widely available in Florida, given how many pools, lakes, canals, etc are all over the place.

One thing I will say is some people are taking the video somewhat out of context.

Infant classes are several weeks long and are structured to progress SLOWLY to allow the baby to learn. So it's not like "Hey this is lesson #1... Toss your baby in!"

After starting off from just teaching the baby to roll over and face up/float, you go through paddling, and then also falling in from progressively higher distances.

It usually starts with just a thin level pool float you slowly turn so the baby slides into the water, and progress up to the edge of the pool, and possibly higher.

The reason for this is to have the baby experience falling in to a pool or canal, which may have even higher ledges, and be able to react to that situation. Remember, this is a class for survival, so you have to try to simulate close to what the baby may experience

Last edited by TampaBull13; 07-19-2020 at 03:12 PM..

Old 07-19-2020, 03:47 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,117,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reebo View Post
An 8 month old should not be in “swimming lessons.” So irresponsible.
I was born in a water-locked town on the north coast where it was essential and mandatory that every resident in the town must know how to swim and be aware of water survival tactics.

All babies were required to start water indoctrination and swimming lessons at 6 months of age and the lessons and water practise continued regularly scheduled once a week until students graduated from highschool. There was nothing irresponsible about it.

Old 07-19-2020, 05:56 PM

6,355 posts, read 4,947,347 times
Babies spend 9 months immersed in water. This is nothing new to them.

Old 07-19-2020, 06:24 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,396,257 times
My kids all swam before they were 3. They actually learned to swim well in the middle of the Rochester NY winter. One was just out of diapers and the other 18 months older. It went very well. We hit a local municipal pool in the evenings in the height of winter. No one else was there. And the nice lady who oversaw the ladies locker room would take care of getting the young ones into their swimming attire and back into their Rochester snow suits. And all the staff jumped in. But the time that winter was over both would crawl out of the pool, make their way to the diving board and jump back in...and they could smoothly make their way to a ladder or the shallow end of the pool. That was a bit of a fake out though. neither could stand out of the water in the shallowest part of the pool.

My biggest problem was my wife. A middle aged female who grew up on the Canadian planes and could not swim a stroke. Hired a lovely lady who made her living swimming. We got her water safe in the first summer. We were boaters and I was not willing to take her to Catalina until she could at least survive in the water. I finally believed she was ready when we hit the underwater park in the Florida Keys...I put a shorty wet suit on her but she successfully supervised my snorkling for an hour before we went back to the boat.

You need to be water safe at every age...

Old 07-19-2020, 07:12 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,968,119 times
The baby came back up and rotated onto its back to begin floating. Their training seems to be working.

Old 07-19-2020, 08:20 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,227,906 times
What year is this? 1995? Some of you don't get out much or.... just stay home and Watch Fox and Friends... or likely both?

https://www.infantswim.com/ Is the leading/ ONLY child swim self rescuing technique with certified teachers around the country. We've lived in 4 states as parents and ISR was offered in our area in each one. Read up.

Old 07-19-2020, 09:26 PM

3 posts, read 817 times
Yes Geneyus..

Most babies are naturally aware of how to turn over and float so they dont drown..... Its natures way of helping them

Nothing really wrong with what is in the video......

Old 07-19-2020, 09:40 PM

88,749 posts, read 85,121,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
C'mon, you didn't watch that vid and think what fun it would be to toss a baby in the water like that and see what happens?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting