Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 09:29 AM

3,086 posts, read 7,615,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones96 View Post
Based on what she said I don't think it would have mattered. If the kids behaved as she described even given that she did all she did to have kid activities to participate in I think these kids may have still had issues. The setting played a very small part in their behavior. These are probably the same kids who get kicked out of Chuck E Cheese for violent or otherwise inappropriate behavior.

Example: My daughter turned 4 a couple of months ago and we had a birthday party at this bounce house place...one of those places that have the blow up slides and things to climb on. Well there was this family there with another party who had a kid that insisted on Jumping off the top of the slide instead of sliding down it. I took video. We're not talking about a small slide either. It was a good 20ft from the top to the bottom. He would litterally jump from the top and fall 10ft before he touched the slide. His parents sat there and did nothing. I carried my son up to the top so we could slide down together and this kid came running and pushing behind me when I got to the top. I told him he'd better sit his a$$ down and slide right or he's going to get hurt or hurt someone else. Did he listen? NO. He did it anyway...still in full view of his parents. Heck he almost landed on top of me and my son on our way down. So I told the manager and they kicked them out. These are the same sorts of people who would sue the management for negligence. And actually they would have been found negligent because they weren't paying any attention to the situation. I had to point it out to them.
While that indeed might still happen......when you have a function at a place of business, it becomes the responsibiity of the managment of the place to be the 'bad guy' when handling issues such as you've witnessed and not yours. You don't have to have the stress of taking that on like you do when you are the one in charge, therefore it becomes a 'I'm sorry, it's the rules of here and there's nothing I can do, or did, to make that happen'....it's all on the offending person. That parent you witnessed can't blame YOU for what happened because you didn't kick them out......like this parent blamed our poster for having a wrong setting for her kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2008, 09:31 AM

3,086 posts, read 7,615,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
These are great suggestions for any type of event!

I firmly believe what has been mentioned on this thread earlier - we have to be realistic about what we expect from children at events. On one hand, good parenting is necessary so that children DO KNOW how to behave (w/in age appropriate parameters) but also - putting children in situations where they simply CANNOT function well (tired, stressed, hungry, etc) is a set up for failure - and the proverbial "bad time that was had by all," LOL!!!

Thank you again, Hypo!!!!
You are welcome. Like I said, I am a kid driven person. I've found that adults adjust far more easily to a kids environment than kids adjust to an adults environment.

Old 06-04-2008, 10:00 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,267,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocore View Post
While that indeed might still happen......when you have a function at a place of business, it becomes the responsibiity of the managment of the place to be the 'bad guy' when handling issues such as you've witnessed and not yours. You don't have to have the stress of taking that on like you do when you are the one in charge, therefore it becomes a 'I'm sorry, it's the rules of here and there's nothing I can do, or did, to make that happen'....it's all on the offending person. That parent you witnessed can't blame YOU for what happened because you didn't kick them out......like this parent blamed our poster for having a wrong setting for her kids.
I did not intend to get them kicked out. All I wanted was for the kid to stop what he was doing before he hurt himself or someone else. I told the management with that in mind. They watched him climb up the slide and do the same thing. They went over, had a word with the kid to settle down. They waited and kept an eye on him for a while. Then he did it again! They kicked them out after that. I feel that my actions only directed the attention of the management to the situation and they made their own decisions on how to handle it.

But I would tell those people to their faces if they wanted to insinuate that I kicked them out that they are irresponsible parents who care not for the safety of their own child or the children of others and I do not regret that they were invited to leave.

Old 06-04-2008, 10:57 AM

2,568 posts, read 6,750,868 times
drjones96,

I was going to give you rep points but I already gave you for some other post.

Old 06-04-2008, 12:21 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,127,905 times
It is play ground etiquette and it seems to be a forgotten art.

Many parents do not teach their children the rules of playing with others. Including not going up the slide, waiting in line etc. Now kids under 5 have issues in general and need more reminders. I am more than happy to parent other people's children if they dont bother too. I will enforce the rules as I see fit, since their parents are too busy to participate. Mainly because I want my kid to have some sense of order on the playground. I am lucky because I am tall enough that I scare negligient parents away. They would be humiliated beyond belief.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones96 View Post

Well there was this family there with another party who had a kid that insisted on Jumping off the top of the slide instead of sliding down it. I took video. We're not talking about a small slide either. It was a good 20ft from the top to the bottom. He would litterally jump from the top and fall 10ft before he touched the slide. His parents sat there and did nothing. I carried my son up to the top so we could slide down together and this kid came running and pushing behind me when I got to the top. I told him he'd better sit his a$$ down and slide right or he's going to get hurt or hurt someone else. Did he listen? NO. He did it anyway...still in full view of his parents. Heck he almost landed on top of me and my son on our way down. So I told the manager and they kicked them out. These are the same sorts of people who would sue the management for negligence. And actually they would have been found negligent because they weren't paying any attention to the situation. I had to point it out to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting