Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2021, 08:03 AM

3,918 posts, read 6,829,377 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,
My wife and I got a text from our neighbor about doing a nanny share. This option does interest us but I am not sure how we would handle splitting the cost.

The neighbor has two kids, one of them is a 3 year old, the other is only a couple of months older than ours. Our baby is going to be 10 months old.

How would you split the cost of the nanny? Would we split per child, so my neighbor pays 2/3 and I pay 1/3 or would we simply halve it? How would you handle it or expect it to be handled? I like my neighbor so I certainly don't want to make any waves if splitting per child is just ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2021, 08:14 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
So the nanny watches all three kids at the same time? I would not think it fair to pay half the nanny's fee if you only have 1/3 of the children.

I think what you do in that case is figure out how much the nanny charges for two kids and how much more for three. It may not be as simple as 2/3 - 1/3, but she probably has a price for two kids and an increased price for three. Then you split the amount for two kids in half, and that's what you pay.

For example, nanny says she wants $20/hour to watch two kids and $25/hour for three kids. You should split the two-kid cost and pay $10/hr, while your neighbor pays $15.

Others may disagree, but I don't think splitting the full amount in half ($12.50 each) is fair to the person with one child, and for the person with one child to pay only the "third child" amount ($20/$5) is not fair to the person with two.

Old 04-06-2021, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
So the nanny watches all three kids at the same time? I would not think it fair to pay half the nanny's fee if you only have 1/3 of the children.

I think what you do in that case is figure out how much the nanny charges for two kids and how much more for three. It may not be as simple as 2/3 - 1/3, but she probably has a price for two kids and an increased price for three. Then you split the amount for two kids in half, and that's what you pay.

For example, nanny says she wants $20/hour to watch two kids and $25/hour for three kids. You should split the two-kid cost and pay $10/hr, while your neighbor pays $15.

Others may disagree, but I don't think splitting the full amount in half ($12.50 each) is fair to the person with one child, and for the person with one child to pay only the "third child" amount ($20/$5) is not fair to the person with two.
Thank you! Good feedback and idea!

Old 04-06-2021, 08:52 AM

3,262 posts, read 4,997,171 times
Quote:

OP, what does your neighbor suggest as far as splitting the cost of the nanny? I'd suggest having a conversation with them and see what they are thinking. If they don't have strong feelings about a different arrangement, the above seems reasonable to me.

Old 04-06-2021, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
OP, what does your neighbor suggest as far as splitting the cost of the nanny? I'd suggest having a conversation with them and see what they are thinking. If they don't have strong feelings about a different arrangement, the above seems reasonable to me.
We haven't discussed the split yet. I wanted to gauge others opinions before we got to that. I wanted to know if I was totally in the wrong for thinking anything other than a 50/50 split was reasonable.

Old 04-06-2021, 09:25 AM

3,149 posts, read 2,695,105 times
Per child is reasonable, go ahead and suggest. I would expect that as the parent of two children, our costs are almost always higher than those of a 1-child household.

Old 04-06-2021, 10:45 AM

6,292 posts, read 10,592,094 times
Where would the services be provided? I’m assuming your neighbors house? Not really a nanny for you.

Old 04-06-2021, 11:11 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Whose house is getting all the wear and tear? That's an expense to the parent whose house is getting the beat down.

Your best option is to speak to the neighbor about how they think the cost should be divided.

If it is half and half, you are still saving half the cost. If you want to get nit-picky, you might end up with no nanny or a nanny at full price just for yourself.

Old 04-06-2021, 12:00 PM

325 posts, read 207,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Whose house is getting all the wear and tear? That's an expense to the parent whose house is getting the beat down.

Your best option is to speak to the neighbor about how they think the cost should be divided.

If it is half and half, you are still saving half the cost. If you want to get nit-picky, you might end up with no nanny or a nanny at full price just for yourself.

Why on earth would someone's house be getting all the "wear and tear"?

I stayed home and raised my three children all within 3.5 years of age. Sharing in my opinion is a recipe for trouble and everyone has a different idea about how children should be raised and cared for.

Old 04-06-2021, 12:08 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
Quote:

yes, something like this is reasonable. Bottom line is whatever you and neighbor agree to for what seems right.

And you can also negotiate about who hosts - meaning if you want some of the time to be spent in your house, so your own child gets that benefit, then you can negotiate that too. Although it can be easier if someone has a dedicated space that can be more effectively babyproofed and all that.

You also need to be on the same page in terms of how much time you want the nanny to take the kids on outings, whether any screen time will be allowed, what kind of food (all healthy and organic vs. it's ok if they eat Goldfish crackers, etc), crying it out for naps, vacation and sick time for the nanny and also what each family will do, holiday bonuses.

If you google "how to negotiate a nanny share" I'm sure there are lots of lists and other resources. I did not use a nanny share myself as my kid was always at a center when he was of an age to need childcare. But I know many families who have been very happy with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting