Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2020, 11:16 PM

318 posts, read 176,829 times

Advertisements

My sister-in-law (brother's wife) texted me today to say she didn't want to babysit my kids anymore. She said it wasn't because of them. It was just that she decided she just only wanted to have her own kids at home with her and that all the Covid19 stuff has been stressing her out and causing her anxiety. She's been babysitting my kids for over almost two years now and is a stay-at-home mom. I get it that she doesn't want to but all day I have been inwardly panicking and on the verge of crying.

I am a single mom who works shift work. Sometimes I am on day shifts and sometimes on evening shifts. During the school year I try to trade away a lot of the evening shifts for day shifts so I can take my kids to their various activities. My schedule is all over the map though so getting a regular daycare slot does not work well for me because the hours of childcare I need (645am to 330pm) don't fit in to a regular daycare's hours (which start here typically 730am or 8am) plus a fulltime spot, costing about $175 a week per kid, is too costly, especially because I also have to often pay babysitters to watch my kids evenings and weekends when I work and my mom can't watch them (my mom can't babysit during weekdays cause she works.

I am comfortable with my older two kids (ages 11 and 9) staying home alone but my youngest, age 4, can't, especially when the older two are in school. My youngest is also supposed to be in preschool which has been canceled for the fall due to Covid19 restrictions. Finding childcare, when I had to prior to my sister-in-law volunteering (I do pay her), was always stressful and my kids had a lot of different babysitters. I talked to a few people tonight but one wants $50 a day and one lady, who initially agreed to have my youngest in her home daycare, backed out as soon as I said I worked in healthcare because she's afraid I'll bring the virus to her. I am really worried I will not be able to find childcare andcI won't be able to work at my job. This pandemic is creating a lot of roadblocks for me trying to procure childcare.

Last edited by PassionateNortherner; 08-25-2020 at 12:40 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2020, 06:25 AM

1,860 posts, read 1,246,096 times
I think youre just venting since you didnt ask a question but...

What do you do in healthcare? I know your hours are sort of weird and the only option is a 24/hour child care in home provider. So if it were me, I would be looking for a new job. There are a lot of jobs in healthcare, while its more dangerous during covid its one of the industries that doesnt stop.

On your list for looking for a job is 1)consistent hours 2) better pay or childcare assistance 3) on site childcare.

I am not saying its going to be easy but you will have to come up with a plan to help yourself here. In the meantime, talk to your employer and explain the situation. Everyone is dealing with "new normal" issues and they may be more receptive than you think. Also call every single daycare, even the corporate franchise ones. In my area there are 1 or 2 that have 630 am to 630 pm hours.

Old 08-25-2020, 10:40 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,106,671 times
I feel this, childcare is so tough especially in COVID times. Could you look on care.com and maybe find a nanny or someone to come to your home to watch your kids?

Old 08-25-2020, 11:56 AM

7,974 posts, read 7,349,728 times
I'm going to get crucified for asking this, but where is/are their father/s? Do you get any kind of court ordered support from him/them?

Old 08-25-2020, 12:19 PM

1,860 posts, read 1,246,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
I feel this, childcare is so tough especially in COVID times. Could you look on care.com and maybe find a nanny or someone to come to your home to watch your kids?
Unlikely as OP said she cant afford $50. No nanny will work for less than that

Old 08-25-2020, 12:38 PM

3,153 posts, read 2,698,539 times
It's ridiculous that the majority of the burden of this pandemic is falling squarely on the shoulders of those least affected by the disease (children and working mothers).

Sounds like you need to explore your FMLA options.

"Up to an additional 10 weeks of paid expanded family and medical leave at two-thirds the employee’s regular rate of pay where an employee, who has been employed for at least 30 calendar days, is unable to work due to a bona fide need for leave to care for a child whose school or child care provider is closed or unavailable for reasons related to COVID-19."

https://www.dol.gov/agencies/whd/pan...yee-paid-leave

Sounds like you want to work and are willing to put your child in daycare to do so, but it may be time to face reality and go on the dole, if you're eligible. Pretty ironic that the program is administered by the Department Of Labor (DOL).

Good luck!

Old 08-25-2020, 12:55 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,022,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassionateNortherner View Post
My sister-in-law (brother's wife) texted me today to say she didn't want to babysit my kids anymore. She said it wasn't because of them. It was just that she decided she just only wanted to have her own kids at home with her and that all the Covid19 stuff has been stressing her out and causing her anxiety. She's been babysitting my kids for over almost two years now and is a stay-at-home mom. I get it that she doesn't want to but all day I have been inwardly panicking and on the verge of crying.

I am a single mom who works shift work. Sometimes I am on day shifts and sometimes on evening shifts. During the school year I try to trade away a lot of the evening shifts for day shifts so I can take my kids to their various activities. My schedule is all over the map though so getting a regular daycare slot does not work well for me because the hours of childcare I need (645am to 330pm) don't fit in to a regular daycare's hours (which start here typically 730am or 8am) plus a fulltime spot, costing about $175 a week per kid, is too costly, especially because I also have to often pay babysitters to watch my kids evenings and weekends when I work and my mom can't watch them (my mom can't babysit during weekdays cause she works.

I am comfortable with my older two kids (ages 11 and 9) staying home alone but my youngest, age 4, can't, especially when the older two are in school. My youngest is also supposed to be in preschool which has been canceled for the fall due to Covid19 restrictions. Finding childcare, when I had to prior to my sister-in-law volunteering (I do pay her), was always stressful and my kids had a lot of different babysitters. I talked to a few people tonight but one wants $50 a day and one lady, who initially agreed to have my youngest in her home daycare, backed out as soon as I said I worked in healthcare because she's afraid I'll bring the virus to her. I am really worried I will not be able to find childcare andcI won't be able to work at my job. This pandemic is creating a lot of roadblocks for me trying to procure childcare.
Maybe you could consider a nanny type arrangement. Get a room mate specifically there to watch your children. Maybe someone like a student. Maybe you could work something out like babysitter gets room and board in exchange for child watching services.

Old 08-25-2020, 12:57 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,022,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
Unlikely as OP said she cant afford $50. No nanny will work for less than that

Do nanny's really charge $50 an hour? That seems extreme.

Old 08-25-2020, 01:10 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,145,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Do nanny's really charge $50 an hour? That seems extreme.
She meant $50 a day.

Old 08-26-2020, 01:44 AM

318 posts, read 176,829 times
I am in Canada so I'm not eligible for that program. Daycare is a major problem here. There are no corporate daycares. Just the occasional childcare centres and a lot of in-home daycares. No such thing as onsite daycares around here. And many of the childcare centers are only doing half-capacity due to Covid.

I'm a nursing assistant and unfortunately to get a job with regular set hours is not possible until you gain at least 20 years seniority. The pay is good though as I make $23 an hour which outside of healthcare is rare around here unless I was to get a job at the mine (also shift work) or for the railroad (which has erratic hours too).

My childrens' dad is unemployed (possibly working under the table) and living with his girlfriend in another province. I am enrolled with Maintenance Enforcement (the government agency which gets child support payments from parents who neglect to pay court-ordered child support) but so far nothing has come to me.

I have thought about getting another job for years but there is nothing worthwhile (that pays enough) with decent hours for organizing childcare so new employment is not really an option. I really don't want to go on indefinite leave from my job and go on welfare either. I do know though that I am definitely not alone. I work with a lot of healthcare workers who are struggling to find childcare options. Some have even went on indefinite leave but the women I know who did that had husbands who could pick up the slack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting