Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 08:17 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,926,227 times

Advertisements

I was in band and it was a great experience for me. I played in the percussion section, and the school supplied the instruments! All I had at home was a practice pad and sticks! I also played in marching band, and didn't have to pay there either. My sister is now in band and plays sax and loves it, but she does have to pay to be in marching band at her school. I think it just depends on the school and how their band program is set up.

I would also say that if he really wants to play a reed instrument, it makes a lot more sense for him to start with a clarinet or sax than a brass instrument. Lots of boys play sax, and there are enough on clarinet too that it's not weird either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 08:22 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,639,025 times
Oh, just thought to add ---- I was told by my dds band teacher that the oboe is actually more related to brass instruments due to the way the musician has to blow into it. That is also why my dd sits with the brass section during concerts.

Old 05-22-2008, 08:52 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones96 View Post
Not implying anything here but I didn't see many boys playing flute in any band that I was in. ....just saying....

The trombone is a masculine instrument.

We have several boys in our band that play flute, they pretty much occupy most of the top chairs too. There are several professional male flutists around the world as well. Our best trombone players are girls too .

Old 05-22-2008, 10:44 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,267,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
...Our best trombone players are girls too .
There were a few girls that played trombone with me. Call it male pride but I would never be upstaged by one of them. I sat 1st chair always. There was one girl in begining band that started in 1st chair but I just worked harder and squeezed her out. From then on I sat 1st chair all the way up through college.

Old 05-22-2008, 12:04 PM

52 posts, read 235,383 times
Well I don't know why the band director didn't suggest another reed instrument instead of brass. There must have been something there. Or maybe he just suggested it because that was what my son had put down as his first choice if he couldn't do the bassoon. I really hope he gets over that. He's kind of obsessive about things like that though and I can see him wanting to switch after the first year. We'll just have to wait and see.

Old 05-22-2008, 04:15 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
I played drums through middle school, high school, college, and drum corps. I would never give up that experience for anything.

Old 05-22-2008, 07:17 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones96 View Post
There were a few girls that played trombone with me. Call it male pride but I would never be upstaged by one of them. I sat 1st chair always. There was one girl in begining band that started in 1st chair but I just worked harder and squeezed her out. From then on I sat 1st chair all the way up through college.
You would have been hard pressed to upstage our #1 trombonist, trust me, she is UNBELIEVABLE. She played Carnival of Venice for her senior solo piece this year WOW!!!!

Old 05-22-2008, 08:38 PM

1,451 posts, read 2,490,553 times
Thats great that your son is in band! Although practice can hurt the ears

I joined Orchestra when I was in 6th grade and carried it through until now (I'm now 25) I had the great opportunity of even playing at Carnegie Hall when I was 16! Who knows how far your son might go with it but I wish him luck!

My sister was in band through highschool and traveled to China, Ireland, and then marched in the Macy's Day parade with them, kids in band usually have great times and experiences they won't forget

Old 05-23-2008, 04:54 PM

308 posts, read 1,617,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I know. I was suggesting he start on a double reed at best or single reed at worst rather than start on brass.
Ah, I see now. I mistakenly thought that you were implying he should play the oboe due to your latter sentences that indicated he should stick with a single reed. All makes sense now (and I concur)!

EDITed to add: Double-reed instruments (especially good ones) are EXPENSIVE (more expensive than many of the other instruments)! And if you have a kiddo starting on oboe, be prepared to be tortured unless you have a soundproof room in your home. I knew very few people who could play them well in jr high/high school even after 'years' of practice.

Old 05-23-2008, 06:02 PM

Location: Originally Fayetteville, Arkansas/ now Seattle, Washington!
1,047 posts, read 3,947,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I have a high school trombonist. The $900 is a good beginner trombone. Wait until he wants to upgrade (if he sticks with the trombone) $3000+ . They do sound MUCH better though. DS uses his beginner trombone for marching band and his good one for concert band.

Our twins play sax and the beginner saxes are $1500/each.

I LOVE the bassoon. It is a great sound. I wonder why the trombone and not something like the sax or clarinet before going into the bassoon??
I was wondering the exact same thing! Seems like it would be better to start on a reed instrument rather than switching from a brass, metal mouthpiece instrument to the bassoon. If i remember correctly, when i was in band people that wanted to play bassoon or sax started on the clarinet, which makes sense. I will definitely agree with the one that said low brass rules, i started on trombone then became a tuba player, and got first band first chair evetually in All Region in my region(not trying to be arrogant lol, but it made me happy ) Band is fun, but yea if hes gonna be on Bassoon, seems like a woodwind instrument would be the thing to learn...but the trombone is an excellent, fun to play instrument!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting