Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 07:25 AM

3,872 posts, read 8,714,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Movie Lover View Post
First bit of advice: it is cost effective?
I don't get it. if you dislike children so much, WHY do you keep posting in these threads??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2008, 08:31 AM

1,658 posts, read 3,040,799 times
I don't dislike children.

Old 02-27-2010, 07:41 AM

1 posts, read 1,181 times
I hope you get this...I was just curious if you ended up having baby #3. I am in the same situation. I don't feel complete. I would LOVE a big family. I just have a younger sister...and both of my parents have passed...I love my sister to death...but sometimes I just wish I had more family members. I want my children to have each other as well. I go back and forth on #3. Specially since my daughter is heading into her terrible 2s....she can be a terror sometimes. I have a 3yr old boy and a 1 years old girl. (Birthdays are in August). I was thinking more around the begining on next year...that way, my children would be 5 and 3 by the time a baby was here. I have the best of both worlds...I have my boy and I have my girl...AND I am blessed to be able to stay at home with them. Everytime I think I am "done" having kids...its usually when the kids are throwing fits...but this to shall pass....right? lol My husband in the begining was telling me NO MORE KIDS. But now...He is talking baby talk...like what would we name the baby...and he asks the kids...would you like a baby in the house...if hes not serious then thats a horrible joke. I just think he is unsure as much as I am...I just dont show it, because I want to be the "Confident" Mom. There are just so many pros and cons and Im just not sure. I guess to the Moms out there who have 3...are they happy with their decision?

Old 02-27-2010, 07:48 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,092,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBulgrin View Post
I just have a younger sister...and both of my parents have passed...I love my sister to death...but sometimes I just wish I had more family members. I want my children to have each other as well. I go back and forth on #3. .............There are just so many pros and cons and Im just not sure. I guess to the Moms out there who have 3...are they happy with their decision?
I shared in another thread that my mother purposely had more than two children because she came from a family of two and her brother died at 17 years old. She didn't want any of us to be without an extended family as adults. I'm glad she made that decision because two of my siblings died as young adults. If she had only had two children, I wouldn't have any siblings. Heck, I wouldn't even be alive since I'm one of the middle children. But you get my point.

Old 02-27-2010, 08:48 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,385,802 times
I just had my third child and she's been a blessing to our family. I can't imagine life without her even though she's only one month old.

In my case, she was a surprise baby. My older kids are 10 and 8 and I'm 40. I had been told after #2 that it would be nearly impossible for my to get pregnant without fertility treatments so I never expected to have a third child. It was something that was definately meant to be since we weren't trying to conceive. My husband didn't believe I was pregnant until he came to the first ultrasound.

Anyway, my older two girls love to help take care of their little sister. They fight over who gets to pick out her outfit in the morning and are always eager to change her diaper or help me bathe her. My husband was a bit nervous at first (he's in his late 40s and was worried about being an older dad), but she's the light of his life.

My only advice would be to try to space #3 closer to #2 than we did. Our youngest will be at home for 8 years after #2 goes off to college and I'm sure she'll miss having sibling around although she'll proably be a bit more spoiled when it comes to getting our undivided attention and have more material things than her older sisters.

Old 02-27-2010, 09:06 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,092,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMc46 View Post
My only advice would be to try to space #3 closer to #2 than we did. Our youngest will be at home for 8 years after #2 goes off to college and I'm sure she'll miss having sibling around although she'll proably be a bit more spoiled when it comes to getting our undivided attention and have more material things than her older sisters.
That's very good advice. Even 6 years makes a huge difference. My youngest sister is 6 years younger. She doesn't even really have a relationship with my oldest siblings because they went away to college while she was a toddler or in early elementary school. She only has a strong relationship with me and my sister who are 6 and 8 years older. But it's not a normal sibling relationship. We're from totally different generations! I was like a 1970s hippy, my other sister was like a 1970s disco queen, and my little sister is like a 1980s valley girl. Alternately, I wasn't very close to my sister who was 6 years older than me either. She went away to college when I was entering 7th grade. I only got to know her as an adult in my late 20s.

Old 03-11-2012, 09:53 PM

1 posts, read 697 times
My husband and I are in a place right now where it's now or never to try for our third. I'm so confused everything is perfect right now our oldest is a son (6) youngest is our daughter (3). I'm 38 stay at home mom and i just can't make up my mind if we should have a third. Doesnt every mom feel the need/emptiness for another baby? Why can't I just be grateful and fullfilled with the two children I have. Why can't I just enjoy them and enjoy each stage of their lives? I'm home and if we don't have a third I will go back to work in another year and it will really help us live a little more. Help can't make this decision!

Old 03-12-2012, 04:36 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,744,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momoftwo2012 View Post
My husband and I are in a place right now where it's now or never to try for our third. I'm so confused everything is perfect right now our oldest is a son (6) youngest is our daughter (3). I'm 38 stay at home mom and i just can't make up my mind if we should have a third. Doesnt every mom feel the need/emptiness for another baby? Why can't I just be grateful and fullfilled with the two children I have. Why can't I just enjoy them and enjoy each stage of their lives? I'm home and if we don't have a third I will go back to work in another year and it will really help us live a little more. Help can't make this decision!
If having a third means any sort of negative impact to the children you already have don't you owe it to them not to have another one?

Besides maybe you are just nervous about the change in shifting roles from SAHM of babies to WM of children. Most people ate nervous about change at some point or another.

Anyway why would another baby make you a fulfilled mother more when your other two did not? That may warrant talking to someone professionally. Because eventually that third baby will grow up as well. All you would be doing is delaying that shift.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:27 AM

24,125 posts, read 32,504,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyBean View Post
Any advice? We have two girls ages 5 and 3 and we are thinking of adding one more....
This is so personnel but you asked so I will give my opinion, because mine are strong on this.

I think families of two are small and lonely. As your daughters grow up they are more lonely, both for you and your daughters.

There is no guarantee that either will marry and have grand children. Will their children get along?

I have only two, and they are teens. I am blessed that they get along, but empty nest time is fast arriving. I dread it.

I always wanted at least four children." A sister for ever sister, A brother for every brother, a sister for every brother". That does not always happen but it's what my dream was.
I have two because I had infertility problems. I am thinking of adoption now.

I would say "go for it"

Old 03-12-2012, 09:39 AM

24,125 posts, read 32,504,304 times
I also think that larger families are more cohesive. Children are more likely to help out. Do chores. I'm traditional when it comes to the home and an equal number of parents to children seems to give older kids a false sense of power. The dynamics seem more individualistic than cohesive. As they become older it's worse.

If you feel something is missing - it is. I really envy people who are able to chose the size of their family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting