Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2024, 09:10 PM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times

Advertisements

For parents of two or more kids, of course we know that you love them all equally. But do you have one that you like, or prefer, or care about, or enjoy, more than the others?

My daughter, the younger of my two kids, has for several years proclaimed herself to be my favorite child. She likes to state this "fact" in various ways, such as going onto my phone and changing her contact label from her name to "Favorite Child." I tell her that parents don't play favorites. In response, for Christmas she gave me a customized mug, stating "I don't have a favorite child, but if I did, it would be [her name]." My son is aware of all this, and he'll say that, yeah, he knows she's my favorite. He says this in a joking way and doesn't seem to be upset about it.

So, is she actually my favorite child? I love both my kids equally. I try hard not to favor one of them over the other. But one of them is easier to get along with. One of them is more helpful around the house. One of them is more pleasant and relaxing to spend time with. And yes, it's the one that gave me the mug.

So, what about you? Do you have a favorite child?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2024, 09:47 PM

7,066 posts, read 4,510,340 times
I think a parent’s personality may click better with one child than the others. That’s what I think you are describing. I don’t have a favorite and my relationship with all 3 of my kids has been different throughout the years. My oldest son and I are only 19 years apart and as we both age we have become much closer. If I live long enough we will be seniors together). I love all my kids very much.

Old 01-11-2024, 05:51 AM

22,561 posts, read 47,614,734 times
I do not have a favorite child, but it seems I have a favorite grandchild.

Old 01-11-2024, 08:30 AM

9,847 posts, read 7,712,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I do not have a favorite child, but it seems I have a favorite grandchild.
LOL, me too. I just was telling my mom this last week. She always gets the best gifts because we are so alike and I know what she wants. I don't mean to favor her though and I love all the other grandkids more than words can express.

As for my own 3 kids, no, love them all the same. My youngest also used to proclaim she was my favorite as a joke.

Old 01-11-2024, 09:41 AM

1,847 posts, read 867,463 times
I love both of my kids equally but one is easier while the other is more demanding.

My oldest granddaughter might be my favorite, but only because she is so like me. It's not that I don't love my grandsons, but my husband gets along with them easier for the same reasons I do with my granddaughter. The other kids are real young and I don't get to see them alone without their parents, so I haven't yet really formed a personal relationship with them in the same way I have the older ones.

Old 01-11-2024, 09:47 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
We have three, 2 daughters and a son. We spend more time with the daughter with two kids, because they don't live too far away, and we have a lot to talk about with her. Our son has one baby, but they live over 2 hours away and we would like to spend more time with them but it's not practical. The other daughter still lives with us, yet we probably have less in common with her than the other two. No, we do not have a favorite. What makes holidays and birthdays special is having them all 3 here along with the 3 grandkids.

Old 01-11-2024, 12:08 PM

16,303 posts, read 8,126,207 times
I dont have a favorite child. I love my kids more than life itself and would put both of them in front of me any day, time. I do however know who of my kids makes better choices or if they would go to bat for me, lol.

Old 01-11-2024, 12:29 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
A friend of mine said that you love your children equally, but you don't like them equally.

I've only got one, so no question about who is the favorite, but for parents with more than one child, I think it is really important to treat them equally because it is really hard on the child who is obviously not the favorite and who gets short shift on time, affection, and goods. Sometimes it isn't good for the favored child either who gets spoiled by being favored and doesn't have to work to get anything.

Old 01-11-2024, 01:52 PM

3,149 posts, read 2,695,105 times
I love and like my children equally. They are very different, so it is easy. If I had two or more children of the same gender with similar interests but different personalities, I would probably have a favorite, even if I tried no to.

My kids are night and day different from each other, so it would be hard to play favorites without actively trying to pick one.

Old 01-11-2024, 02:58 PM

7,906 posts, read 3,450,203 times
Whichever one I'm with at the moment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting