Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2022, 05:44 PM

10,300 posts, read 6,818,131 times

Advertisements

"Hey mom, where's the turkey baster?"

9 kids?

NEIN!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2022, 08:55 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,576,434 times
I find it hard to believe all 9 of those babies are totally healthy and normal. Maybe so. Maybe not.

I would've done selective reduction (as hard as that would have been), to give the others a better chance. It's also not normal for the human body to carry that many babies, so I wonder how that's affected the mother. A second reason for selective reduction.

I guess we'll be seeing them in magazines and on tv. They'll certainly need the money. At least they'll have plenty of kids to care for them in their old age!

Old 12-19-2022, 10:24 PM

24,096 posts, read 32,443,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Selective reduction well before the birth.
Most people would do that but who knows if selective reduction is still allowed? That's very risky. I've never heard of a responsible doctor implanting any more than five. And that's pushing it.

Nothing to celebrate here.

Old 12-19-2022, 10:57 PM

24,096 posts, read 32,443,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWorth View Post
I'm not looking it up, but was this a natural occurence or the result of fertility drugs? Did the mother have children born before this?
We will never know the truth, really. They are saying that it was a "miracle", of course. She's Islamic.

What will follow will be the usual circus of rewards - diapers for the first five years, clothes from a stylish baby shop, press conferences, furniture, education and more.

The hint that they are being less than honest, is revealed when she shares that she disliked being an only child and she didn't want her daughter to grow up a lonely only child as she did.

The sad part is somewhere on earth, a woman just completed her ninth cycle of IVF and failed to produce one viable egg. This Christmas she'll cry herself to sleep. She'll try to smile and be happy for her toddler's sake, but no one will give her any attention, a Day of Beauty, a trip to the destination of her choice, the opportunity to be on a commercial or endorse their products, or college tuition for her kid.

She will just be told to be thankful that she had one and scolded for being greedy while she plans to add a bedroom to her home to accommodate her 4th.

Old 12-20-2022, 12:20 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,529,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
Because the article referenced was not linked I searched for news about this. For those that wondered, as did I, the babies were not in the hospital for 18 months. The mother was sent to Morocco for medical care there. They just returned home to Mali now. They originally thought it was "just" seven babies.

This article has a few more details: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-63955055

The article you linked said that they had around the clock care from a clinic which sounds to me like medical care.

Quote:
There were risks that they could have developed health problems due to their premature birth and they spent the first months of their lives in hospital.

They were then moved to an apartment where they received round-the-clock care from the Ain Borja clinic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
It is very, very rare, but it is possible. Currently available info about the Mali nonuplets is that they were not conceived using fertility treatments.

And there is at least one prior instance known of naturally conceived nonuplets, although none of those babies survived.

There's a show about a black family on TLC called Doubling Down With the Derricos that has two single pregnancies, the rest are all multiples, one was natural quintuplets that could easily split, causing a few identical twin or triplet births which they also have a history of having, both twins and triplets. They had 15 kids. The quote below says Diez and Dior were twins which isn't true they were not a twin pregnancy, they were triplets, they lost one baby that they named Carter. He's their only child without a "D" name. I believe Karen was pregnant again.

Quote:
For the uninitiated, Karen gave birth to all 14 of her children naturally, which included two single births (Darian, 16, and Derek, 10), twins (Dallas and Denver, 9), quintuplets (Deonee, Daician, Daiten, Deniko and Dariz, 7), twins (Diez and Dior, 4) and triplets (Dawsyn, De'Aren and Dyver, 2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
We will never know the truth, really. They are saying that it was a "miracle", of course. She's Islamic.

What will follow will be the usual circus of rewards - diapers for the first five years, clothes from a stylish baby shop, press conferences, furniture, education and more.

The hint that they are being less than honest, is revealed when she shares that she disliked being an only child and she didn't want her daughter to grow up a lonely only child as she did.

The sad part is somewhere on earth, a woman just completed her ninth cycle of IVF and failed to produce one viable egg. This Christmas she'll cry herself to sleep. She'll try to smile and be happy for her toddler's sake, but no one will give her any attention, a Day of Beauty, a trip to the destination of her choice, the opportunity to be on a commercial or endorse their products, or college tuition for her kid.

She will just be told to be thankful that she had one and scolded for being greedy while she plans to add a bedroom to her home to accommodate her 4th.

I think their government will continue to support the family in addition to the free diapers and whatever else they need.

Hopefully she has as much help as she did in Casablanca.

Old 12-20-2022, 08:13 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,681,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post

Good grief, where did that come from? What on earth does a woman who had an unexpected multiple birth (whatever happened, I'm absolutely positive she did not start off intending to have nine babies) have to do with a woman who hasn't been able to conceive her fifth child?

--That would be nothing whatsoever. The woman who had nonuplets has not taken anything away from the mother of four.

Anyway, who goes through nine cycles of IVF to have a fifth child? Who cries herself to sleep because she only has four kids instead of five?

Does anyone think the mother in Mali had a multiple birth in order to get free baby clothes and vacations for herself?

And who knew children would stay in diapers for five years because they were nonuplets?

Old 12-20-2022, 02:40 PM

By the way, they all look adorable and healthy. Which ones would you have "reduced" out of the picture?

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...155652368.html

I don't think many people are going to aspire to giving birth to "supertwins" because of this event. But we should all be thrilled that medical care has advanced to the point that all of these babies were born safely, given expert care as preemies, and are doing well.

Last edited by saibot; 12-20-2022 at 02:52 PM..

Old 12-20-2022, 03:25 PM

18,705 posts, read 33,369,579 times
However "reductions" are decided. It's done very early for multiple pregnancies. It's like any surgical abortion in effect.

Old 12-20-2022, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
However "reductions" are decided. It's done very early for multiple pregnancies. It's like any surgical abortion in effect.
I know what they are and how they are done. That wasn't my point.

Old 12-20-2022, 03:54 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,576,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
By the way, they all look adorable and healthy. Which ones would you have "reduced" out of the picture?

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...155652368.html

I don't think many people are going to aspire to giving birth to "supertwins" because of this event. But we should all be thrilled that medical care has advanced to the point that all of these babies were born safely, given expert care as preemies, and are doing well.
They were born prematurely (30 weeks) apparently. There is little chance that all those babies are healthy and will have a healthy life, being born that prematurely....nine of them. They ranged from 1 to 2 lbs at birth.

There is a long list of lifetime effects of being born that prematurely. If a preemie is born just a little premature (37+ weeks), odds are better that it will be healthy, but these were born at 30 weeks.

Many preemies end up perfectly normal. Many don't. They seem to have a better chance, if they were late premature (37+ weeks). The rise of premature babies has increased in recent years, mainly due to the increase in multiple births, I read.

I hope they're all fine. They won't advertise that they are not, so we'll never know for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting