Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2022, 06:13 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,480,995 times

Advertisements

I think we are being too harsh on good old Dad,it is important that the father shows interest in teaching the son how to drive before turning him over to a driving school.
Your son may know more about driving than we give him credit for,he grew up riding and watching other drive.
Compliments him when he is doing a good job.
Funny,all of a sudden I think of Dukakis,remember him the Governor of MA ,someone said when he invited someone over for a beer,he took one bottle out of the fridge and pour it in 2 glasses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2022, 06:20 PM

10,309 posts, read 6,842,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKP440 View Post
I once again agree that a professional driving school would be the best move to help him. BTW I'm learning to ride a motorcycle. Its relatively easy since I used to have to pilot scooters at my old job. Just getting used to the clutch and throttle. I paid to go to a professional Motorcycle School. I was trying to save my son a little cash, but I guess its best he go and pay for lessons.
You'll soon find out that manipulating the clutch & throttle are barely scratching the surface of the iceberg that is known as "motorcycling."

If you have prior scooter experience, then you can use some of that experience, but some will need to be "re-learned."

Now, if you want to have a real "bonding" with your son (or daughter) take the class with them.

Those are the classes I really enjoyed facilitating. (When a parent and son/daughter attended the same MSF class.)

Let me leave you with this...

"Motorcycling, the more you know, the better it becomes."

https://youtu.be/3D_4N-sat2U

Old 07-02-2022, 06:34 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,905,591 times
Quote:
I have had numerous lessons with him behind the wheel and me on a walkie talkie telling him what to do. The only time I'm in the car with him is when I have him drive in traffic usually later at night after 9pm.
You do realize that it's illegal for him to drive on a permit without an adult licensed driver in the car with him?

Quote:
The problem is my wife does not like my technique with him in the parking lot.
She's right. I don't like it either. You know what the car is doing but you can't see what his hands and feet are doing. You need to be in the car with him.

Old 07-02-2022, 07:02 PM

16,073 posts, read 21,148,356 times
If your son has a good relationship with his sister and she's available perhaps she could step up to the task of teaching him. I do agree that Dad doesn't seem to have the right temperament for teaching his adult son.

Old 07-03-2022, 04:43 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,274,252 times
Have him attend classes with a drivers ed place.

Old 07-03-2022, 07:38 AM

1,223 posts, read 1,688,335 times
As of today my son is looking up and researching various driving schools in our area. I had a conversation with him telling him that this was the best way since my driving education technique was met with disapproval from his mother, and that moving forward a professional driving school will provide him the lessons and preparation he needs for his road test.

Old 07-03-2022, 11:40 AM

17,387 posts, read 16,524,581 times
Quote:
As of today my son is looking up and researching various driving schools in our area. I had a conversation with him telling him that this was the best way since my driving education technique was met with disapproval from his mother, and that moving forward a professional driving school will provide him the lessons and preparation he needs for his road test.
That's probably a smart move. I think a person with a learner's permit can not be left to drive alone in a car, even if there is a walkie talkie next to them.

Cops frequent HS parking lots so it was probably just a matter of time until he got ticketed. With a driving school, he'll have an instructor right there with him all the time.

Old 07-03-2022, 02:02 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,274,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
That's probably a smart move. I think a person with a learner's permit can not be left to drive alone in a car, even if there is a walkie talkie next to them.

Cops frequent HS parking lots so it was probably just a matter of time until he got ticketed. With a driving school, he'll have an instructor right there with him all the time.
And a way to take control of the vehicle if needed.

Old 07-03-2022, 02:44 PM

19,797 posts, read 18,085,519 times
A few tactical thoughts.

1. Stow the walkie talkie bit right now. As noted that's almost certainly illegal and you are adding an unnecessary level of complexity.

2. Ask your son to visually focus on an area maybe 80-100 feet in front for the car. New drivers tend to focus directly in front of the car they are driving. This leads to endless steering micro-corrections and a stressful ride.

3. Relax and talk less when he's driving.

4. Even if as it seems you pass him off to a pro you've helped him.

Good luck to your son and good on your for helping.

Old 07-03-2022, 10:07 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times
Best thing I ever did was take driving lessons from a company that offered them and helped me know what I needed to be able to do to pass the driving exam. Having my parents teach me was an absolute nightmare at 16> At 32, I probably would have driven into the river on purpose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting