Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2022, 02:33 PM

1,073 posts, read 622,665 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I know I'm going to get beat up in here but I guess I'm coming because I'm prepared for it. My daughter is a freshman in high school and is really smart. Does well on school work and is very conscientious about her schooling over all. I come from a family that generally values education and doing our best. To be clear on that, we are no way academic scholars. But like I said we try hard and work to get the best grade we can get.

My daughter wants to be a hair dresser/ cosmetologist. She has wigs in her room that she likes to mess around with. I get it, it may be a passion. Or she may grow out of it. My issue is I don't think they are overly paid well, not necessarily in need for the future and frankly I'd rather her get a more professional type job/career. I know you don't need a BS to be a hair stylist for example. Am I over analyzing this? I guess I just need to stay positive. It seems when I offer other professions there is no interest. Ugh. I know she is young still but I also know this will continue to creep up. Let me have it, I deserve it.... let me know your thoughts on my situation.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2022, 03:08 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
She's a freshman in high school. Next year or even next month, it'll be something else — unless you chip away at her by constantly telling her why she shouldn't be a stylist; that could just make her stick to her guns when otherwise she might not.

This doesn't have to be a nowhere profession. If she's got serious talent and half a brain, she should be able to make it pay pretty well.

Old 08-29-2022, 03:14 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Being a stylist doesn't mean she can't or shouldn't go to college. But it doesn't mean she should either if you consider the state of college graduates today and the debt they get into for basically no payoff jobwise. Remember, everyone gets their hair cut and a good stylist can demand a high price or even own their own salon. It's one of those jobs that's always in demand and not prone to layoffs. I happen to know a few personally who are the same age as my adult kids and they love the flexibility, especially once they have kids of their own. It's also totally portable so moving around doesn't effect their ability to work.

Do you have a specific type of job you'd prefer to see her do? I only ask because there are only a couple professions I can think of right now that require a college degree and can guarantee you a job and if she doesn't have any interest in those she wouldn't even make it through college. I'm a firm believer that having hands on skills in SOMETHING is preferable than having soft generic office/business skills that can be rendered useless due to tech advances or offshoring.

Old 08-29-2022, 03:18 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
I agree with you but I can also see her point. Maybe she wants to get into fashion? Or even something like art or interior design or something like that?

She does need to know the pros and cons - after awhile (not now). The pros are that she will own her own business. The cons are the same. If she wants health care or benefits, she will be responsible to provide those - or not. She will be on her feet all day every day. She will need to either provide a station (which isn't cheap) or she will have to pay rent somewhere. This is regardless of whether she has the money -she will owe it anyway.

I see a need for it, but she also needs to know that much of her work will probably involve older ladies and she may not enjoy that - or maybe she will, I don't know. But many older ladies aren't all that exciting when it comes to hair styles.

She is going to own her own business regardless (most likely) so a business degree wouldn't be a complete waste of money or time. In fact, it would probably be a great help, no matter what she eventually decides to do.

Old 08-29-2022, 03:19 PM

4,851 posts, read 3,276,133 times
Ceece said it for me.

Old 08-29-2022, 04:15 PM

37 posts, read 18,334 times
At her age it could change in a week. Even if she does stick with that doesn’t mean college is always out of the question. She could do that for a few years then go back to school if she wants.

Old 08-29-2022, 04:47 PM

9,859 posts, read 7,732,644 times
Out of all my daughter's friends who still live in southern California, only one has bought a home. The hairdresser. On her own, not married yet.

One of my friends has had her own salon for many years. She has a wonderful life and family. Her career choice hasn't hurt her at all.

Old 08-29-2022, 04:55 PM

1,073 posts, read 622,665 times
Good to know everyone, I appreciate it.
I agree there is no reason being a hair stylist/dresser or cosmetologist should sway her from going to college.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Old 08-29-2022, 05:35 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Hair stylists make a very good living and can have their own business.

If the young woman pursues that, she can always take a college class here and there if so desired. Make a living and get courses in if needed or wanted. I think it's a great plan, especially if she has an aptitude for the work.

Old 08-29-2022, 06:34 PM

10,895 posts, read 7,389,984 times
She could also work in theater and movies. A lot of those jobs are union and pay pretty well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting