Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2022, 07:28 PM

423 posts, read 266,133 times

Advertisements

I do always plan to have a space they can each sleep for visits home, assuming they move out of our general area.

I asked this question because I have a kid in college that will come home for school breaks. That kid’s room is considerably superior to a middle school kid’s that has a smaller room. The younger one wants to swap the rooms. While it does make sense in some ways, I’m afraid the college kid will feel hurt over the swap at this time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2022, 07:47 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,858,131 times
Seems like maybe something the siblings could work out between themselves?

Old 11-16-2022, 06:58 AM

9,851 posts, read 7,718,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A New Day View Post
I do always plan to have a space they can each sleep for visits home, assuming they move out of our general area.

I asked this question because I have a kid in college that will come home for school breaks. That kid’s room is considerably superior to a middle school kid’s that has a smaller room. The younger one wants to swap the rooms. While it does make sense in some ways, I’m afraid the college kid will feel hurt over the swap at this time.
Sounds logical. I'd just ask the the older one what he thinks about the switch so it's not a shock.

This thread reminded me of my ex. When our daughter turned 18, he called her while she was at my house and told her to come back to his and pick up all her stuff, he was kicking her out. He rented her room to some strange man. My younger kids had to deal with living with 2 men whenever they were staying at their dad's house.

Old 11-16-2022, 07:32 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,421,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver 47 View Post
When I bought our retirement home I choose to have extra bedrooms just in case my son ran into hard times. I told him there would always be a place for him here. (Also because eventually my wife and I are going to need assistance.) I made sure there's enough room in case grandchildren happen.
That, in my mind, is differentiated by the fact that he doesn't have "his" room.

By which I mean, my own parents recently moved to their retirement home which is actually bigger than the home they sold. The difference being that if me and my brother were going to stay the night there we'd have to debate about who got what bedroom.

In my own experience, my parents had the room that I slept in growing up somewhat cleaned out a little at a time. It became a guitar storage room, then the bed was moved to a corner to make space for a crib for my niece. The room still had my letterman's jacket, a few jerseys, and random clothes of mine left over time. Obviously I took most of that with me when they moved. Stuff you won't ever wear but don't want to part with.

Old 11-16-2022, 09:48 AM

15,789 posts, read 20,483,047 times
I lived at college pretty much all 4 years. I was always in a different dorm/off-campus housing, so I was never able to maintain a lease at a single location.

So i went home for summer. 3 months give or take and then I was gone again. When i graduated. My parents gave me 3 months grace period and then they were turning my bedroom into an office.

I had a good job and had decent savings and was a rather independent person, so i had no issue moving out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting