Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2021, 08:47 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

Seriously? How do you know this? Why do you think this? If I met someone who had two kids and worked in retail, it wouldn't occur to me to assume they rely on the government, so where are you getting this idea that "people" think this way?

Sorry, sounds as if you are looking for offense where none may exist.
Exactly. I wouldn't assume that the people who work at T-Mobile can't support a family. In fact, I just had my first experience at a T-Mobile store this week, and I was very impressed with the level of customer service. The person serving me really went above and beyond. I hope they're decently paid, and have decent benefits.

I think the negative assumptions may be stemming from the Wal-Mart-ization of customer service jobs. Wal-Mart has become notorious for not paying its cashiers enough to get by, and for counting on their employees' qualifying for some form of public assistance. Apparently, some people have generalized that to all customer service jobs? I thought it was only true of Wal-Mart and the fast-food franchises.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2021, 09:18 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,947,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
So you are returning the 300 per month child tax credit?
Why the snarky comment? The poster is to be commended for her excellent work ethic and good job raising responsible kids.

Old 11-12-2021, 10:40 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

Seriously? How do you know this? Why do you think this? If I met someone who had two kids and worked in retail, it wouldn't occur to me to assume they rely on the government, so where are you getting this idea that "people" think this way?

Sorry, sounds as if you are looking for offense where none may exist.
Or just looking for praise (which she has received). One-and-done poster (hasn't been back since she posted) so not sure what the purpose of her thread was.

Old 11-12-2021, 11:20 AM

2,210 posts, read 2,154,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Or just looking for praise (which she has received). One-and-done poster (hasn't been back since she posted) so not sure what the purpose of her thread was.
That was my issue. This thread, if it was just to feel good about herself, so be it. I do commend her for hard work and for trying to raise children who want to work hard and appreciate the value of time and money. But I do not understand the purpose unless just to troll and cause trouble. I find a lot of one-and-done comments are like this.

Old 11-12-2021, 02:00 PM

2,466 posts, read 2,763,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I started my first job at 14, and despite the hard work (peeling potatoes at a fish & chip shop) I enjoyed it, and enjoyed the money. It was not to help my family manage, though buying my own things saved them money, it was for my college fund, and to buy my first car and pay for the insurance. From then on I never took any money from my parents, and had no student loans. I moved out at age 19 while a junior in college and got my own apartment. Our 3 kids all got their degrees with little need for help from us, and they all started working early too.
I worked at 15 because I wanted to. My parents provided my basic necessities and the deal was if my grades dropped my job was done. My husband truly did not have that luxury. He had to work or quite frankly he'd have had nothing, clothes were shared between 3 boys and they fit none of them, shoes had holes, etc.

Old 11-12-2021, 03:28 PM

2,257 posts, read 5,188,336 times
Quote:
So you are returning the 300 per month child tax credit?
That is a not a handout. It is a tax credit advance that one would otherwise get on filing taxes the following year. Are you saying you don't get use any credits or deductions for taxes?

Old 11-12-2021, 04:17 PM

8,070 posts, read 12,779,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davenj08 View Post
That is a not a handout. It is a tax credit advance that one would otherwise get on filing taxes the following year. Are you saying you don't get use any credits or deductions for taxes?
The O.P. Stated "never took a single penny from the government". What is the child tax credit other than a government welfare program? What about my paying local taxes to put other people's children through grade school? Is that not taking from the government (aka taxpayers)? Did the O.P. take the recent "stimulus payments"? How about unemployment payments during the pandemic?

I applaud the O.P. for not using food stamps, section 8 housing or Medicaid BUT it is not entirely the truth that not a single penny went to their family.

Yes. I take the standard deduction on my tax return but then again I never claimed I "never took a single penny from government".
Why claim you have never taken a single penny from the taxpayers when in fact it is unlikely that it is the truth?

Last edited by Wartrace; 11-12-2021 at 04:37 PM..

Old 11-12-2021, 05:32 PM

7,348 posts, read 4,134,790 times
Quote:
The O.P. Stated "never took a single penny from the government". What is the child tax credit other than a government welfare program? What about my paying local taxes to put other people's children through grade school? Is that not taking from the government (aka taxpayers)? Did the O.P. take the recent "stimulus payments"? How about unemployment payments during the pandemic?

I applaud the O.P. for not using food stamps, section 8 housing or Medicaid BUT it is not entirely the truth that not a single penny went to their family.

Yes. I take the standard deduction on my tax return but then again I never claimed I "never took a single penny from government".

Why claim you have never taken a single penny from the taxpayers when in fact it is unlikely that it is the truth?
What about tax deductions for charity donations? Lots of people have mortgage interest or property taxes deductions on federal income taxes. The top 1% have more deductions than this OP has.

It's a little silly to nitpick this.

Old 11-12-2021, 05:35 PM

8,070 posts, read 12,779,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
What about tax deductions for charity donations? Lots of people have mortgage interest or property taxes deductions on federal income taxes. The top 1% have more deductions than this OP has.

It's a little silly to nitpick this.
Point being the O.P. is doing what they should be doing. What's the point of the post? What if I posted "I don't shoot heroin". Why is that special?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaPH..._channel=eubmk

Old 11-12-2021, 08:57 PM

2,257 posts, read 5,188,336 times
Quote:

By that definition, every time one uses public utilities or government services, local parks or libraries, airports or national parks, they're getting a handout or welfare, because someone somewhere definitely pays more taxes?!?

You're just digging a deeper hole by explaining yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting