Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2020, 05:41 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,141,936 times

Advertisements

So my daughter is 9 and has an iPad. She has iMessage just for contacting her friends and my parents. Tonight she was getting calls from who she thought was her friend because it popped up like her friend. It seemed off so she didn't answer then someone was sending lewd videos. She let me know so I instructed her to block the number and let her friend know to tell her parents.

My daughters mom freaked out when she heard and said that I should have called the parents (who I don't know) and discuss it since someone has our kids info through iMessage as well as file a police report.

To me, there isn't much the police are going to do so I don't feel the police report is necessary. What does everyone feel is the best solution to this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2020, 08:50 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,336,894 times
I agree with your daughter's mother-you should have called the other parents rather than trusting one 9 year old to tell another 9 year old to tell her parents. It doesn't matter if you don't know them.

I would also file a police report. Although nothing may happen by doing so, the police can look for trends of this happening in your area and make the community aware.

I wouldn't worry too much that someone has your child's Imessage info. It's likely some sort of spam sent to random numbers/accounts. If her name is in the message that's when you need to worry.

Old 10-30-2020, 05:26 AM

1,860 posts, read 1,244,829 times
When things are that are hacked, which is fairly sophisitcated, especially as it targets children, you are supposed to notify the police so they can track it and warn the companies such as apple that their software is being hacked to protect children if its a widespread issue.

Also agree you should have called the other parents.

Old 10-30-2020, 07:31 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,688,561 times
Imessage should be blocked, the only way to enable it on the ipad is when it is paired with an iphone. So disable the imessage connection to the ipad.

Should use a better chat app such as whatsapp which is easier to manage. I think any preteens should not have the ability to use imessage or SMS chat. It is dangerous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting