Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2021, 07:15 PM

10,311 posts, read 6,856,670 times

Advertisements

Keep weapons away from yer kid. Seen this a few times in the past. Usually, they end up in the news. (And, it isn't good news.)

Is he doing a lot of controlled substances?

Old 06-22-2021, 07:19 PM

2,277 posts, read 1,673,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
It'd make more sense to get him into a credit recovery summer school program and make getting privileges back contingent on finishing classes.
This ^^^.

Call the school and find out what summer courses are offered and get him enrolled. Probably 2 courses would be the limit as they will be a shortened time frame.

Does your son have learning disabilities that cause problems with online learning? Does he have an IEP? What were the teachers’ feedback on how he failed?

Old 06-22-2021, 07:22 PM

663 posts, read 434,259 times
You did not HAVE to ground your son. You decided to ground him.

I agree with the trend above... total grounding for the summer will not give you what you need for your son. He will not be motivated to do better and will make your life miserable.

An alternative idea would be to have him earn his privileges back. Get him a tutor. Make him take summer school classes or online classes. When he proves that he is improving then slowly loosen his grounding. Motivate him to improve.

Old 06-22-2021, 07:33 PM

823 posts, read 1,056,766 times
No door???!! Issues of control much? If he has no computer, TV, or phone, what possible purpose does removing the door serve, other than complete humiliation? Don't you think having to repeat Junior year at 17 is punishment enough?

Removing all those things won't change what happened. I'm also not so sure summer school is a good idea either. It won't be enough to prevent him having to repeat, and immediately having more school for a kid who clearly already doesn't like/isn't engaged in school is maybe not the answer.

Have you talked to him about what happened and what does he say? Was remote learning involved? Is it lack of effort or is there a learning issue involved perhaps? What were his grades like before the pandemic? What does he want to do after he finishes school? Maybe he's better off leaving school now to work and getting his GED over time, there's plenty of work around at the moment. The reality of working life might sharpen his focus somewhat, or maybe he'll like it. School as an institution is not for everyone and it's certainly not the only way to learn.

Maybe he's also subconsciously scared to grow up, and I mean that seriously and without judgement. These last 18 months have been really hard for all of us, imagine how anxiety-inducing it must be for those approaching adulthood, it's a pretty volatile and unpredictable world they are emerging into. Work on your relationship with him, it's really the only way to influence him. Help him envision how he wants his life to be after high school and then help him figure out the path to make that happen.

Old 06-22-2021, 07:47 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,800,459 times
If you go down the path you laid out at the start of this thread then I believe you are in for a great deal of trouble.

You're family needs professional help. Seriously. This situation is not to be toyed with.

Rich

Old 06-22-2021, 07:57 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,491,161 times
Normally, I'm down with punishment fbut this year has been extraordinary for our teens. My oldest never took to online learning and lost all motivation. Punitive measures failed to accomplish anything, neither did the arguments, etc. Just led to resentment, frustration on all sides...she told us she just "gave up." Ultimately, she failed every class during the second semester. Her sleeping patterns changed and she was miserable. Yes, she was slacking.....but in all honesty, it was because she had ZERO motivation...some kids need to be in-person and she's one of them. Couldn't do that because we were unvaxxed and I am high risk.

She's now doing credit recovery in summer school (in person) and all of a sudden she's perked up, completing her coursework and is overall a much happier person. Less quarrelsome too. She fully understands that she'll be carrying a heavier load when she goes into tenth grade.

My aim is to get her back on track. Returning to school was the beginning and now, so far, so good, we're doing great. Good luck.

Old 06-22-2021, 08:03 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,462,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenith498 View Post
My son is seventeen and will be repeating his junior year of school. He has received all Fs and he is grounded for the entire summer. This means:

- No TV
- No Computer
- No Video Games
- No Desserts
- No door
- No iPhone
- He will be allowed to come with us on our beach vacation, but he must stay inside the hotel room for the entirety of the trip with no access to the TV. We have arranged a babysitter with the hotel.

I know this year has been very hard for students due to the pandemic, but that is NO EXCUSE for my son to slack off and fail all of his classes.
Did you help your son with his studies? If not, why not?

Old 06-22-2021, 08:09 PM

9,500 posts, read 2,922,578 times
How about summer school and summer job, keep him busy, yard work, if he proves reliable and hard working, release the restrictions a little.

Old 06-22-2021, 08:18 PM

1,435 posts, read 668,771 times
I agree with punishment but also that this is too harsh.
Give the kid a chance to redeem himself and then try to help him do that.

Old 06-22-2021, 08:39 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,867,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudwalker View Post
Maybe he's better off leaving school now to work and getting his GED over time, there's plenty of work around at the moment.
There are the occasional gifted slackers, but typically, kids who can't pass their regular classes also can't pass the GED. The GED is more challenging than most people think it is. Meanwhile, teachers in classes required for graduation tend to be reluctant to fail kids...in most high schools you can eke out at least a barely passing grade in these classes just by demonstrating that you're not in a persistent vegetative state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting