Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2020, 06:26 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,568,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
My forecast: 2020 is already normal. For decades to come, the Virus will be floating around the world, and of those who get a vaccine (which, of course, is still hypothetical), some still will get sick anyway, and some will die. Many won't get the vaccine, some of whom will get sick and some of whom will die.

We will be urged to wear masks for decades to come. Thank-you, China. Thanks a lot.
My sister is a nurse and says we are never going back to normal. She's prone to exaggeration so never might mean decades, but anyway yeah, masks and the way we do business and everything. She didn't say because we won't have effective vaccine for a very long time if ever, but that is what I think. I do not have faith in an effective vaccine for this virus anytime soon.

Old 10-04-2020, 06:37 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,877,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
My sister is a nurse and says we are never going back to normal. She's prone to exaggeration so never might mean decades, but anyway yeah, masks and the way we do business and everything. She didn't say because we won't have effective vaccine for a very long time if ever, but that is what I think. I do not have faith in an effective vaccine for this virus anytime soon.
Your sister is mistaken. Who does "we" refer to, anyway? Florida just eliminated all gathering limits, mask rules, and social distancing requirements. Indiana eliminated the gathering limits. South Dakota never had any of these, although some of its cities did. Your sister's statement applies only to blue states.

Old 10-04-2020, 06:45 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,568,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Your sister is mistaken. Who does "we" refer to, anyway? Florida just eliminated all gathering limits, mask rules, and social distancing requirements. Indiana eliminated the gathering limits. South Dakota never had any of these, although some of its cities did. Your sister's statement applies only to blue states.
Well we are in Texas and restaurants still have a capacity limit. Perhaps it went to 75%, but it's not full capacity. And bars might still be closed.

We still have to wear masks and other things.

Old 10-04-2020, 06:58 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
From the Boulder, Colorado Daily Camera:
https://www.dailycamera.com/2020/10/...ole-halloween/

Old 10-04-2020, 07:04 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
Quote:
I live in a red state. Masks are mandatory almost everywhere, kids still aren't in school full time, and limits are in place for restaurants, bars, and social gatherings.

I'm sitting back and waiting to see the consequences sure to follow in FL, which still has a higher rate of infection than my state does.

Old 10-04-2020, 07:15 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,962,533 times
Quote:
Indiana's numbers are increasing too. I also see that they are starting to worry about the hospitals and capacity in my hometown.

Old 10-04-2020, 08:24 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,877,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
Indiana's numbers are increasing too. I also see that they are starting to worry about the hospitals and capacity in my hometown.
Meh. I used to drive to Indiana to get my haircuts. I'm still healthy as a horse. I'll believe this when I see it on the news, and not the one starting with a C, ending with an N, and an N in the middle. I don't trust that source; they're biased as hell.

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 10-04-2020 at 08:35 PM..

Old 10-05-2020, 04:57 AM

1,860 posts, read 1,247,757 times
Remember all the way back in March (Or April) and they went all over the news with their "2 Weeks to Slow the Spread" and 30 day plan to slow down the spread? Because I remember.

Remember when they sent our kids home on Spring Break and they never went back to school despite being assured they only wanted to not overwhelm the hospitals?

Remember when I made a thread back then talking about how upset I and other parents were that our kids were missing all the things about the end of year that are so important like prom, graduation, saying goodbye to their kindergarten friends etc etc and everyone jumped on me to be grateful my kid is alive and its only a few months? I do.
//www.city-data.com/forum/paren...hool-year.html

I remember all these things. I remember that weve been lied to and mislead for months.

First it was slow the spread, dont overwhelm the hospital and it has morphed into we cant leave our houses until there is a vaccine. 99% of the country slowed the spread and did not overwhelm the hospitals and followed the rules. So why do the goalposts keep moving????

Old 10-05-2020, 06:08 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,750,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
Remember all the way back in March (Or April) and they went all over the news with their "2 Weeks to Slow the Spread" and 30 day plan to slow down the spread? Because I remember.

Remember when they sent our kids home on Spring Break and they never went back to school despite being assured they only wanted to not overwhelm the hospitals?

Remember when I made a thread back then talking about how upset I and other parents were that our kids were missing all the things about the end of year that are so important like prom, graduation, saying goodbye to their kindergarten friends etc etc and everyone jumped on me to be grateful my kid is alive and its only a few months? I do.
//www.city-data.com/forum/paren...hool-year.html

I remember all these things. I remember that weve been lied to and mislead for months.

First it was slow the spread, dont overwhelm the hospital and it has morphed into we cant leave our houses until there is a vaccine. 99% of the country slowed the spread and did not overwhelm the hospitals and followed the rules. So why do the goalposts keep moving????
I totally agree. What we are doing is not smart. We are causing harm to people by continuing down this road and in my view, kids and teens are being harmed a lot by all of this.

Old 10-05-2020, 06:27 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,962,533 times
Quote:
Meh. I used to drive to Indiana to get my haircuts. I'm still healthy as a horse. I'll believe this when I see it on the news, and not the one starting with a C, ending with an N, and an N in the middle. I don't trust that source; they're biased as hell.
I don't watch the above news outlet. I have friends that work at the hospital in my hometown. I've seen their posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting