Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2022, 06:14 PM

880 posts, read 461,913 times

Advertisements

Hi people.
This is not an easy thing to write l've seen many times around forums vulnerable type threads turn into shytshows. Too often end up all being thrown back in the op's face or the op ends up spending 3/4 of the thread defending themselves over misunderstandings. .
So you know , if you don't wanna appreciate this situation and be nice then best go play somewhere else.

My daughters 21 and has had a terrible run with guys and bf's.They don't stick around or fade off or turn all wishy woshy. And l don't say this as her dad but as a male, yet she's a very special girl with so much depth and old soul, a kind heart and fantastic to talk to. Nice looking and l tell you what, if a worthy guy came along she'd be the best partner he'd be finding , it's just how she is.
But we just dk how to advise anymore when something else hits the fan.
The young guys are so different now and everythings sm or date sites, fast, text, Things for her and a lot of her friends just don't happen the way they use to and the guys mostly just aren't that way either.
Seems friendships too are mostly just cheap instant and throw away crap like everything else.

Last edited by randomx; 12-26-2022 at 06:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2022, 06:47 PM

She has met or had a few males friends over the yrs that were really into her and would've been real and hopefully a great partner, almost like old school 20yrs olds .
Unfortunately though she just hasn't felt that way.
l mean l know, only 21, plenty of time yeah. But it would be so nice if at least one thing turned out 1/2 real , half decent, at least lasted a few yrs and didn't end up with her being hurt, again..

Old 12-26-2022, 07:03 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,023,642 times
At 21 I would advise her to go out and have fun. Date casually get to know how the opposite sex thinks. Most men at that age are too immature, not settled or serious enough about career and future. Trying to have a serious relationship with someone that age is generally a heartbreak for a woman looking fo a meaningful relationship. Not to say there isn’t an exception to every rule, but most people experience heartbreak at least once or twice before they find the right person. People can be manipulative to get what they want, they play a great game, the ones that are good at it fool a woman with their charm. That age group is also vulnerable to the charms of others even when they’re dating steady. You can explain to people these things happen but if you haven’t experienced it you don’t really believe it. I’d tell her to get to know her dates well. To let them show her who they are. People reveal themselves over time, usually in short order with youth. Sometimes meeting people who aren’t exactly right is the way you find out what you want and deserve in life. Not to settle. Continue to be strong independent learn and experience what interests her. Her growth is never wasted. She has many years to find her mate who is worthy of her. Enjoy the process it will happen.

Old 12-26-2022, 09:08 PM

64 posts, read 116,392 times
Focus on studying and career or any hobbies they may be interested in, please wait with serious relationships, no need for that at 21.

Old 12-26-2022, 09:16 PM

334 posts, read 182,094 times
floss

Old 12-26-2022, 09:37 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,350,394 times
Does she still live at home? Did she or is she attending college?

Do you live in a small town or larger area? I ask because I often wonder how people in small town areas find partners. How does she meet people? Maybe she needs to expand her horizons a bit?

Old 12-26-2022, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
At 21 I would advise her to go out and have fun. Date casually get to know how the opposite sex thinks. Most men at that age are too immature, not settled or serious enough about career and future. Trying to have a serious relationship with someone that age is generally a heartbreak for a woman looking fo a meaningful relationship. Not to say there isn’t an exception to every rule, but most people experience heartbreak at least once or twice before they find the right person. People can be manipulative to get what they want, they play a great game, the ones that are good at it fool a woman with their charm. That age group is also vulnerable to the charms of others even when they’re dating steady. You can explain to people these things happen but if you haven’t experienced it you don’t really believe it. I’d tell her to get to know her dates well. To let them show her who they are. People reveal themselves over time, usually in short order with youth. Sometimes meeting people who aren’t exactly right is the way you find out what you want and deserve in life. Not to settle. Continue to be strong independent learn and experience what interests her. Her growth is never wasted. She has many years to find her mate who is worthy of her. Enjoy the process it will happen.

Thanks for that and yeah l fully agree but unfortunately at 21 , well , you know.
We've tried to explain all those things and more butttt, sadly to no avail.
She did really try it all too with the last one. He was really good to her, kind and really seemed to care about her, def' not the play around type,she moved slowly, he seemed good even to me and that's a big ask. 6mths later , he wants out too.
lt's really strange some of the friends she's grown up with and that aren't tbh even very nice girls at all some of them and yet have had steady bf's for yrs.
Doesn't help that is for sure. l usually say but yeah , ok now maybe but they won't last being together since 16 17.Meanwhile you'll be finding that right person later on.

Trying to find some silver lining for her.

Old 12-26-2022, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
Does she still live at home? Did she or is she attending college?

Do you live in a small town or larger area? I ask because I often wonder how people in small town areas find partners. How does she meet people? Maybe she needs to expand her horizons a bit?

Nah she's been out awhile now , but that wasn't easy either there's serious rental shortages here.
It is well , smallish , butttt, l grew up in a city of 6million and they've all had a much nicer growing up and social life than me. There's plenty of people about scattered far and wide and she travels about and goes away a lot too.
There's never a shortage of interest butttt, it all goes the same way.
lt's really sad for a dad. Even l was with somebody 3 yrs at her age back then but nothing with all these guys she meets. The main one lasted a yr or so and to begin he was really good but even he went sth.

Old 12-26-2022, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasdoughnuts View Post
Focus on studying and career or any hobbies they may be interested in, please wait with serious relationships, no need for that at 21.

Yeah , we've tried to get that across too.

Old 12-26-2022, 10:14 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,023,642 times
At that age I do remember the time in between boyfriends always seemed long, making you feel terrible. All she can really do is keep busy doing things that give her the most joy as possible. I think what’s going wrong with her boyfriends is just youth. The twenties is a decade of growth especially for women as we seem to be ready we’ll before young men to settle down. She may just be discontented with life in general it’s hard to get excited when life is boring. Maybe a trip somewhere or a job in a field where there’s more young people. A bar/ restaurant is a fun place to work for the young.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting