Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2022, 06:27 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,677,065 times

Advertisements

What do you think of this - Spain clamping down on targeting children for unhealthy food ads?

It would be interesting if it cut down on childhood obesity and ADD. Maybe less whining?

https://www.france24.com/en/live-new...targeting-kids

https://english.elpais.com/society/2...ce-creams.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2022, 06:33 PM

32,655 posts, read 48,053,996 times
I'm not at all sure it would make any difference. Kids are still going to know about the items and parents are still going to provide them.

Spain has a different government than ours and a different culture, they can manage laws differently than what would work here.

Old 01-25-2022, 06:38 PM

24,579 posts, read 10,884,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
What do you think of this - Spain clamping down on targeting children for unhealthy food ads?

It would be interesting if it cut down on childhood obesity and ADD. Maybe less whining?

https://www.france24.com/en/live-new...targeting-kids

https://english.elpais.com/society/2...ce-creams.html
How about parents not raising their brood in front of the tv?

Old 01-26-2022, 06:41 AM

316 posts, read 304,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
How about parents not raising their brood in front of the tv?
Exactly!

Old 01-26-2022, 10:54 AM

Or maybe must learning how to say "no" to the kids.

Kids don't whine for sugary treats if whining doesn't work.

Old 01-26-2022, 11:05 AM

5,655 posts, read 3,155,940 times
I think it'd be a good idea to ban those types of commercials, but I wonder if that would ever happen. Our gov. subsidizes so many different crops...WOULD they ban something on one hand, but on the other hand they're subsidizing it?

And for the record, I don't know for a fact what's subsidized, and what isn't, so someone could probably easily disprove my theory. lol

Old 01-26-2022, 12:47 PM

3,155 posts, read 2,702,162 times
I would be fine with regulating all advertisements for negative influences in everyone's life. Is that realistic? No.

If the government was really serious about improving kids' health, they would make healthy foods the cheapest and easiest to access. That is a very difficult and expensive proposition, so they are simply knee-jerk grabbing the lowest-hanging fruit to pretend they are doing something.

As any parent who does it will tell you, it takes a LOT of time, effort, and money to prepare 5 healthy meals a day for multiple children. Schools where I live demand that you send children with a shelf-stable room-temperature lunch and snacks, or they will give them a couple of items of processed junk food accompanied by some unwashed bruised/rotten fruit or soggy raw vegetables (which the children wouldn’t eat since they can get by on the cookies or whatever garbage snack is included, even if the fruits and veg were in decent shape).

On weekends, we only have to provide 3 healthy meals that do not have to be sitting at room temperature for six hours, which is somewhat easier.

We put a lot of effort into feeding our children well. That means multiple trips every week to the store and farmer's market to ensure a steady supply of fresh fruits, vegetables, meats, dairy, and bread/grains. Multiple hours dedicated to washing, chopping, steaming, and otherwise preparing meals that must be shelf-stable for at least several hours. We can only cook one day ahead of time, because schools don't provide refrigeration or reheating implements. It is not something the average family can manage in the United States. (or Spain, I imagine)

Some ways to do it better are:

- Provide steamers in the classroom/s as they do in Japan, Taiwan, and China. This allows students to have healthy, hot lunches without having to worry about bacteria growth over several hours at room temperature.
- Subsidize fruits and vegetable farmers to lower their price at the market.
- Add a discounted grocery delivery service to the WIC and other food stamp programs (and/or subsidize it for anyone who enrolls their children in existing grocery delivery services) that will deliver inexpensive fruits and vegetables to households with children at low or no cost.
- Offer ONLY healthy food at school. Kids have the choice of eating healthy food or going hungry. I recall Obama (1st lady) trying this and getting a lot of backlash from people who care more about politics than children.

None of this is going to happen, though, and the average family will continue to feed their children with the cheap and easy trash like lunchables and other shelf-stable crap, because there is really no choice unless you can afford to have one working parent, servants, or some other form of help.

Old 01-27-2022, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
.......- Subsidize fruits and vegetable farmers to lower their price at the market.

It doesn't have anything to do with advertising sugar, but just be aware, the farmer is not the one getting high prices for fruits and vegetables (or meat or grain). So it wouldn't make any difference to lower what the farmer is paid for produce.

Old 01-27-2022, 09:36 AM

20,341 posts, read 19,930,346 times
My wife and I didn't need politicians making those type of decisions for us because we were, uh, the parents.

That's just weird.

Old 01-28-2022, 11:52 AM

3,073 posts, read 1,682,636 times
I don't want the government telling me what I or my loved ones 'should' eat. I've always known a few, if very few, parents who restricted sugar with their children and they managed without Big Brother's interference. Spain and everywhere else can take away their own choices if they want to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting