Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2022, 12:28 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,043,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Im not sure if you have kids but most people dont want to hear 5 and 6 year olds saying, "that sucks" "idiot" and "stupid". Most people REALLY don't want to hear their own young child saying that. I'm not saying life is over and things are doomed if children use bad language but I don't want my kids saying such negative things.

In some ways it is silly that words can mean so much but they do. If a kid or anyone is using these words are they angry about something? Or is it really just words. There are plenty of racist words that basically seem banned so those seem to be a lot more than just words as well.
I never said anything about wanting kids to use those words. I said you cannot tell others they cannot use those words around your children. I use all three of those words on occasion. Its never said in anger. Using racial slurs to put down another person is a completely different scenario then someone saying "that sucks your appointment was cancelled last minute." I never understand why people want to go there in the types of discussions.

"If you're fine with saying something sucks then you should be fine with people calling someone the n word." Does that really make sense to you?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2022, 12:30 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,645,971 times
Some of you would be shocked to hear what is said at school! Your ears would melt off your head. LOL

Old 06-03-2022, 12:37 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,043,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgePodge View Post
Like it or not, constantly swearing shows lack of intelligence and it's just low brow. I wouldn't want my kids (if I had any lol) spewing that nonsense. if our society is to function well.
That myth has been dispelled, that people who swear lack intelligence. It's actually the opposite. Swearing is a way for an articulate speaker to communicate with maximum effectiveness. They're also good at code switching, knowing what words to use in different situations. I bet that group of girls in the OP don't talk like that to their parents or grandparents, but it's a good form of communication among peers to really get your point across.

Old 06-03-2022, 12:39 PM

6,465 posts, read 7,809,915 times
When my kid was that age I usually used humor to stop it or just asked them to stop, depending on the situation of course. I had no problem doing that - I am a guy and if it were a group of guys that were say 20+ I would just make vocalizations like "aye, oh". They would looks at me and I would gesture towards my kid. They would always laugh it off and apologize, it appeals to their manhood (my kid is a boy but am sure it would be the same for a girl) to it always worked pretty well. If it were younger teens I would just say "hey guys, can you hold on teh cursing for a bit" and gesture to my kid. Again, no problems. Now if a guy stumbling down the block with no shirt came by mumbling swears, I would keep to myself lol.

I don't know if it would be much different for a woman. Using the "ay, oh" thing might be weird. My wife however used to make vocalizations that were different but similar to a group of guys and the guys responded well to her (i.e. they stopped immediately).

Old 06-03-2022, 12:43 PM

1,141 posts, read 626,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
That myth has been dispelled, that people who swear lack intelligence. It's actually the opposite. Swearing is a way for an articulate speaker to communicate with maximum effectiveness. They're also good at code switching, knowing what words to use in different situations. I bet that group of girls in the OP don't talk like that to their parents or grandparents, but it's a good form of communication among peers to really get your point across.
I wrote "constantly swearing" as in overuse of the F word etc.

I 100% agree that swear words have legitimate uses. But not in every other sentence.

Old 06-03-2022, 12:48 PM

2,203 posts, read 5,088,933 times
I never censored that type of thing.
When you forbid something it makes it more interesting.
It's not a good idea to confront anyone about anything, you may not like the response you get. Mind your business and stop being so sensitive. Kids will hear words. Explain the words and decide if they're appropriate in YOUR home.

Old 06-03-2022, 03:55 PM

544 posts, read 716,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
If someone is doing/saying something you don't want your kids exposed to, all you can do is remove your children from the situation.
Not so easy to remove yourself from the situation if you are on a crowded bus/train etc..

Old 06-03-2022, 03:56 PM

544 posts, read 716,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Yes because they live in America where we have freedoms. You may not like what someone else says but that's too bad for you. They may not like what you say either but they aren't bothering you about it.
Not sure I understand how this 1-way freedoms work. People can say whatever they want in public, but no one in the public can say anything back.. Sounds like you are one of those "my way or the highway" kind of folks..

Old 06-03-2022, 04:05 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,264,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Some of you would be shocked to hear what is said at school! Your ears would melt off your head. LOL
Not their children. Never.

Old 06-03-2022, 04:07 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,264,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koctail View Post
Not so easy to remove yourself from the situation if you are on a crowded bus/train etc..
Headphones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting