Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 04:19 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,800,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christy309 View Post
Well I'm hoping he likes the trombone so much he'll decide to stay with it. Once he gets something in his head though it's hard to get it out.
Once he learns to play a brass instrument it is very unlikely he will really want to switch to a woodwind - and vice versa. I think you are likely safe there On the subject of piana lessons - YES, YES, YES. You will NEVER regret it. If a person can play a piano they can read any kind of music and it will aid him in learning the trombone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 04:21 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,208,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christy309 View Post
My son and I just got back from our first band meeting. He will start beginning band next year in 6th grade. He's very excited and it really seems like this is going to be the thing for him.

I tried to talk him into something awesome like the electric guitar. He, of course, wanted to play an instrument not on the list. The bassoon. I had never even heard of it before. The band director said it was a great instrument, but very costly, and very difficult to learn. Of course he's adamant that's what he wants to do. The director said he does not allow the beginning band to start out on the bassoon and suggested he begin with the trombone and then he could switch to the bassoon later. And he also suggested that the school might purchase it so that we could just use it and not have to pay for one. So my son agreed and is now a trombonist.

I know nothing about musical instruments so this will be a learning experience for me too. He is musically inclined. My mom thinks I need to get him piano lessons because when he just plays around on hers, she said he seems to have a good ear for the music.
I taught music for years, and I have this word advice.

Learning any musical instrument takes COMMITMENT AND PRACTICE. Period. By that I mean daily practice, week after week, month after month. And it won't be fun and enjoyable for your son for quite some time. And that's okay.

When my children wanted to take up a musical instrument, I told them all the same thing: Fine. That's great. But if you decide to take it up, it's a five year commitment. Because it takes that long to get really good.

Then if they want to do it, hold them to it.

Old 05-21-2008, 06:04 PM

308 posts, read 1,618,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Do you know if your son is allowed to play the oboe? Bassoons are double reeded instruments and to go from a trombone (metal mouthpiece) to a double reed is a completely new monster. He'd be better off playing a single reed like a clarinet or sax. There probably is a shortage of first year trombone players since EVERYONE wants to play trumpet/clarinet/sax/flute and no one ever wants to play the tuba or trombone.
The oboe is also a double reeded instrument.

Old 05-21-2008, 06:09 PM

15,877 posts, read 21,472,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paramour View Post
The oboe is also a double reeded instrument.
I know. I was suggesting he start on a double reed at best or single reed at worst rather than start on brass.

Old 05-22-2008, 06:29 AM

859 posts, read 2,150,501 times
My daughter plays Flute, and loves it . Cheap flute $ 400 sec. year use ( we bought thru the school and bought a 2 year old flute all cleaned and polished and have warranty with this)
She already said she wants to have a better Flute later in highschool ,,whew got time to save up money lol ( she is in 5 grade)

Old 05-22-2008, 06:46 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,275,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmin71 View Post
My daughter plays Flute, and loves it . Cheap flute $ 400 sec. year use ( we bought thru the school and bought a 2 year old flute all cleaned and polished and have warranty with this)
She already said she wants to have a better Flute later in highschool ,,whew got time to save up money lol ( she is in 5 grade)
Not implying anything here but I didn't see many boys playing flute in any band that I was in. ....just saying....

The trombone is a masculine instrument.

Old 05-22-2008, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I taught music for years, and I have this word advice.

Learning any musical instrument takes COMMITMENT AND PRACTICE. Period. By that I mean daily practice, week after week, month after month. And it won't be fun and enjoyable for your son for quite some time. And that's okay.

When my children wanted to take up a musical instrument, I told them all the same thing: Fine. That's great. But if you decide to take it up, it's a five year commitment. Because it takes that long to get really good.

Then if they want to do it, hold them to it.
Completely agree. Make sure this isn't the interest of the week.

Old 05-22-2008, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Once he learns to play a brass instrument it is very unlikely he will really want to switch to a woodwind - and vice versa. I think you are likely safe there On the subject of piana lessons - YES, YES, YES. You will NEVER regret it. If a person can play a piano they can read any kind of music and it will aid him in learning the trombone.
I've known some guys that could play anything...brass, woodwind, percussion....but they are few and far between.

My mother is a pianist and taught piano for many years. I was one of her students. I couldn't get the hang of it really....just so many keys...of course I was only 5 or 6 at the time. I just had enough one day and quit. But I learned to read music and it helped later with choir and then band.

Old 05-22-2008, 07:45 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,650,225 times
My dd is going into ninth grade and has been playing the oboe for two years (prior to that she played the piano since first grade --- band teachers get positively giddy when they learn a student knows how to play the piano!)
Our jr high supplied my dds oboe. She liked the sound and uniqueness of it. Unfortunatly the reeds are twice as expensive for oboe then clarinet -- about $15 a pop -- and they are very fragile. Also, she can't play oboe for the marching band, so she will switch to xylophone and keep the oboe for the concert band.

Band is a great experience, and expensive or not one that you will be very glad you got your son into!

Old 05-22-2008, 08:07 AM

859 posts, read 2,150,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones96 View Post
Not implying anything here but I didn't see many boys playing flute in any band that I was in. ....just saying....

The trombone is a masculine instrument.
I wasnt saying anything about a Boy playing it.... I said MY daughter is. And that she loves the Flute.
At the end what really matters is that the CHILD likes to play it. Like our Daughter for MANY MANY years wanted to play the Flute, so thats what she got. I know of some parents who *decided* what the Kids will play only to have exchange the Instrument later because the Kid wasnt *into* it.
Masculine Instruments.... hmm never seen the dude plaing that Flute who is makign BIG $$?

We have 2 Boys in Middle school who do play the Flute
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting