Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2023, 07:06 AM

987 posts, read 823,816 times

Advertisements

So we have a 20 month old and her cousin( my nieces daughter) is 26 months.
They are pretty close and play well together. I'm happy they have each other.
My niece has asked my wife to watch her daughter twice a week for 6 hours each day.
My wife is ok with it, although it will be alot. My wife does not work.
My niece is telling my wife she wants to pay her but my wife does and doesn't want to take the money..lol.
If she does she would take much less than a babysitter would cost.

Do you think it's right for my wife to take any money?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2023, 07:26 AM

7,098 posts, read 4,823,070 times
Sure, why not? She can use it for food and snacks and whatnot for the babies. It will make the niece feel better, like she’s not “using” your wife for free services.

Heck, you can even just put the money in a small fund for your grand-niece, if your wife really feels bad taking it.

Old 01-19-2023, 07:30 AM

987 posts, read 823,816 times
I agree, she just feels bad taking it. I guess because it’s family.

Old 01-19-2023, 07:54 AM

5,655 posts, read 3,153,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mstrlucky74 View Post
So we have a 20 month old and her cousin( my nieces daughter) is 26 months.
They are pretty close and play well together. I'm happy they have each other.
My niece has asked my wife to watch her daughter twice a week for 6 hours each day.
My wife is ok with it, although it will be alot. My wife does not work.
My niece is telling my wife she wants to pay her but my wife does and doesn't want to take the money..lol.
If she does she would take much less than a babysitter would cost.

Do you think it's right for my wife to take any money?

Thanks.
Yes. 100x yes.

As you and your wife know, watching and taking care of littles is hard work. Man...I LOVE littles. I have a maternal streak a mile long and a mile wide...but let's be real...2 littles will be 2x the hi jinks, 2 times the temper tantrums, 2 times the curiosity and getting in to things they don't need to get into, etc.

I'm sure it's worth it to your neice to know her daughter will be loved and happy, and will happily be willing to pay something.

Old 01-19-2023, 08:08 AM

3,145 posts, read 1,601,500 times
I paid my sister to watch my daughter when she was a baby. My sister also had a baby around the same age. She told me it was like watching twins.

I was happy to pay her and I also considered it a favor since it was a lot of work for not a lot of money.

Old 01-19-2023, 08:51 AM

3,155 posts, read 2,700,812 times
Yes, take the money. Everyone happy.
Niece = Yay! Cheap babysitter, but I don't owe them any favors or have to wonder if they're going to suddenly be unavailable.
Wife = Yay! Money for extra work I'd be doing anyway and I'm not being taken advantage of.

And children are exponential, not linear. 2 kids is 2^2 times as hard, not twice as hard.

Old 01-19-2023, 09:05 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
Sure, why not? She can use it for food and snacks and whatnot for the babies. It will make the niece feel better, like she’s not “using” your wife for free services.

Heck, you can even just put the money in a small fund for your grand-niece, if your wife really feels bad taking it.
This. Even a small amount would add up in a year's time. If the arrangement continues until she's school age, and is put into a bond or other instrument, it could mature into a tidy little sum to help with college living expenses, or post-college rent, or whatever. Grad school, or anything else.

Old 01-19-2023, 01:13 PM

423 posts, read 267,850 times
I think your wife should keep the $ and not feel bad about it.

Your child will enjoy the playmate.

Old 01-19-2023, 01:13 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,733,087 times
Yes, but if your wife starts taking money, there needs to be a formal work agreement outlining a schedule, how much and how often she will be paid, expectations around days off, disciplinary boundaries, etc. Don't make the mistake of being too casual about this arrangement.

Old 01-19-2023, 01:26 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A New Day View Post
I think your wife should keep the $ and not feel bad about it.

Your child will enjoy the playmate.
Yes! My niece has a nephew six months younger than she is. They are in their 30s now and best friends since babyhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting