Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2021, 11:10 PM

4 posts, read 19,245 times

Advertisements

I’m not sure if you have any suggestions or not but if anything I need to vent. My 8 year old wets his bed. He is a super deep sleeper, has been seen by doctor, every thing is normal he just can’t wake up to go. Ok no problem. Lots of kids his age still wet the bed. He wears pull-ups, Goodnites, to bed and they usually work ok. The problem i have are....

He leaves his dirty pull-ups laying on the floor where ever he takes them off in the morning. Sometimes that’s in his room, the bathroom, or living room. I have reminded him time and again to PUT THEM IN THE TRASH. But he never does. I never punish for the bedwetting but I do punish for leaving his dirty diaper laying on the floor but it does no good.

The other issue is he will wet his pull-up when awake. Just before he gets in bed he pees in the toilet then puts on his pull-up and gets in bed. He is allowed to read for a few minutes before lights out and there have been times he will go in his pull-up before lights out. When I ask him why he says he doesn’t know. He will also go in it in the morning after waking up. I know this because his bed will be dry but then I will find a wet spot on the floor or his blanket will be wet where he was wrapped up watching tv in the morning. He is supposed to take off his pull-up as soon as he gets up and go pee in the toilet but instead he will continue wearing it and go watch tv in the living room and he goes in his already soaked diaper. This is on the weekend when he gets up early and my husband and I sleep in a little.

He is 8 year old for crying out loud. I would think he would want out of his wet pull-up ASAP. And being 8 I would think he would not want to be seen in it. But he doesn’t care about others seeing him. His older and younger brother don’t wear pull-ups anymore but he just parades around in his droopy soaked sagging pull-up like it’s no big deal.

I don’t know if I should be glad he’s not embarrassed or upset he doesn’t care at all. Reading thru old posts I know many other people on here have kids who wet the bed and wear pull-ups. Do any of your kids do any of these things. It’s driving be batty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2021, 04:23 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,330,509 times
My advice is probably not going to be popular, but just the fact that he's going in his pull-ups before he goes to sleep tells me this is not the normal type of nighttime bed wetting. I'd not allow him to use the pull-ups any longer and let him pee on himself. Get a quality waterproof cover for his mattress and then get several sheet sets. I'd let him sleep in pee until he has had enough of it just as you have.

This method is going to be a little work, but he needs to be uncomfortable and those pull-ups and enabling his behavior.

Old 03-27-2021, 04:32 AM

7,354 posts, read 3,525,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
My advice is probably not going to be popular, but just the fact that he's going in his pull-ups before he goes to sleep tells me this is not the normal type of nighttime bed wetting. I'd not allow him to use the pull-ups any longer and let him pee on himself. Get a quality waterproof cover for his mattress and then get several sheet sets. I'd let him sleep in pee until he has had enough of it just as you have.

This method is going to be a little work, but he needs to be uncomfortable and those pull-ups and enabling his behavior.
Agree. I potty trained my youngest by getting rid of diapers completely. Felt too uncomfortable, used toilet almost immediately.

Old 03-27-2021, 04:52 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,315,042 times
Try using a bed wetting alarm: Chummie PRO Bedside Bedwetting Alarm

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Chummie-P...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

This works well for most kids.

Old 03-27-2021, 05:19 AM

Quote:

I should have added that I have tried talking away the pull-ups. Didn’t phase him in the least. He would still sleep right thru the night. I had him strip his bedding and put it in the utility room. I tried that for 2 months. At the same time we were using Therapee alarm. After 2 months of washing he went back to pull-ups.

Old 03-27-2021, 09:27 PM

16,554 posts, read 10,621,516 times
Have you tried getting him up a few hours after he goes to bed and use the toilet then? That might help keep the bladder drained enough that when he does pee later on, it won't fill up the pull-up.

My son had to wear pull ups until he was almost 10. And then, his body finally kicked into gear and he could hold it through the night. Keep telling yourself that this too shall pass. Because it will.

Old 03-27-2021, 09:54 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,145,293 times
You said that he just drops his wet pullup where ever he takes it off. How is he about putting other things away or in the designated place? Does he just throw used tissues on the floor? Does he just throw apple cores or other food scraps on the floor or leave them all over the room? What about his wet snowy boots, does he take them off by door and put them on the matt or just walk all through the house and just leave them anywhere on the carpet? Other things?

They did not have pull-ups when my children were young, so my kids went right from diapers to regular underwear. Now, my grandchildren were taught that pull-up were only changed in the bathroom. They got in the habit of using the toilet as soon as they got out of bed, throwing the pull-up into the bathroom wastebasket. If they missed the wastebasket, at least the wet pullup was on a tile floor and not the carpet or bed or sofa. The parents always put the next days underwear in the bathroom, so their kids could put them on themselves. Although, they would sometimes just pull up their pajama bottoms sans underwear. And, put on underwear when they got dressed for the day.

Old 03-28-2021, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Have you tried getting him up a few hours after he goes to bed and use the toilet then? That might help keep the bladder drained enough that when he does pee later on, it won't fill up the pull-up.

My son had to wear pull ups until he was almost 10. And then, his body finally kicked into gear and he could hold it through the night. Keep telling yourself that this too shall pass. Because it will.

Yes we used to do that, but it’s been a while. I used to get him up when I would go to bed, usually a couple hours after he went to bed. He never really woke up for this though. I would pretty much have to do everything for him. If his pull-up was already wet I wouput a new one on him. Didn’t seem to help much.

Old 03-28-2021, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
You said that he just drops his wet pullup where ever he takes it off. How is he about putting other things away or in the designated place? Does he just throw used tissues on the floor? Does he just throw apple cores or other food scraps on the floor or leave them all over the room? What about his wet snowy boots, does he take them off by door and put them on the matt or just walk all through the house and just leave them anywhere on the carpet? Other things?

They did not have pull-ups when my children were young, so my kids went right from diapers to regular underwear. Now, my grandchildren were taught that pull-up were only changed in the bathroom. They got in the habit of using the toilet as soon as they got out of bed, throwing the pull-up into the bathroom wastebasket. If they missed the wastebasket, at least the wet pullup was on a tile floor and not the carpet or bed or sofa. The parents always put the next days underwear in the bathroom, so their kids could put them on themselves. Although, they would sometimes just pull up their pajama bottoms sans underwear. And, put on underwear when they got dressed for the day.

Other dirty cloths, yes, he is bad about just leaving them where ever he takes them off. Now trash such as food, or other regular garbage, no he doesn’t throw that on the floor. If he has a bowl of fruit or a plate of food, he is bad about leaving the empty or half empty bowl or plate sitting where ever he was sitting to eat it.

He is supposed to change in the bathroom where there is a trash can for his dirty pull-up. But he almost always just leave it on the floor wherever he takes it off. So aggravating.

Old 03-28-2021, 08:56 AM

14,945 posts, read 12,139,254 times
Quote:

That is probably how I would approach that problem too. I'd make him change the sheets on his bed too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting