Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2020, 08:41 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,645,470 times

Advertisements

It will be interesting to read this thread in say six months to see what happened.

Thankfully, I don't have to worry about this problem - I would probably quit my job and go on welfare before I put my kids at risk in a school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2020, 08:53 PM

13,705 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Ah, say what?

The latest data I've seen indicates that kids of that age are veritable 'germ factories' (like we haven't already seen that?) with [when infected with CoViD] a 3x higher viral load and 3x higher transmission rate despite showing no, few, or mild symptoms (in many cases).

Lately, I have read too many accounts of children being left orphaned when the virus is brought into the home.

I don't have kids, but if I did they would absolutely *not* be going to a school...not for at least the next two years (absent an effective vaccine). No level of risk is acceptable, if it can be avoided.
Those who are afraid to live, are already dead.

Old 08-05-2020, 09:13 PM

1,462 posts, read 971,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
My kids go to high school and middle school. I want them to stay home, but I don't want them to be the only few that stay home, so want to get a sense of how other parents feel.

I think I would only go back to normal life when the confirmed case increase rate goes down to maybe 0.05%
Fair enough and understandable. In our school district there was a survey sent to parents asking what they would like for their children. Approximately 70% of parents that responded wanted their children back in school 5 days a week. Now we have no choice based on the governor's decision that all schools will start the year remotely. My spouse does not want our son to attend school in person so he will most likely attend remotely even after students can attend in person.

Old 08-05-2020, 10:20 PM

1,651 posts, read 1,300,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teqp View Post
Fair enough and understandable. In our school district there was a survey sent to parents asking what they would like for their children. Approximately 70% of parents that responded wanted their children back in school 5 days a week. Now we have no choice based on the governor's decision that all schools will start the year remotely. My spouse does not want our son to attend school in person so he will most likely attend remotely even after students can attend in person.
Maybe I am extra risk-adverse, but I just think it's more important to stay alive. Wasting one year's time is bad but not worth risking life for.

If kids bring the virus home the adults are more at risk of death; but the kids has high chance of suffer permanent damage from what I read.

Old 08-06-2020, 02:29 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,287,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
You are not concerned, that one of them will come back with Covid-19, and then everyone will get it?

That has been the pattern in our family in years past with seasonal flu.

I really don't want to have to deal with Covid-19.

It might put your mind at ease to read what other countries have concluded about this.

Old 08-06-2020, 07:17 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
College kid has chosen to just finish up on line, while living at home. Only 3 courses left, anyway.

High school kid will attend if held (kid's choice), but will live separately from us in an auxiliary unit on our property, and own car.
That's the problem, who wants to pay $70k to go to remote learning. Why not just get remote learning from some no name place for $7k. The college scam doesn't work for remote learning because most people want to go to a school setting. Many college kids will just be goofing off and be on twitter all day while remote learning.

Old 08-06-2020, 07:43 AM

3,262 posts, read 4,997,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
It will be interesting to read this thread in say six months to see what happened.

Thankfully, I don't have to worry about this problem - I would probably quit my job and go on welfare before I put my kids at risk in a school.
This is an option that doesn't exist. You can't "go on welfare" if you quit your job. You can't qualify for unemployment if you quit your job. Many working parents simply have no choice other than to send their kids to in-person schools.

Old 08-06-2020, 10:01 AM

644 posts, read 306,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
You can't "go on welfare" if you quit your job.
What if you get fired because you can no longer do your job, thanks to not having child care? Probably looking at that within the next couple of months... I can't keep putting in 2-4 hours a day when I need 6-7 hours, no one wants to assign me any work because they assume I can't handle anything time sensitive, and the vacation hours I'm using to bridge the gap will soon be used up.

Old 08-06-2020, 10:24 AM

1,860 posts, read 1,244,354 times
Just had our reopening plan zoom meeting for the 1st grader.

-Sent home if a temp over 99.5, they will take temps everyday (thats a lot of missed days, kids wake up with inexplicable fevers all the time)
-Health questionnaire everyday and any symptoms they will be sent home (ever seen kids without a runny nose??)
-Must be fever free for 24 hours with documentation to return to school. Which is 2 school days out if they are sent home in the morning
-Masks all day
-Plexiglass enclosures around their desks
-No recess
-Lunch in their desks
-No cooperative projects
-No sharing supplies or snacks
-No physical interaction

All the fun stuff is gone and all the boring stuff is left.

Old 08-06-2020, 10:38 AM

841 posts, read 552,712 times
I don't have kids, but we have a local thread about this. Our district started back this week. Overwhelmingly positive reactions from the students even with all the new protocols in place. 1200 in the district, 1030 going to school, 170 doing online.

Our university has also already returned to 100% staffing on campus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting